Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 03:22 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,558 times

Advertisements

I don't lick the plate.
If there is milk left in the cereal bowl I add more cereal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 04:15 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Frankly, I don't see the difference between licking the plate (again, not necessarily in a restaurant or someone else's house, but alone in your own) and licking the spoon. The point is not to leave food behind! I guess I'm uncivilized...

Old 08-01-2018, 04:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't lick plates. That's a little too "piggy with his face in the trough" for me.

I use the spoon to get the milk out of the cereal bowl. But I also don't use a lot of milk, so there's not much left once the cereal is gone.
Pretty much this though I rarely eat cereal anymore.

I don't think I could bring myself to literally lick a plate even in the privacy of my own home. It has ever even occurred to me.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:50 PM

569 posts, read 671,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I was surprised to hear the horror, dismay, and general outrage expressed on another message board about someone licking his plate when he was done eating. There was nearly as much pearl-clutching about drinking the milk out of the bowl after the cereal is gone. How many will admit to doing this, at least when eating alone? Any other "gauche" table manners you want to confess to? I say waste not, want not.
I have a feeling I know what board you were reading. Duggars?

Old 08-01-2018, 05:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
No to licking the plate.

Yes to drinking cereal milk (the half-dozen, tops, times a year I actually eat cold cereal, anyway)...but no to licking the bowl.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:33 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I was surprised to hear the horror, dismay, and general outrage expressed on another message board about someone licking his plate when he was done eating. There was nearly as much pearl-clutching about drinking the milk out of the bowl after the cereal is gone. How many will admit to doing this, at least when eating alone? Any other "gauche" table manners you want to confess to? I say waste not, want not.
You will never see me doing it at someone else's house or in public but yes, I've licked plates I had to get all of that maple syrup off one several months ago, lol.

I'm surprised that people would find it shocking to drink the cereal milk. When I was growing up, you would get chewed out if you DIDN'T drink the cereal milk since it was considered wasteful. I use soy milk now but yes, I still drink the milk out of the bowl when the cereal is gone. Outside of not being wasteful, the cereal-infused milk usually tastes really good. Why can't we have cereal-milk flavored milk in various popular cereal brands? I'd buy it!

I'm not even going to tell the pearl-clutchers about the 10-second rule I have for dropped food on a clean floor

Old 08-01-2018, 05:59 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
You guys need a dog, they will take care of what you dropped on the floor to

Yeah, my dad's family was a bunch of hillbillies that lived in a log cabin in the wilderness. They had a deerskin in place of a front door. When they finished their dinner, they let their pack of hounds inside, to lick the plates and bowls clean. That saved a lot of dishwashing work. Well, at least that's the way my grandmother on my mother's side described them.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Ick, that sounds gross.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:04 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times
Licking a plate seems to me to be too 'dog like' and gross, but I will drink the leftover milk in the cereal bowl. Two different actions - no licking required when you just tip the bowl and drink from it like a glass.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:14 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,564 times
I would love to lick my plate but I've got a yorkie who eyeballs me to make sure I leave her something to lap up. Sorry honey, the last of the milk is mine (slurp).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink