Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,492 times

Advertisements

I grill Tri Tip often and with good results. We have two gas grills, a charcoal grill and a pellet grill/smoker made by Treager. I use the natural gas grill for the Tri Tip, which is marinated for about four hours and taken out of the refrigerator until it reaches room temperature. I start our Weber grill on high, allow it to reach a temp of 500 degrees, then after putting the meat on the grill, I turn off the center burner and turn the other two burners down to just below medium. After 1/2 hour I check internal temp with a thermometer, take if off the grill, tent it with foil for 10 minutes and then slice and set on table. Always cook with the lid closed. Never had a flop yet.

The marinate seems to be the secret behind the good taste of Tri Tip cooked this way. I've used the pellet grill/smoker for many beef and pork roasts and have always had good results. I've injected roasts, used dry rubs and have misted the roasts with apple juice or bourbon. I always use a thermometer to keep an eye on the temp inside the grill (lid always closed), and a remote thermometer which is inserted into the meat and has the actual meter on the outside of the grill. I keep records of all the temp readings and whether the grill is set on high, medium, or low/smoke. I've always had good results using this grill, but I keep an eye on everything and record settings and results.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 02-21-2010 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Was the OP talking about a Tri-tip Roast?

are you talking about a tri-tip roast?

I believe a TT is smaller cut than a brisket, but its still a roast.

It is the bottom portion of the sirloin. In many part of the country, it was one of the parts of the carcass that was made into ground beef. In California, it was marketed as a small roast good for grilling.

IMO, it was brought east by Costco and Trader Joe's where it has been readily available.

It is not related or very similar to the brisket.

Some people use it for fajitas but personally, I prefer using skirt steaks.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:12 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,592,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is the bottom portion of the sirloin. In many part of the country, it was one of the parts of the carcass that was made into ground beef. In California, it was marketed as a small roast good for grilling.

IMO, it was brought east by Costco and Trader Joe's where it has been readily available.

It is not related or very similar to the brisket.

Some people use it for fajitas but personally, I prefer using skirt steaks.
So in WI they are possibly just using it for hamburger
What doorknobs and waste of a good cut!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
So in WI they are possibly just using it for hamburger
What doorknobs and waste of a good cut!
And there are cuts popular and developed in the midwest that are unavailable elsewhere. Personally, I would take the top sirloin over the tri-tip any day. If you go beyond the medium stage on a tri tip, you will wish it was hamburger.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,592,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And there are cuts popular and developed in the midwest that are unavailable elsewhere. Personally, I would take the top sirloin over the tri-tip any day. If you go beyond the medium stage on a tri tip, you will wish it was hamburger.
I wish you would have named them I will agree to disagree with you. Tri-tip isn't meant to be cooked past medium (course I don't like my meat char broiled) Tri-tip is more of a roast imo; sirloin isn't.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:36 PM

541 posts, read 2,137,762 times
Oooh! We are having tri tip tonight!!! I normally take it out a few hours before cooking and poke it a few times with a fork before putting it in a ziplock bag with marinade. I marinade it for a couple of hours then roast in the oven at 425 degrees for about 45-60 minutes. Comes out perfect every time!!! Oh, and I DO NOT cut off the extra fat before cooking as I as told it helps keep the meat moist while cooking (you can cut it off before eating).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink