Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,967 times

Advertisements

Whats your best recipie for grilling/BBQ?
how about marinade or rubs??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 08:51 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Here is a dry rub recipe that I really like- I make a ton of it and store it in a baggie. Don't even know where it came from- it's on the back of a spice-stained business card!

2 T paprika
1 t. black pepper
1 t. dark brown sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. celery salt
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. dry mustard
1 t. cumin
1/4 t. cayenne pepper

Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times
I've only smoked it to about 150-155* internal w/a rub of k.salt/blk pepper, and garlic pwdr. Then we use a meat slicer to slice against the grain as thin as we can. makes the best french dip sandies I've ever had.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Cooking my first tri tip tonight.... any suggestions?

How best to prepare the cut, and how to cook? I removed a lot of the fat, but left a thin layer on. I know to have it room temperature, no problem there. Next question is how to grill it. Sear it on both sides, and then remove from direct heat? Or let it cook over hot coals, flame and not worry about it?

I have a gas grill, but lately I've taken to charcoal for most of my outdoor cooking. I'm also partial to rubs than marinade. I hear no rub should be used at all. Any experience?

Thanks

Old 02-15-2010, 05:06 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
I have no suggestions on cooking it, but last week's food section in the Chronicle had an article on Tri-tip cooking. You might check their website.

Where did you get it? I've never seen one in the stores around here.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 PM

Default Heb

HEB sells them; I was surprised when I asked for it, I thought it was a cut you had to request, or that I would have to go to Fiesta. But the HEB on 99/Fry road has them packaged in the meat section.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:18 PM

Default It was delicious!

So, I took the meat out four hours before cooking it, let it get room temperature. I made a dry rub of freshly ground pepper and sea salt, and garlic powder. I rubbed it on the meat, let is sit for a couple of hours.

For heat I made a stack on one side of the grill, then seared each side of the meat for five minutes directly above the hot charcoals. I ignored the flaring. After both sides were seared, I moved it over to the other side of the grill to cook for ~20-30 minutes with just the heat.

Wow, this is one great piece of meat. It was cooked medium/rare. The juice that comes out was great, 'should have made some sort of sauce, but did not, but will next time. The family loved it, and we were pleased with our first grilled tri tip!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
So, I took the meat out four hours before cooking it, let it get room temperature. I made a dry rub of freshly ground pepper and sea salt, and garlic powder. I rubbed it on the meat, let is sit for a couple of hours.

For heat I made a stack on one side of the grill, then seared each side of the meat for five minutes directly above the hot charcoals. I ignored the flaring. After both sides were seared, I moved it over to the other side of the grill to cook for ~20-30 minutes with just the heat.

Wow, this is one great piece of meat. It was cooked medium/rare. The juice that comes out was great, 'should have made some sort of sauce, but did not, but will next time. The family loved it, and we were pleased with our first grilled tri tip!
Was the OP talking about a Tri-tip Roast?

are you talking about a tri-tip roast?

I believe a TT is smaller cut than a brisket, but its still a roast.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 PM

Default Yes...

I believe it is also known as a TT Roast. It was about 2lbs. Good stuff!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Yes good stuff! This was a commonly known and easily found cut of meat in CA. My ex-MIL would cook it similar to prime rib in the oven (at a low temperature, and then let it sit for a time with the heat off, after which it produced a mega rich juice.)

My dad went to great lengths to find it for me in WI, and finally found what the butcher thought it was, but it didn't seem quite the same. Maybe it was me as the cook. Happy eating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink