Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 03:54 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I also enjoy my grocery store trips. But I'm retired, with time on my hands. I can see how a time-challenged younger person might love the convenience of home delivery.
I'll never understand that. I'm 61 and work two jobs (one being seasonal and part time), still make time for grocery shopping and enjoy it. Also do a bit of charcuterie, mostly sausage making. Even when our daughter was still living at home we still made the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 11:49 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Meanwhile he earned $20 in the time it would have taken.
haha - except we are clocked out at 12 - 1 for lunch. so he was sitting there waiting for his lunch off the clock and had to scarf it down quickly to be back at his desk....

Old 08-10-2018, 01:45 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
haha - except we are clocked out at 12 - 1 for lunch. so he was sitting there waiting for his lunch off the clock and had to scarf it down quickly to be back at his desk....

Of course, I have no clue about your personal situation, I was just subtly making the point that frugality is not always about how you spend your money but also about how you spend your time.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:30 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
I have figured out for myself, that it has to be one of my favorite restaurants like TLT catering, and the best off the menu to justify the UE's delivery charge.

Doesn't make sense for El Pollo Loco.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
We occasionally use Door Dash but there have been some big errors, like an entire entrée missing, so I always prefer to go pick up my own food. I'm really glad it's an option though.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:34 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
I can see why people like it. I’ve never used it but some of my friends do frequently and love it. Also as for service like anything it depends on the person providing it. I was in El Pollo Loco a couple weeks ago and saw a GrubHub guy picking up an order. He was off to the side counter and was very meticulous about everything. Made sure they had all their sauces and condiments and napkins and silverware etc.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:41 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Have you ever have pizza delivered? Really, this isn’t any different than pizza delivery, which has been going on for decades.
I make sure to give good tips, if I am going to order from them again.....don`t want those that handle my food upset with me

Old 08-11-2018, 05:22 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
A friend of mine uses Grubhub via its internet website.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:52 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
No I actually don't have pizza delivered. I live in an area where its a 2-5 minute drive to many different restaurants - pizza, ethnic (Chinese, Indian, Greek, Vietnamese, Japanese), fast casual, upscale steakhouse, fast food, etc. - so its easier for me to either go out to eat or order take-out and bring it home. Due to where I live, restaurant delivery is just paying extra to get my food slower than I can get it myself. I prefer to save the money and the time.
The neighborhood I live in has over 20 pizza places within a three mile radius. We counted once just for fun because we have never lived anywhere with this many restaurants and pizza places.

On Friday and Saturday evenings our neighborhood has a steady parade for of pizza delivery vehicles entering and leaving the neighborhood. We live in a neighborhood with only one entrance and no thru traffic so the pizza vehicles are very noticeable. At times there have been traffic jams made up of pizza delivery vehicles.

My kids, when they were younger, used to count pizza delivery vehicles and tally them to determine which pizza place “won” on any given evening.

Some of my friends live in a nearby gated neighborhood that has tall wrought iron gates that slowly open when you put in a code. Each resident has a special code just for pizza delivery drivers.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:58 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Of course, I have no clue about your personal situation, I was just subtly making the point that frugality is not always about how you spend your money but also about how you spend your time.
Exactly. Same reason why some people prefer to pay someone to clean their house, mow their lawn, detail their vehicles, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink