Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 01:35 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
a delivery service for restaurants....never heard of such a thing.....
how much do you charge if I wanted 3 items off mcdonalds dollar menu?? god, I hope its not more than the food
They usually tack on an extra % to the normal food prices, that's how they make their money.

I wouldn't personally use it for mcdonalds though unless you're ordering for the entire family, because I think they tack on an additional fee for orders under a certain dollar amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 02:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
I used Uber Eats several times while staying at a hotel with limited offerings.

The first time UE forgot a couple of items.

The other times were fine it just seemed a bit expensive $9-10 charge for food delivery for $30-40 worth of food.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:16 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
It's also sometimes cheaper than eating out if you consider the tips, especially if you're ordering close to home (you still need to tip the Uber delivery driver though.) It's also a lot less time consuming since you don't need to wait for an open table.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
I use GrubHub and Amazon who now has a restaurant delivery service. Happy with both and use when we do not feel like cooking.

I always tip well..

Old 08-05-2018, 10:29 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I am paranoid and don't like the idea of a stranger bringing my food to me, and having that food sit for an unknown time while being delivered. I want my food handed to me from the people who made it while its hot.

Fortunately I live close to many restaurants so its not a problem; my life is not adversely affected by not using a food delivery app.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:01 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
If it's difficult to leave your job for lunch, why not take your own, from home? There's nothing you couldn't have and it wouldn't cost you extra. Many workplaces will have a refrigerator for the employees. If not, then get a heavily-insulated lunch bag and stick a couple of gel-packs in with the food, that have been frozen in your refrigerator overnight. If you want something hot, like soup or chili, then put it in a Thermos bottle and carry it outside the bag.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 08-06-2018 at 02:15 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 11:28 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If it's difficult to leave your job for lunch, why not take your own, from home? There's nothing you couldn't have and it wouldn't cost you extra. Many workplaces will have a refrigerator for the employees. If not, then get a heavily-insulated lunch bag and stick a couple of gel-packs in with the food, that have been frozen in your refrigerator overnight. If you want something hot, like soup or chili, then put it in a Thermos bottle and carry it outside the bag.
Here’s the thing: I don’t like the brown bag routine. It’s just my little quirk, I haven’t like taking my lunch to work. I love to cook and often have delicious leftovers at home that I will happily eat at home. But when I am at work I like to order lunch out, or go out to eat.

And yes, I have at least a dozen really cool insulated lunch bags. Some of them are self-freezing, so you just place the entire lunch bag in the freezer overnight and the gel lining freezes. I have a Yeti-Style lunch bag that will probably keep my lunch frozen for three days.

I can’t tell you how many times I have seen a nice lunch bag at the store, complete with special containers designed to keep hot food hot, cold food cold, crisp food crisp, etc. and I think, “Yeah, this is the one! I will start taking my lunch to work every day.” Nope, I probably use it once and then it goes on the shelf in the garage with the rest of the lunch boxes i thought I would use.

I realize I would save money and time by taking my lunch. And I always have good food at home that I could take. I just don’t like to brown bag it.

Probably it goes back to first grade when I had to line up in the “Bringers” lunch line instead of the “Buyers” lunch line

Old 08-06-2018, 11:47 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Don’t store your credit card information in your account.. enter it every time. These companies don’t care if it’s “you” they are delivering to.
I don’t keep a big balance on my debit card that is stored.

If a thief steals my card information they won’t be able to order much

Old 08-06-2018, 11:57 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I am paranoid and don't like the idea of a stranger bringing my food to me, and having that food sit for an unknown time while being delivered. I want my food handed to me from the people who made it while its hot.
1. You can be as paranoid as you want. These strangers are vetted and reviewed.

2. It’s not an unknown time; there is literally a GPS tracker timer following the driver’s every single move. You will know exactly when your meal is arriving.

3. No one hands you food who made it. That would be the chef or background worker who you will never see. Even McDonalds and Subway will have a separate person handing you your meal, also known as the cashier.

4. The food will be hot unless the driver gets stuck in traffic, which is your fault as you should know when and when not to order. Even so, just report that it’s not hot and you’ll get a free meal or discount next time

Your paranoia is in vain.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:00 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I use GrubHub and Amazon who now has a restaurant delivery service. Happy with both and use when we do not feel like cooking.

I always tip well..
I agree, I don’t always feel like cooking or driving to a restaurant, so delivery is a good option. The fee and tip are worth it IMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink