Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 06:16 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times

Advertisements

A month or so ago we received a coupon for a free 1/2 gallon of a premium brand of milk when we bought one of our regular brands of healthy cereal. We always thought milk was milk up to that point.

Wrong! These premium brands of milk, we have tried two different brands now, are better tasting and the color is actually whiter. In addition, they do not containing any residual growth hormones or other drugs since these milks are obtained from dairy farms that are 100% organic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 07:31 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,461 times
When we buy milk for cheese making, we buy raw milk from an organic market. Do they pasteurize the milk you bought?

Old 08-05-2018, 07:59 AM

61,637 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Are you talking about Fairlife milk, a product of ... Coca-Cola company?
Well, it's premium because it has half the sugar, none of the lactose, and more protein and calcium than non-premium milk produced by non-Coca-Cola-affiliated cows.
Of course all that dairy innovation comes with a price - premium milk carry a heftier price tag.
The encouraging sales come despite plenty of criticism for the processed milk. Stephen Colbert has called the product “extra expensive science milk” that seemed as if “they got Frankenstein to lactate.”

Fairlife is an ultra filtered milk. At the federal level, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) bans the interstate sale or distribution of raw milk. You can buy it from local farmers, though.
Drinking or otherwise consuming raw milk is legal in all 50 states.
https://milk.procon.org/view.resourc...ourceID=005192

modcut

Last edited by Beretta; 08-05-2018 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: off topic portion removed

Old 08-05-2018, 10:55 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
Milk from our local dairy is way more than "ordinary" milk. It's not scientific or anything, just local and probably fresher, but why then, without shipping costs, does it cost more? I haven't yet paid the premium to find out if it tastes better, but I did have their eggnog around the holidays and I'm addicted now and can't imagine buying any other brand.

Another "premium" brand here is Left Field. Does anyone know why I should pay more for their milk?

Old 08-05-2018, 06:49 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Fairlife Dairies LLC use Coco-Cola as their marketing partner. Coca-Cola does not own the dairies or process the milk.

Yes, we use both Fairlife and Left Field Farms milk. Different local grocers sell each brand.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:40 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I’ll just add that I have started buying Organic ultra pasteurized milk because of the long shelf life. There are just the two of us and I was always throwing out spoiled milk. Now I never do.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:49 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,009 times
My daughter & I are both lactose intolerant, her more than me. I have NEVER liked milk until I tried Fairlife. We both love it. We do call it Frankenmilk. It is less sweet & has a thicker mouth feel. I find it very satisfying & tasty.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:50 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ll just add that I have started buying Organic ultra pasteurized milk because of the long shelf life. There are just the two of us and I was always throwing out spoiled milk. Now I never do.
I buy shelf stable milk for when I run out before shopping day and for emergency food/beverage. Love the taste but too expensive for me to use all the time. Never have milk go to waste at my place.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:57 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
I'm not sure about "premium" milk, but if one can buy it locally (or as close to the source as possible), without growth hormones, that's premium enough. The smaller sources are usually better quality than the mega-companies (obviously). I couldn't imagine buying milk connected with Coca-Cola, for example.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:23 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
A month or so ago we received a coupon for a free 1/2 gallon of a premium brand of milk when we bought one of our regular brands of healthy cereal. We always thought milk was milk up to that point.

Wrong! These premium brands of milk, we have tried two different brands now, are better tasting and the color is actually whiter. In addition, they do not containing any residual growth hormones or other drugs since these milks are obtained from dairy farms that are 100% organic.
NO milk you buy has growth hormones or any drugs. Every tank of milk on every farm is tested before the milk hauler will take it. Because HIS tanker has to be tested before he's allowed to unload it. And if his tanker has any tainted milk he has to dump the whole thing, and it comes out of his pocket. He's not going to risk that any more than the farmer is going to risk having his entire bulk tank of milk refused by the hauler and dumping it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink