Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times

Advertisements

About five years ago I switched from diet to regular coke then a couple months later went cold turkey on them and stopped.

Every once in a while I'll jones for an ice cold coca-cola over ice but it passes.

I've maybe had two or three in the past five years.

Sugar is horrible for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 02:06 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Soda used to be a treat for me. Then I moved out and like many people first on their own, discovered the joys of buying what I want with no one to stop me I also worked at a restaurant and we were allowed to drink any soft drinks they sold for free.

At some point I cut way back on the soda and rarely bought it for the house, and really only got it when I went out to eat. No idea why because those mixed sodas you get from a spigot really taste horrible, but that's what I did.

Then I went through a stressful divorce and pretty much stopped eating. I'm too ashamed to say what I lived on for over 6 months, but soda was part of it. That was quite a few years ago and I am still drinking it.

I rarely drink caffeinated soda, get real sugar soda as much as possible and rarely finish a whole one in one sitting. Like someone else said, I usually open the bottle and have a couple of sips then put it back.

If I was working out more, it would bother my stomach more at high exertion and I'd be forced to cut back.

Some day I'd like to go back to the "treat" theory.

<edit> I don't drink any coffee or tea whatsoever

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 08-15-2018 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 02:10 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I never drank soda with sugar. Always diet, going back to the first diet sodas to hit the market. I still drink them.

Personally I think I already gave up too much. I don't eat anything I like already. Why give up the drinks I like too?

However I can tell you something interesting. I can say for sure that I do drop weight better if I am not drinking diet soda. It shouldn't be true for anyone. But it's true for me.
Aspartame is worse for you than sugar.

The pancreas reacts to aspartame exactly as it does towards sugar so you aren't saving any calories. Diet drinks have been proven to cause you to gain weight.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Aspartame is worse for you than sugar.

The pancreas reacts to aspartame exactly as it does towards sugar so you aren't saving any calories. Diet drinks have been proven to cause you to gain weight.
This is true however the amount of sugar in a regular coke as an example is insane. Many do not realize. and they don't tell you these things. There really should be warning labels on it just like with cigarettes.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:56 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quit Pepsi. Except for the sugar version (both of which are horrible for you) the stuff was getting really nasty. Don't think so? Leave it out overnight and then take a sip. It is like drinking Molasses Syrup. You will be disgusted and ward off soda for ever!

I drink sparkling water now...enjoy the fizz; don't miss the "sweet taste" at all.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:10 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Diet Coke is my vice! I just gave up eating beef and pork... will work on the soda thing at a later date.

I am impressed with those who gave it up, thank you for sharing.

Good luck OP! You can do it!

Old 08-15-2018, 03:21 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I've never drank a lot of pop, but I do have a soft spot for Diet Dr Pepper. If I buy a 12-pack I might drink 2, maybe 3 cans a week, so it's not like an addiction. I drink plenty of water all day, so I let myself have that vice guilt-free.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I have had a habit of drinking soda and I’m trying to quit; anybody else here that is trying to give up on soda also?
I haven’t had it in years. It’s not that hard. Just drink something else. I personally prefer Black Cherry Propel.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:33 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
I pretty much did away with soda - seltzer is my thing now. I even like water in the summertime.

But Soda is just one evil. Folks should cut down big time on the fruit and sweet drinks. When I have that desire I may have a smoothie since it's a lot of food along with the sugars.

The Polar frosts are pretty good, IMHO....zero calorie and sweet, but most are sour flavors.

I think cutting down on fruit juices is my #1 health advantage as I age....I just don't keep them in the refrigerator any more.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've never drank a lot of pop, but I do have a soft spot for Diet Dr Pepper. If I buy a 12-pack I might drink 2, maybe 3 cans a week, so it's not like an addiction. I drink plenty of water all day, so I let myself have that vice guilt-free.
Dr. Pepper is good stuff....I bought some Diet DP and it was in bottles. That way I could have an afternoon small caffeine hit and only drink 1/2 a bottle.....

Moderation in all things I guess. But those sugars really can add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink