Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:48 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times

Advertisements

I eat a lot of wild caught salmon and haddock, flounder, and sole. All wild caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 12:01 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Friday- ?

What time is dinner?

Friday was fish tacos after listening to music outdoors on the lawn at a local vineyard until 8pm. I think it was little pieces of breaded/fried haddock. Two tacos was $10.00.

Saturday was grilled swordfish. The fish market had pieces for $4.99/pound. I made my standard rice vinegar/soy/sesame oil/toasted sesame seed/wasabi powder/chopped ginger/chopped scallion sauce. Caprese salad with tomatoes and basil from the plants on the deck.

Sunday was a late lunch at the beach for 6 people. Boneless chicken thighs marinated in store bought Korean BBQ sauce and grilled on the Weber. Corn on the cob. Spinach salad. No seafood.

Lunch today was shrimp, spicy linguica, vidalia onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and Goya sazon con azafran seasoning. No clue what we'll do for dinner. I have a dozen littleneck clams I need to use. I might just toss them on the Weber until they open and eat them with cocktail sauce.

I have a couple of pounds of scallops in the freezer I need to use. A pound of bacon in the fridge. I used up the tooth picks on Sunday serving the sliced Korean BBQ chicken thighs. Scallops & bacon soon.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:25 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Please, they do not feed fish just corn. Farm-raised fish are fed fish-meal, which has a blend of ingredients, including corn and fish-oil. Depending on the exact diet, farm-raised fish can have even higher levels of
Omega-3 when compared to wild fish.
Thanks. That's why I added "or so I read" to my post. I don't personally know.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:29 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
I agree with Mightyqueen on this one ... after everything I've read, I stay away from farm raised. Wild salmon has fewer calories and half the fat content of farmed salmon. Farmed contains higher levels of inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids (saturated fat) — and that's fat you do not want. Plus, farm feed makers save money by bulking up the fish’s food pellets with soy - I stay away from anything soy because it affects your hormones.

https://www.organics.org/wild-salmon...raised-salmon/
https://www.eatthis.com/shocking-fac...farmed-salmon/

Only WILD for me!
I prefer wild-caught because I think there might be something to the farm-raised cautions. Humans are going to produce food in the way that is most profitable for them. That's their priority, not our health. However, if I had the inclination, I'd probably like to see who paid for these studies on both sides.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:51 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
I eat seafood almost every day.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:49 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
about 2 times a month. Seafood is expensive here in NY. But I do buy shrimp a lot and salmon for my DH. My DH would like to eat it everyday if we could afford to. I refused to eat canned fish other than tuna for tuna fish salad and anything farm raised.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:56 PM

560 posts, read 539,689 times
we eat seafood 2-3x a week; wild caught. So that makes it about 9-12 seafood meals a month. One of our kids have quite few food allergies; cannot eat eggs in any form, all form of tree nuts, no PB, etc. He doesn't seem to like meat as much rest of family do, but loves seafood though! Since seafood is a protein all 4 of us can eat reliably, 2-3x a week it is for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink