Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 01:57 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Not sure if you mean a "supermarket"' brand, or a good national brand that is sold in supermarkets. I buy Bumblebee, and have no problem with it.

What do you mean, "Now that albacore has become a thing"?
National brand sold in grocery stores; I would call store-name brands "generic" and am not brave enough to try those.

I believe there was a perception -- or at least I had one -- that albacore was superior. Not necessarily so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Are the cans still getting smaller? I remember 8 oz., then 7, 6.5 ........
Lots of water; I always drain by opening the top and pressing down, squeezing it dry, and it seems there's much less left in the can than there used to be.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:23 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,773,520 times
I just found some Choice Landing Skipjack Chunk water-packed tuna at Grocery Outlet. The mother company is Ocean Naturals. I thought I'd try one can and see what I thought before I got more.

I'm impressed. I expected the usual chunk tuna with lots of water and floating bits and pieces. Not at all. There is minimal water - no soy - and salt. That's it. The can is full of solid packed tuna. Very tasty! If you have access to it, I'd recommend giving it a try. I went back and bought ten more cans. The ones I bought have a use-by date of next February so I know I'll use them by then. I may make a bunch of tuna casserole and freeze it so I'll be covered for months to come plus it will be good for salads and such in the meantime.

Here's a link to the Ocean Naturals website speaking specifically to the Skipjack which they catch. You can even put in your can's code and find out exactly which ship and which captain caught your tuna.

https://oceannaturals.com/responsibly-caught/skipjack/

Old 09-03-2018, 03:30 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hope that some alternative rock band takes the title of this thread as its name.
Too funny

Old 09-03-2018, 08:28 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
National brand sold in grocery stores; I would call store-name brands "generic" and am not brave enough to try those.

I believe there was a perception -- or at least I had one -- that albacore was superior. Not necessarily so.
It has to be 'Solid White Albacore' (preferably packed in water).

It would seem some companies are using 'Chunk Light Albacore' (wtf??) and 'Chunk Light Tuna' interchangeably lately.

"....5. Albacore is a specific type of tuna while tuna is a more general term that has many subtypes like bluefin and yellowfin among others."

Read more: Difference Between Albacore and Tuna | Difference Between Difference Between Albacore and Tuna | Difference Between

Old 09-04-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
It has to be 'Solid White Albacore' (preferably packed in water).

It would seem some companies are using 'Chunk Light Albacore' (wtf??) and 'Chunk Light Tuna' interchangeably lately.

"....5. Albacore is a specific type of tuna while tuna is a more general term that has many subtypes like bluefin and yellowfin among others."

Read more: Difference Between Albacore and Tuna | Difference Between Difference Between Albacore and Tuna | Difference Between
I tried the SOLID WHITE ALBACORE (Starkist and Chicken of the Sea) as well as CHUNK WHITE ALBACORE; both horrible.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:43 AM

35 posts, read 24,019 times
I just found an inexpensive store brand of "chunk light tuna" that is exactly as I remember ordinary canned tuna used to be...actual large chunks closely packed in, and no soy! And definitely no mush. I am impressed.

It is Signature Kitchens Chunk Light Tuna in Water, a 5 oz can, available at Albertson's and Safeway. I think the regular price is 89 or 99 cents, but I got it for 59 cents a can with a coupon from the store ad.

Yes, the pricier brands such as Wild Planet are also superior, but this works for me for everyday. Here's hoping they don't go and change it now that I have found it.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:44 AM

Wow; that's great! Thanks for sharing.

Is it the added soy that makes cans of tuna mushy these days?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 09-12-2018, 12:39 PM

35 posts, read 24,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Wow; that's great! Thanks for sharing.

Is it the added soy that makes cans of tuna mushy these days?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Hi Otter,

If you are asking me what makes the tuna mushy, I confess I do not know. It sure seems to be universally despised, though.

I just opened my 3rd can of this tuna. It has somewhat fewer big chunks than the other 2 cans so far, but still not mushy, is firmly packed-in and consistent with how I remember "old school" tuna. Hoping the quality stays consistent!

Last edited by starbound; 09-12-2018 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 12:47 PM

Just throwing it out (no pun intended) there, in case ANYONE knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink