Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:30 PM

48,406 posts, read 34,563,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I would note, as well, that there is no such thing as "premium" canned chicken. Canned chicken is NASTY. I can always tell when they're using it. Chicken is cheap. Use actual chicken, not the brined/water soaked stuff in a can.

(the link is for 6 cans each of canned tuna and canned chicken)

I'm really picky about meat, but I like the canned chicken from CostCo, it's all white meat, no gross parts, and it's in "chunks."

I use it for chicken salad, casseroles, burritos, quinoa bakes and such if I'm lazy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 12:32 PM

88,229 posts, read 84,159,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
There was a thread about tuna not long ago. You might find some good suggestions.

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...acked-oil.html

BTW, please don't feed the tuna to your cats. It really isn't good for them. If you got stuck with a brand you dislike, donate the unused cans to a food pantry.
In the referred thread, someone turned me on to Trader Joe's Yellowfin Tuna, packed in oil, of course. I don't like the tuna in water and feel that was a big marketing scam when it first came out during the low-fat panic in the 80s.

I'm with Julia Child, who once disparaged tuna packed in water with the remark, "What Nutritional Nellie ever came up with THAT?"

But that Yellowfin is tasty, and my new favorite canned tuna.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:00 PM

6,974 posts, read 4,835,084 times
I was going to suggest Trader Joe's. I started getting their tuna and it was much tastier than anything I bought at the grocery store. I also started getting it packed in oil and that made it even better. I've been buying the chunk white Albacore, but maybe I'll try yellowfin. I use tuna just to make tuna melts and one can will give me a good meal. As long as that meal is under $3, I feel I've met my goal for cost per meal. So spending a couple bucks on a can isn't a big deal for me.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:42 PM

35 posts, read 23,842 times
Besides being total mush, most "chunk" light tuna in water these days contains soy. Nothing like it used to be.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:46 PM

11,968 posts, read 8,293,189 times
I've noticed the same. We got some COS from Sam's that was so fishy it was like cat food. It was labeled albacore but there's no similarity to what I've come to expect.

It's gotten so I dread opening a can of the stuff.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,007,498 times
https://www.genovaseafood.com/produc...l-and-sea-salt

I’ve posted about this before. I really like this tuna. It is better than albacore. Wonderful eaten in a green salad, or made into tuna salad, or used for tuna melts. It tastes like tuna, but in a good way. I rinse off excess oil and drain before using.

Yes, even major brand tuna has deteriorated badly in the last decade.

The genova oil packed yellowfin seems to be widely available in my corner of the PNW. If you find it, try it.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:19 PM

128,540 posts, read 11,884,268 times
Sardines can be a good substitute for tuna in a salad recipe. I buy the wild planet cans, skinless & boneless, headless. They are also a healthy fish for us to eat.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:26 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,197,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.genovaseafood.com/produc...l-and-sea-salt

I’ve posted about this before. I really like this tuna. It is better than albacore. Wonderful eaten in a green salad, or made into tuna salad, or used for tuna melts. It tastes like tuna, but in a good way. I rinse off excess oil and drain before using.

Yes, even major brand tuna has deteriorated badly in the last decade.

The genova oil packed yellowfin seems to be widely available in my corner of the PNW. If you find it, try it.

We buy Genova. The quality is far better then anything else.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:47 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,749,073 times
We already had a thread about this.

I get the canned Wild Planet solid albacore in EVOO. It's delicious, and the only kind we eat now. It's expensive, but well worth the price.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:05 PM

19,388 posts, read 27,665,348 times
All canned tuna is awful. I'm sorry but the sheer idea of fish that's been in a can for God knows how long just kinda turns me off. And I'm somebody who eats most anything including liver, raw fish, steak tartare, ostrich carpaccio, chicken feet, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink