Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:21 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

I tend to buy Italian and Portuguese tuna in olive oil. It's high quality fish, not canned mush like the mass market Chicken of the Sea, Bumble Bee, and StarKist brands. You get what you pay for.

I have access to fresh local yellowfin tuna in the summer when they migrate to southern New England. The "grill grade" is cheaper than canned tuna. I eat that far more frequently than canned tuna that I used as 'emergency food'. People also land bluefin tuna but that goes on a Boston-Tokyo JAL flight and pays your boat expenses for the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 10:46 AM

50 posts, read 29,244 times
We get the house brand, Member's Mark, from Sam's Club. Always solid chunks of albacore in water.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:58 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
99% of the tuna I buy ends up getting mashed and used in sandwiches I don't care about "filets". I buy whatever they have at Winco, usually Starkist. Works for me! I do like Wild Planet sardines. They're awesome.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:38 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Another thing I like about Genova tuna is that the cans come with pop-tops. I keep it in the fridge and since it's packed in EVOO, I don't even drain it, so no catfood smell on my fingers after I make tuna salad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V54D0P2...tail_page?th=1

Old 08-29-2018, 02:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Is it my imagination, or is the quality getting worse and worse with the long-trusted supermarket name brands? Now that albacore has become a thing, the light is akin to cat food, and even the "solid/chunk white albacore" is mealy and slimy unless you buy the most expensive brands. Anyone else notice this, and what brands would you recommend (before I have to feed even more of it to my cats)?
Bumblebee makes tuna with added ingredients such as sun dried tomato, ginger + soy, or jalapeno peppers. I have found the texture and moisture in these cans are exactly what I'd hoped for in a can.

$2.xx in most grocery stores. The tin is gold not silver colored.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:12 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
Starkist yellowfin tuna in olive oil..I like it better than others I used to buy.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:21 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Starkist yellowfin tuna in olive oil..I like it better than others I used to buy.
But is it more expensive?

And when they add soy, I assume that's a bad thing. Does that contribute to the new mushiness and/or strange odor?

Old 08-29-2018, 06:45 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,929 times
The only fish that I will eat is packaged tuna. I just don't like fish. I wish I did but hard as I try, I just don't care for it. I thought that was okay because I would get my omega 3s from having tuna a few times a month. I used to love Bumble Bee Solid White in Water but now every brand is just not the same. It's gross. So I started buying chunk lite in those foil packages and having one for lunch now and again thinking it was good.

Now I see that someone in this thread said that many packaged tunas have soy in there. I looked at both the Bumble Bee and the Starkist foil packs I have and what do you know? BOTH say Tuna and Soy in the ingredients. Why the heck is soy in tuna?

Old 08-30-2018, 08:16 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
The only fish that I will eat is packaged tuna. I just don't like fish. I wish I did but hard as I try, I just don't care for it. I thought that was okay because I would get my omega 3s from having tuna a few times a month. I used to love Bumble Bee Solid White in Water but now every brand is just not the same. It's gross. So I started buying chunk lite in those foil packages and having one for lunch now and again thinking it was good.

Now I see that someone in this thread said that many packaged tunas have soy in there. I looked at both the Bumble Bee and the Starkist foil packs I have and what do you know? BOTH say Tuna and Soy in the ingredients. Why the heck is soy in tuna?
I'm assuming the soy actually replaces some of the tuna; protein content stays the same, but it's not all meat. Not sure if that accounts for the decline in quality or if they're just using inferior fish or cuts of fish these days (yuck).

Old 08-30-2018, 08:46 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
The vast majority of canned tuna is repulsive. The only thing that is edible are conservas from Spain and Portugal in my experience. France and Italy probably have decent stuff too, but I have no experience with canned fish from those countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink