Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 12:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,208,486 times

Advertisements

Where I grew up, metro NYC, they are definitely a thing and commonly found on diner menus and seafood restaurants and the like, but often associated with Maryland (for good reason!) rather than being considered a local specialty.

Where I live now, New Mexico, I'd be willing to bet many people, if not most, assume they are something made up by Dr. Suess because they fit a rhyme.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 12:29 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,063,503 times
I'm the only one, when my immediate family was still around, that wasn't born in Maryland. I'm very well versed in Maryland style crab dishes. Yes, crab cakes are offered at local restaurants and that is why we make them at home. They may be popular locally, but they certainly aren't good. I prefer my ratio of jumbo lump to bread be at least 2-1/2 or 3 to 1. The recipe we use is from David Rosengarten's book "Taste". Lets just say you have to be careful as they have so much jumbo lump, they would probably fall apart if you look at them wrong!

Old 09-05-2018, 12:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,276,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In Maryland, you can get crab cakes all over the place. But I'm wondering how popular this food is in other areas.

For those of you especially outside the mid-Atlantic region, have you had crab cakes? Do you know what they are?
Yes, I've had them because I used to live in Maryland, and they're delicious, but I can't say they're a popular dish here in Colorado. I prefer the style made from lump crab meat that is left unbreaded.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:33 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,018,815 times
I would guess they are popular anywhere on the East Coast. How good they are is another story.

You can get them anywhere in Florida and they were also very popular in South Carolina.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:47 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,286,680 times
They can be found here, though not to the extent in Maryland. We use Dungeness crabs which are a Pacific species.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:16 PM

765 posts, read 470,066 times
loved them when i lived for a short while on the Delmarva ... (Va last spit of land), everyone, and i mean everyone had a crab pot or 3, or 10 or 50 out in the Chesapeake, but the true insane addiction was to the crab soup....TO DIE FOR!!!!!! I used to drive up to Machapongo and BIG's restaurant once a year, pay the insane Chesapeake Bay Bridge toll of $30 bring back $200 worth of their crab soup( 10 quarts worth) but they closed two years ago..... i am so jonesing for some real crab soup (you would hit small bits of shell grit once or twice) Just the best best soup ever. One supermarket here has a frozen crab soup, but it's not like on the eastern shore of VA (nary a dot of crabmeat to be found in it) .... and here in North Narrowlina, you have to pay $9.99 for one crappy crabcake that is not as meaty crabby as I was used to. ridiculous... what the what the? drive 2 hours north and you get a whole crabcake dinner for $9.99. I found a very affordable semi ok crabcake from Kroger's, you get 10 of 'em for $12.99, they'll do with a goodly swim in lobster bisque soup, but as someone mentioned above, they are basically a very processed chopped to near extinction crabmeat-whatever with lotsa bread crumbs. I only eat them when i get desperate.... seafood anything is so darn expensive these days!!!!!

Old 09-05-2018, 08:45 PM

88,139 posts, read 84,005,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
If you're much more than a hour away from being able to spit directly into the Chesapeake Bay or one of its immediate tributaries (I don't mean the Susquehanna River in Cooperstown, NY), don't bother with crab cakes. You might get lucky and get one that's edible, but the chances are slim.
I don't get this. Why do you think that only crabs from the Chesapeake are edible?

Old 09-06-2018, 04:12 AM

628 posts, read 825,757 times
I never seen them in Maine but there are clam cakes that are similar but with clams instead of crabs

Old 09-06-2018, 05:23 AM

24,515 posts, read 18,026,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Up here in Massachusetts they are pretty popular I guess. I see them on pretty much every seafood restaurant menu. I see them at other types of restaurants too. Some of them are actually pretty good, almost as good as I have had in Maryland!

Occasionally I will eat a clam cake. Those are pretty good too!
Crab cakes and clam cakes are totally different. A clam cake in Rhode Island and the Massachusetts SouthCoast, Cape, and Islands is a round fried donut hole with an unsweetened batter with clam broth as the liquid and chopped up sea clam in the batter. A crab cake is a fried hockey puck of mostly lump crab meat with just enough egg and flour to bind it together. You can at least pretend a crab cake is good for you.

I see crab cakes on the menu in New England but I don’t order it very often. My girlfriend and I had lobster rolls for lunch Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. 2 1/4 pounds of lobster meat over the holiday weekend. Why would I bother with crab when I have lobster?

I like soft shell crab sandwiches when I’m on the Chesapeake. Way better than crab cakes. It’s pretty unusual to see soft shell crab on a menu in New England.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:40 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,063,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Crab cakes and clam cakes are totally different. A clam cake in Rhode Island and the Massachusetts SouthCoast, Cape, and Islands is a round fried donut hole with an unsweetened batter with clam broth as the liquid and chopped up sea clam in the batter. A crab cake is a fried hockey puck of mostly lump crab meat with just enough egg and flour to bind it together. You can at least pretend a crab cake is good for you.

I see crab cakes on the menu in New England but I don’t order it very often. My girlfriend and I had lobster rolls for lunch Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. 2 1/4 pounds of lobster meat over the holiday weekend. Why would I bother with crab when I have lobster?

I like soft shell crab sandwiches when I’m on the Chesapeake. Way better than crab cakes. It’s pretty unusual to see soft shell crab on a menu in New England.
They are also put in Po' Boys in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink