Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:30 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,368 times

Advertisements

Hi all

We have a school event next week and have been asked to bring in cakes/desserts for the teachers.

Do teachers get sick of chocolate cake, cup cakes and brownies?

I wondered if they would like a healthy alternative sometimes - any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 AM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 850,618 times
Well, for something really healthy you could do a fruit salad. Or make a banana nut bread, cranberry bread, zucchini bread, etc... or a carrot cake. Yeah, I would think the teachers would get overloaded with chocolate cake, brownies, chocolate chip cookies.... too much of a good thing!! LOL

Old 04-02-2008, 11:56 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,042 times
You could maybe do muffins instead or a fruit tray.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,368 times
I had thought of a fruit tray too, with maybe some of the fruits dipped in chocolate

Old 04-02-2008, 12:10 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,941,834 times
We like mini cheesecakes and cream puffs, pies, teachers aren't picky! In fact, we are notorious for scarfing down free food, no matter what it is, ha ha

Breads are good too.....chocolate dipped pretzel rods would be an easy thing to have too.

Can you come to my school please???

Old 04-02-2008, 12:45 PM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 850,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I had thought of a fruit tray too, with maybe some of the fruits dipped in chocolate
Oh yum, that is so good! One of my favorites is orange slices dipped in dark chocolate....

Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,068 times
I was just at a party the other day and someone brought a "fruit pizza". It was delicious.
They used a pie crust, spread some cream cheese over it lightly, and covered with a variety of fresh berries, etc. Very similar to the veggie pizza appetizer using the crescent roll dough, cream cheese and veggies. everyone enjoyed it. Sweet, yet light and pretty healthy.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:02 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,444,632 times
When I was still teaching, and parents chose to do things like this for us, I was always most appreciative of breakfast items like muffins, or bagels, and the like. Fresh fruit is always great, even if it is a bunch of bananas, or just "apples for the teacher." Nine times out of ten, I found myself running out the door without breakfast, myself.

We also liked having flavored coffees. Most teachers' areas have a coffee maker, or microwave, and we would brew a pot during the morning every day. Sometimes, different coffees were really nice -- like the little one-pot coffees available in the store.

I also used to take relatively healthy popsicles and put them in the freezer, or ice cream sandwiches, and Klondike bars, for afternoon treats for myself. You can't imagine how popular those became with the others on my hallway.

Please be sure to include a little note with the goodies, so the teachers know who to thank personally, or who to contact for a copy of the recipe.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:12 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Must be nice to be part of a school district where some "well-intentioned" teacher hasn't yet banned parents from bringing homemade goodies to school...if it wasn't purchased in a store, then it can't be brought to my son's school. This only happened about two years ago - up until then, I would regularly bake cookies, cupcakes, brownies, etc. for the events like gold rush day, halloween, etc. with no complaints.

If the teacher who blew it for us thinks the people working at Vons bakery somehow have highter hygiene standards, she is sorely mistaken - I have seen what goes on behind the scenes.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:29 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,444,632 times
I was most disheartened when a lot of rules governing foods, and their consumption, in a classroom setting came about.

One of my favorite things to do, was to combine foods with works we read. For example, we tried our hand at chapatties (Indian bread), and my HS SRs would make items and bring tea sets when we read Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest, or George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion.

I understand many of the concerns, but some of the rules get downright silly -- like insisting the items be store-bought. I assure you, you could eat off the floor in my kitchen, and I have been in some restaurants and stores that were absolutely filthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink