Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 05:23 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times

Advertisements

I haven't had it in many years, but in the shop I used to work in, everyone would bring a can and we dumped it in a big pot and shared. I remember it as being very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 08:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
I hadn't had it in years, but this thread inspired me to buy some. I bought two cans. I had the first with just black pepper added. It was very bland. When I prepared the second can I added basil, dry sherry, anchovy paste, MSG, and a fresh tomato. I simmered it for about forty minutes. I still didn't like it.

I would, however, buy a can containing only the carrots and potatoes; they were quite tasty.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I can't afford the calories by loading a stew with butter. But butter does make things taste good.
A serving of Dinty Moore stew is 240 calories. Add a pat of butter and it is still under 300. That is well less than a meal's worth of calories for all but the smallest people.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:50 AM

356 posts, read 281,332 times
When I was a kid we would eat DM when camping. Rarely did we have it at home. I remember I loved that stuff! A few years ago I thought I would try a can for old times . . . Oh man. I don't know if the stew changed or my tastes changed, but it just wasn't my beloved old camping meal anymore. But I would buy it if I lived somewhere where I would need a store of canned food to get through a weather disaster or something.

BTW, same thing happened with Spaghettios.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:02 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Emergency food only. Why would I want it otherwise? Why do people have to be labeled just because they prefer making fresh beef stew over processed food in a can? I am not a "snob," but I don't like the taste of tinned foods, the high salt content, or the fat. I can use real beef, fresh vegetables and potatoes and make a delicious stew economically that tastes better than anything in a can.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:33 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Oooh, I do like the idea of having it with egg noodles. I've only ever had it with rice.

It's probably good with mashed potatoes, too, but I can't stand instant mashed potatoes...and if I'm making homemade mashed potatoes, then I'll probably actually cook something other than Dinty Moore beef stew lol.
I'm embarrassed to admit this but I LOVE instant mashed potatoes ... to me they taste WAY better than any mashed potatoes I have tried to make myself (which for some reason have never turned out well -- I am usually a decent cook so I honestly have no idea why). Maybe it's at least partially because I use the kind that is 100% potatoes (i.e. no weird additives)?

I am sure I have had DM beef stew many times, especially when I've been at work for 10-12-14-16 hours and simply needed something quick and tasty. If I had DISLIKED it I would remember, so I think I must have LIKED it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Emergency food only. Why would I want it otherwise? Why do people have to be labeled just because they prefer making fresh beef stew over processed food in a can? I am not a "snob," but I don't like the taste of tinned foods, the high salt content, or the fat. I can use real beef, fresh vegetables and potatoes and make a delicious stew economically that tastes better than anything in a can.
I LOVE your posts in the dinner forum, Praline, and of course I would love to make beef stew myself, and I would bet that it would taste WAY better than anything canned (like DM). And I tend to make slow-cooker meals (as this would likely be) in large enough quantities that I will have LOTS of leftovers, and again, I bet that the leftovers would taste fantastic. But for a simple meal when you haven't planned ahead, DM beef stew can definitely work.

(This is why I keep a bunch of canned soups in a desk drawer in my campus office ... )

Old 09-26-2018, 04:07 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
. . .
I am sure I have had DM beef stew many times, especially when I've been at work for 10-12-14-16 hours and simply needed something quick and tasty. If I had DISLIKED it I would remember, so I think I must have LIKED it.

I LOVE your posts in the dinner forum, Praline, and of course I would love to make beef stew myself, and I would bet that it would taste WAY better than anything canned (like DM). And I tend to make slow-cooker meals (as this would likely be) in large enough quantities that I will have LOTS of leftovers, and again, I bet that the leftovers would taste fantastic. But for a simple meal when you haven't planned ahead, DM beef stew can definitely work.

(This is why I keep a bunch of canned soups in a desk drawer in my campus office ... )

Hi, Karen, if you like it that's fine. I was only speaking for my own personal tastes. I consider a quick meal when working late an "emergency" .

Old 09-27-2018, 01:14 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
When I was a kid we would eat DM when camping. Rarely did we have it at home. I remember I loved that stuff! A few years ago I thought I would try a can for old times . . . Oh man. I don't know if the stew changed or my tastes changed, but it just wasn't my beloved old camping meal anymore. But I would buy it if I lived somewhere where I would need a store of canned food to get through a weather disaster or something.

BTW, same thing happened with Spaghettios.
Spaghetti-O's have a weird taste to me these days, too. Chef Boyardee is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I don't think a person is a snob when they think/say they would prefer to make homemade beef stew over eating it from a can (because I agree!)

But some people are really rude about it.

Also, although it might be true that you (or I) can make a huge batch of stew and feed a lot of people, and perhaps freeze some leftovers for much less per serving than a can of stew, a person who is truly broke cannot make a batch of homemade stew for $2. That's a fact. But they can buy a can of stew for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit this but I LOVE instant mashed potatoes ... to me they taste WAY better than any mashed potatoes I have tried to make myself (which for some reason have never turned out well -- I am usually a decent cook so I honestly have no idea why). Maybe it's at least partially because I use the kind that is 100% potatoes (i.e. no weird additives)?
There's no reason to be embarrassed! I eat lots of packaged foods that others can't stand. Instant mashed potatoes is where I draw the line. lol!

Old 09-27-2018, 12:02 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Spaghetti-O's have a weird taste to me these days, too. Chef Boyardee is better.

I don't think a person is a snob when they think/say they would prefer to make homemade beef stew over eating it from a can (because I agree!)

But some people are really rude about it.

Also, although it might be true that you (or I) can make a huge batch of stew and feed a lot of people, and perhaps freeze some leftovers for much less per serving than a can of stew, a person who is truly broke cannot make a batch of homemade stew for $2. That's a fact. But they can buy a can of stew for that.

There's no reason to be embarrassed! I eat lots of packaged foods that others can't stand. Instant mashed potatoes is where I draw the line. lol!
Have you tried the Bob Evans mashed potatoes? its heat and serve

Old 09-27-2018, 01:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Have you tried the Bob Evans mashed potatoes? its heat and serve
I am a "real foods" and anti-processed/pre-packaged type, but if I am making a mid-week meal and pressed for time, Bob Evans is the ticket. Tastes like homemade, even faster to prepare than instant, and easy to 'doctor' to your liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink