Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 04:01 PM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times

Advertisements

After frying something, how should one dispose the oil? It's not good to dump it in the sink, how about the toilet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 04:04 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I put mine into an empty can or jar, put it into the freezer to harden up, then throw it in the trash.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:04 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
We don't want that stuff in the sewage system. Let it cool, pour into a container with a lid, and put it in the trash.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:17 PM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
Thank you.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:38 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
After frying something, how should one dispose the oil? It's not good to dump it in the sink, how about the toilet?
It's obvious for us guys up herein Canada.. as we've been recyling for decades!

Cooking Oil has been recyclable for use since back in early 2000's! The one suggestion of putting it into a jar or can/freezing it then put in garbage was how wold folks dealt with it prior to "Recycling" ability!

While, I live up here, and those below 49th parallel may NOT .. I found a host of sites that may assist you~~ What ever you do.. do NOT dump into toilet or sink as it will directly affect your plumbing.. never mind the sewer system etc etc!!

https://earth911.com/recycling-guide...e-cooking-oil/

https://www.rothsay.ca/solutions/used-cooking-oil/
^^ would be utilized in a large business usage of cooking oil..Not so helpful for single family homes.

https://www.customgrocerybags.com/bl...-jacksonville/
snip~~
Quote:
A recycling initiative
According to Boyce, this initiative started by Metro-Rooter and JEA will give people drop-off locations. So if people wish to give away used cooking oil, they can drop it off at these locations. The recycling centers are scheduled to launch on December 28. The first recycling center will be at the old Coggin Dealership. This dealership is located near the Southside Boulevards and Atlantic Boulevards. After the launch, the individuals who want to contribute to this program can give in used cooking oil at the Metro-Rooter’s office. This office is located in Normandy. This office will accept recyclable oil from the residents throughout the week, during the daytime.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_oil_recycling

OP.. It's a good/great topic for those who DO NOT KNOW better!!

Old 09-19-2018, 04:49 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Get a Mercedes 200D? It will run on it.

We cook grains for chickens. Oil goes into it.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
It's obvious for us guys up herein Canada.. as we've been recyling for decades!

Cooking Oil has been recyclable for use since back in early 2000's! The one suggestion of putting it into a jar or can/freezing it then put in garbage was how wold folks dealt with it prior to "Recycling" ability!

While, I live up here, and those below 49th parallel may NOT .. I found a host of sites that may assist you~~ What ever you do.. do NOT dump into toilet or sink as it will directly affect your plumbing.. never mind the sewer system etc etc!!
MOST food service operators in the US from the 1930s have sold their edible fats, oils, bones and the like to a rendering company. The soap industry was largely based on recycling animal oils.

FAQs | About | National Renderers Association

Old 09-19-2018, 09:15 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Let it cool, dump it in an old milk jug or pop bottle, cap, throw in trash. Or hold onto it, mix with several cups of sugar and sneak it into your cheating lover's gas tank when you find they're at the local motel even though they're supposedly "working late".

Whatever works.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We don't want that stuff in the sewage system. Let it cool, pour into a container with a lid, and put it in the trash.
yes, that is how we do it as well. Maybe a little, from time to time will end up in the system. we are on septic tanks, but normally we save a little bacon grease for seasoning a few things. Otherwise the grease goes into a container and gets deposited in the trash. I will add, we book with very little oil anyway, usually just breakfast meats. But still we have a little oil or drippings from things like maybe something that has been cooked in the oven.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:06 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
This is why I don't do deep fry at home. But on the very small occasion when I do, I let it cool, put it in a zip lock bag, and dump it in the trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink