Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 02:41 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times

Advertisements

A couple of weeks ago, we were shopping at the local Winn Dixie. They had brought some mild and hot Hatch chilis in as it is the season. I bought several pounds @ $1.29 per. I was kind and left some for others. I roasted, peeled and packaged them for the freezer.

We went to Winn Dixie today to do some shopping. They still had them today and the boxes seemed to be as full as when we bought them before. The difference, they were now priced @ $.49 per pound. At this point, I didn't care about others and wiped them out except for the bad ones. I will be roasting them tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 04:52 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Oh that looks great! I steam peel mine after they have been under the broiler and wrapped in foil. The skin comes right off. Your way looks even easier. Enjoy!

This reminds me of Arriba’s Mexican Grill in Scottsdale. They had the best hot Hatch chili’s, there is nothing like that around here.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:03 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
You're right about Arriba's. 25+ years in Phoenix and it was the only chain Mexican restaurant I would step foot in. Well, Los dos Molinos - but it only has 2-3 locations (and is even hotter!)

Every year, one of the Harris Teeter stores (local grocery store chain for NC and a few other surrounding states, but now owned by Kroger) does a Hatch chile roast. They bring in truckloads and a roaster and sell them by the pound. No milds this year. So 8 pounds of hots and 8 pounds of mediums(which were pretty damn hot) came home with ne. Took four hours spread over two days to peel and freeze them into snack pack size baggies.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You're right about Arriba's. 25+ years in Phoenix and it was the only chain Mexican restaurant I would step foot in. Well, Los dos Molinos - but it only has 2-3 locations (and is even hotter!)

Every year, one of the Harris Teeter stores (local grocery store chain for NC and a few other surrounding states, but now owned by Kroger) does a Hatch chile roast. They bring in truckloads and a roaster and sell them by the pound. No milds this year. So 8 pounds of hots and 8 pounds of mediums(which were pretty damn hot) came home with ne. Took four hours spread over two days to peel and freeze them into snack pack size baggies.
Oh man, I envy you! I’ve brought them like that too, they are so versatile, you can use them for many different meals. Those hot Hatch chili’s pack a punch, but they are good. 16 pounds of chili’s should last you a long while.

Yep, I guess the border states are best for Mexican food. Arriba’s is hard to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink