Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 09:47 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

I don't drink any coffee, but I know many people that swear by Dunkin Donuts coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 10:06 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I no longer get them, I did not know that about being made elsewhere. As I get older, my thinking is less "yummy donut" and more "lots of fat and sugar and artificial ingredients". So not appealing, no. And the coffee is better and cheaper at Cumby's.
Never liked the donuts a lot. Used to drink a lot of Dunkin's coffee but I lost the taste for it (and Starbucks') like 10 years ago. Paying almost $3 for a regular cup of coffee is too much (I don't really get the point of the 'ccinos and lattes and all that other stuff).

So, yes, I'm another of Cumberland's fans! I also like MacDonald's coffee.

BTW, there's a Dunkin's near my office and there are lines in the morning and the cars keep coming at all hours, so they're a popular option.

Last edited by Merjolie8; 09-29-2018 at 10:17 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 10:09 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else think that donuts from Dunkin' were a lot better back in the 90's?

I think that they were actually made in the stores in the past. Now they are delivered to the stores (I think) and they are just not as fresh. They taste weird, like the kind that are delivered to gas stations. I haven't been to one of their stores in many years. But sometimes people pick them up, and they just aren't very good.

I heard that they are removing the "Donuts" from their name. I'm sure that the other stuff they sell is good, but I think they are trying to break away from their donuts image. They used to be a true donut bakery shop.
Ok, now you got me wondering what the job posting for a baker at Dunkin's does now?

Old 09-29-2018, 10:35 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Ok, now you got me wondering what the job posting for a baker at Dunkin's does now?
They bake donuts! Just not in the retail store.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
They bake donuts! Just not in the retail store.
Bake? Donuts are fried. Of course, they’d be baking muffins and the other baked goods Dunkin sells.

I Googled Dunkin Donuts caffeine. They apparently reformulated their coffee a few years ago so there is Starbucks-level caffeine in it. It kind of makes me wonder about the industrial engineering that goes on with their coffee. Nothing like your local boutique coffee shop that roasts their own beans on-site.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:46 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
I just received a gift of some home made donuts from a friend. Reminded me of what they are supposed to taste like.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:36 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
In my old trade, Boilermakers Local 1 in Chicago, there’s a custom that the hand who wins the check pool buys bakery for the job. Now local Chicago guys would stop at a neighborhood bakery and get nice sweet rolls, donuts, coffee cake and such but boomers would often stop at Dunkin’ Donuts or Krispy Kreem and then get lampooned for getting “hillbilly” donuts.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:03 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Dunkin is all about convenience. They are everywhere. Some people probably have never had any other donuts...or maybe even coffee.

We have a Krispy Kreme 8 minutes from our house. We drive by pretty well daily. They make donuts onsite. Many flavors. In donuts, fresh matters...a lot. (Sorta like pizza ). KK is a once a month sweet treat for us. The KK is very busy on weekends when out of state travelers pass by on the Interstate, and the HUGE billboard and easy off/on makes it a perfect stop...since KKs are much rarer in the wilds than DD.

There's a DD a minute away. We go there maybe twice a year...they open earlier. Egg croissant sandwiches are edible and convenient for a quick pre-trip road breakfast at 5 a.m. During peak morning hours, the DD is often jammed so badly it backs up traffic into the adjacent strip mall. We prefer the KK donuts...remember they are freshly made. The DD isn't.

We tolerate the coffee at these franchises if it is a convenience stop. Same with other fast food places.

We think the best donuts usually come from bakeries (not all...but those that that take donuts seriously...) or better from a good ol' fashion donut shop. Among our (vacation) favs are Ob-Co in Toms River, NJ... and Park Bakery, Seaside Park, NJ and BUT these local places are...well...local, so either you are nearby or you aren't. I link them as examples... but because realistically (and fortunately) we only stop there a few times a year. My advice is to seek out a similar place near you and give it a try.

Similarly the best (road) coffee is usually in a small local coffee shop/deli etc. or a convenience (sometimes in a gas station) franchise that takes it's coffee seriously. This is usually a place that sells a lot of coffee.

Local...

Old 09-30-2018, 06:19 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I just received a gift of some home made donuts from a friend. Reminded me of what they are supposed to taste like.

Well that sure isn't Dunkin

.. did they also get you some Green Mountain Coffee to go with it? I used to serve that in... Massachusetts.. GREAT coffee.. and our donuts gave Dunkin a run for their money lol...

Old 09-30-2018, 07:45 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yeah, they aren't in a lot of US states either. I don't know why. I haven't seen one in 30 years. I'm astonished that each shop doesn't have its own fryer any more. When I was in high school, I worked the Sunday morning shift. The first thing I did at 5 AM was top off the fryer and turn it on, then start mixing frosting. Mmm. Sugar and grease.
We are getting more of them here:

https://www.twincities.com/2016/08/1...polis-st-paul/

Tim Horton's are stepping up shops as well.

My guess is it is the coffee market they are targeting here as in the Twin Cities there are coffee shops and very good local roasters everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink