Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:44 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,123 times

Advertisements

In New Orleans, Monday is red beans and rice day. I remember Prince's TV commercials that announced that Wednesday Is Spaghetti Day. And for many some religions, Friday is fish day.

Does anyone cook the same meal on the same day every week? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
It's a thing here too, e.g. Taco Tuesday, but I have always considered it (other than fish on Fridays for Catholics) a restaurant marketing ploy. It is very strange to have such a rigid rotation for their home-prepared meals. I suppose it takes the effort out of menu planning, but it also seems suffocatingly boring. I don't want tacos or spaghetti or any particular dish, on the same day of every single week.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:39 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
I'd go nuts

I can't even eat the same thing the next day as leftovers.

To some, eating is survival rather then an adventure

Old 09-30-2018, 09:51 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,998,652 times
The "no meat" on Fridays is about the only weekly restriction I know of that is truly traditional. Taco tuesday, all the rest? Marketing ploys.

BTW, tho, having one meal during the week be the same every week? COULD be a good thing, if it is meant to bring the family together for at least one meal. Eating together as a family is a healthy thing. Routine things play a part in our mental well-being, and in the our family's mental well-being. Sometimes its not about having adventure, or providing basic sustenance. Sometimes it's about providing stability and calm. That's important.

People engage in conversational small talk for the same reason. Who really cares what the weather is like! But sharing that with someone, as a family member, or as a neighbor, adds to family and community stability.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:04 AM

1,371 posts, read 668,082 times
Our DD's best friend's mother did that. The only times they had different meals was special occasions or holidays. She wasn't fond of cooking or grocery shopping so having the same thing made it easier on her cooking and shopping wise.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:12 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My husband likes to have the same menu repeat every week. Some of it has to do with leftovers to take to work the next day, but he's also just really picky. I used to do what he wanted, but the last couple years, I just cook whatever I feel like cooking.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:55 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband likes to have the same menu repeat every week. Some of it has to do with leftovers to take to work the next day, but he's also just really picky. I used to do what he wanted, but the last couple years, I just cook whatever I feel like cooking.

I could never understand strict reliance on menu plans. What if you just don't want that day's meal?
For a big family menu planning would be ideal, for a couple...not so much. Besides I don't want to cook the same meals each week.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:15 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I could never understand strict reliance on menu plans. What if you just don't want that day's meal?
For a big family menu planning would be ideal, for a couple...not so much. Besides I don't want to cook the same meals each week.
I'm cooking for two adults and two teens. I have to make everything from scratch, including bread, buns and tortillas, so planning ahead helps me to some extent, so I'm not baking several days in a row.

There are a lot of days I don't want whatever I've cooked. Usually it's because I'm not feeling well or I've already had an allergic reaction that day and need to avoid certain high histamine foods. I used to think I needed to cook something separate for myself, but sometimes it's just easier and feels better to skip meals.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:23 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
I know "meatless Monday" is a thing for some people. But I don't really stick to certain things on certain days.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:41 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
BTW, tho, having one meal during the week be the same every week? COULD be a good thing, if it is meant to bring the family together for at least one meal. Eating together as a family is a healthy thing. Routine things play a part in our mental well-being, and in the our family's mental well-being. Sometimes its not about having adventure, or providing basic sustenance. Sometimes it's about providing stability and calm. That's important.
Excellent point!

But the family would have to agree on that one dish - maybe it's Grandma's special spaghetti & meatballs, or Oma's sauerbraten.

Another bonus: passing on family recipes and instilling a love of cooking to the younger generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink