Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 07:12 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,532,049 times

Advertisements

I've got one that is sort of related to thread = Thai restaurants and chopsticks. Unlike much of Asia, Thailand does not have a chopstick culture. If you go into a local restaurant and order a dish they will give you a fork and spoon. If you buy instant noodles at the convenience store it'll come with a little folded plastic fork, not disposable chopsticks like in many other Asian countries. There is an exception with soups, for whatever reason places that serve soup will have a container on each table that has forks/spoons/chopsticks and you will see some locals using chopsticks in one hand and spoon in the other. They will also have chopsticks at restaurants that specialize in something with Chinese roots like hot pot or Hainanese chicken rice.

It's kind of funny that so many Thai restaurants in USA will offer chopsticks, they are trying to fulfill the customer expectation of being more authentically Asian but are actually serving food in a manner different than in Thailand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 04:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,037,189 times
I hope I haven’t posted this before in this thread. I don’t think I have.

I think the ethnic cuisine most often messed up is American home cooking. What American style restaurants do to food is often criminal. Instead of fresh veggies, you might well eat canned, especially in soup. Order tomato soup and you might get something along the order of tomato sauce. Order clam chowder, and you might get a white concoction thickened up with flour and only trace amounts of clam flavor—or clams.

You cannot buy a handmade pie any more. Perhaps some Amish restaurants still make them. But most pie is badly made, oversweetened, and placed in machine made crusts that have the consistency of cardboard.

Order chicken noodle soup and you might get a bowl of noodles in over salted broth that originated in bouillon cubes.

Biscuits. These should be the pride of a breakfast cafe, right? Sometimes you might get lucky. But often what you get has been made with low grade flour or biscuit mix. All one tastes in these things is starch.

Sometimes you encounter a gem of a restaurant that cooks fresh food, and prides itself on its American cuisine. But in my experience, this is rare.

I’ve eaten good American cooking. It did not hapoen often, but occasionally I did when I was growing up. It is as good as any other cuisine. But you would not know it from mostly lackluster restaurants purveying it now.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:58 AM

1,584 posts, read 975,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Funny, as my husband of Italian descent hates al dente pasta even though he knows that is how they cook it there these days. His mother did not cook it al dente and he likes it as she cooked it.

In Italy he asks them to cook it longer. Usually they do, but sometimes they make comments such as saying, oh yes, that is how some of the OLD people like it.
When I went to Milan a few years ago, I asked the waiter about the concept of al dente pasta. He said they don’t cook it like that, that it’s an American thing. I’m fine with it either way.

I also asked about the US Italian restaurant abomination of al dente rice in risotto. He agreed, saying no one cooks risotto that way in Italy. Myself, I’ve never understood the idea of crunchy rice in this dish. It’s just plain stupid.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:19 PM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I hope I haven’t posted this before in this thread. I don’t think I have.

I think the ethnic cuisine most often messed up is American home cooking. What American style restaurants do to food is often criminal. Instead of fresh veggies, you might well eat canned, especially in soup. Order tomato soup and you might get something along the order of tomato sauce. Order clam chowder, and you might get a white concoction thickened up with flour and only trace amounts of clam flavor—or clams.

You cannot buy a handmade pie any more. Perhaps some Amish restaurants still make them. But most pie is badly made, oversweetened, and placed in machine made crusts that have the consistency of cardboard.

Order chicken noodle soup and you might get a bowl of noodles in over salted broth that originated in bouillon cubes.

Biscuits. These should be the pride of a breakfast cafe, right? Sometimes you might get lucky. But often what you get has been made with low grade flour or biscuit mix. All one tastes in these things is starch.

Sometimes you encounter a gem of a restaurant that cooks fresh food, and prides itself on its American cuisine. But in my experience, this is rare.

I’ve eaten good American cooking. It did not hapoen often, but occasionally I did when I was growing up. It is as good as any other cuisine. But you would not know it from mostly lackluster restaurants purveying it now.
I do have a place in my area that makes homemade pie crust. They do a booming business with their pies at all holidays.

Delicious Orchards » Pies

Old 11-11-2018, 07:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I do have a place in my area that makes homemade pie crust. They do a booming business with their pies at all holidays.

Delicious Orchards » Pies
By all means, go have a piece for me! Lucky you.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:38 PM

3,484 posts, read 3,182,614 times
Stuffed cabbage. Getting the filling to taste really good is not easy and polish restaurants I've been to miss the mark. Additionally, the tomato sauce is never right. I like stuffed cabbage but I stick to my own, tedious as it is.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:44 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,312,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Mine is sauerbraten. Many restaurants serve pot roast with some vinegary brown sauce.

For authentic sauerbraten, the meat is marinated/pickled for several days in a mixture of vinegar or wine, water, herbs, spices, and seasonings.

Also the sauce is never right: it should have crushed ginger snaps in it.
kolaches......everyone also serves it as savory for the most partbut thats not how was it originally.they really should be called klobasneks.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:43 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
I see this is an old thread revisited so don't know if I have answered or not, but I can't think of too many things I have gotten from restaurants that has been screwed up, not on a regular basis. Of course I would never even think of ordering a cabbage roll for instance. I guess the only thing that comes to mind for me might be spaghetti sauce cause it is always a bit too sweet for me. I prefer lots of garlic and spices and no or very little sugar.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:45 AM

8,398 posts, read 4,651,414 times
Creme brûlée. It’s almost always overly sweet and the crust on top done too thickly.

Here in Texas it’s Mexican food...because they like Tex-Mex here

Old 09-15-2020, 03:14 PM

8,721 posts, read 4,989,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Stuffed cabbage. Getting the filling to taste really good is not easy and polish restaurants I've been to miss the mark. Additionally, the tomato sauce is never right. I like stuffed cabbage but I stick to my own, tedious as it is.
I agree! My Mom made excellant Polish food, nothing in restaurants, have come close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink