Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 11:05 AM

631 posts, read 562,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I remember that. Paul Prudhomme was quite the celebrity for a while when the whole Louisiana food thing became the trendy cuisine in New York City.

Now it's pretty much reduced down to the ubiquitous "blackened" salmon or chicken with "Cajun seasoning" found on menus.
I think it is too bad that the *fad* is over because at least when Cajun French music was popular, Louisianans were employed producing it and Louisianans interested in revitalizing Louisiana French could use the popularity of things Cajun/Creole in their *armament*. When I lived in New Orleans and Lafayette, I really appreciated the local food. That area of the country has a rich culinary tradition unrivaled by any other part of the USA, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 11:12 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I think it is too bad that the *fad* is over because at least when Cajun French music was popular, Louisianans were employed producing it and Louisianans interested in revitalizing Louisiana French could use the popularity of things Cajun/Creole in their *armament*. When I lived in New Orleans and Lafayette, I really appreciated the local food. That area of the country has a rich culinary tradition unrivaled by any other part of the USA, IMO.
They are the two reasons I would like to visit New Orleans--to experience firsthand the food and the music.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:36 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post

Old 10-06-2018, 12:40 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
They are the two reasons I would like to visit New Orleans--to experience firsthand the food and the music.
I remember one time walking down a street and just peeking in through a door and saw Al Hirt playing. It was just some little hole in the wall place as I remember. We were also sitting in “The Gumbo Shop” having a meal and saw some activity out the window. We learned later that they were filming a Cyndi Lauper music video. I’m anything but a party animal but that place is just the epitome of a good time. Good food, good music just about everywhere and everybody is there for pretty much that reason. It’s really the only city in the U.S. I remember with any fondness.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:31 PM

1,371 posts, read 668,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Yeah, we have a couple of the cook books we bought when we were down there. We tried a few dishes but the real problem is that my wife is deathly allergic to any kind of seafood, we can’t even have it in the house and eliminating seafood from Louisiana cusine rapidly makes for some boring dishes, in my opinion. So I have to go out for my seafood fixes (I love it of course). Then I have to wash my face and hands and brush my teeth before she’ll let me touch her.
Chicken and andouille (or tasso) gumbo or jambalaya. Dirty rice. If she can eat fresh water fish, you can use catfish for a bunch of things. Chicken tchoupitolas. Grits and grillades. Cajun chicken and dumplings. There is a whole world of Cajun/Creole dishes that don't use seafood. The above are just off top of my head.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:48 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
And the architecture...coffee and beignets...I love that city!

Old 10-06-2018, 08:28 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Chicken and andouille (or tasso) gumbo or jambalaya. Dirty rice. If she can eat fresh water fish, you can use catfish for a bunch of things. Chicken tchoupitolas. Grits and grillades. Cajun chicken and dumplings. There is a whole world of Cajun/Creole dishes that don't use seafood. The above are just off top of my head.
Yup. I'm not a big fan of seafood (except for shrimp), and I love and enjoy lots of Cajun and Creole foods when we're in New Orleans.

deepsouthdish.com is a great blog, in my opinion. It's down-home cooking from the "deep South." A lot of the recipes are more typical "country" or "comfort food" recipes, but they have a bit of a deep South twist.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:35 PM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times
Being Cajun, when wife and I travel to different states, we try some "Cajun" restaurants. Some that we come across serves good food. Most, do not. We also go the extra mile and talk to the cook and give advice. They are thankful, sometimes. Most of the time they ask us how do we know. We tell them we're Cajuns. But our accent doesn't justify. We get told that we have an accent, but not a strong one. Until I start talking some French.

But I agree with most. Learn the recipes. Learn how to make a roux. (Rue)

Here's a roux recipe: Take some flour and oil, cook it over a low heat. Keep stirring. Don't let it stick or it will be ruined and burned. Stir until a rich dark brown color.

You can also buy it premade in jars. Maybe, depending on location. Maybe try World Market.

Also, even though New Orleans has many Cajun/Creole restaurants, go the extra mile and visit the Lafayette and surrounding areas and towns. You'll find many more local businesses catering to the food. It's smack dab in the middle of Cajun Country. You can find boudin, lots of it. To me, Peto's Truck Stop in Roanoke has the best smoked boudin. Roanoke is on I-10, in Jefferson Davis Parish. Stop by Jennings to the I-10 Park, you can pet and hold baby gators.

To me, New Orleans is just a big commercialized tourist trap. Yes, it's a great city, beautiful. But many people think that Louisiana is best known for New Orleans.

Yall come on down, make way to the REAL CAJUN COUNTRY. You will enjoy it and it's friendly people. You won't be disappointed. I guarantee!

Last edited by DeanGuitarist; 10-06-2018 at 09:47 PM..

Old 10-07-2018, 02:19 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
To me, New Orleans is just a big commercialized tourist trap. Yes, it's a great city, beautiful. But many people think that Louisiana is best known for New Orleans.

Yall come on down, make way to the REAL CAJUN COUNTRY. You will enjoy it and it's friendly people. You won't be disappointed. I guarantee!

Agreed. Most of my best meals in Louisiana have come in smaller towns like Breaux Bridge, Maurice, Abbeville, Vinton, New Iberia, and St. Martinville. And most of them are a fraction of the cost of the New Orleans eateries.

And then, there is the boudin trail:

https://www.southernfoodways.org/ora...-boudin-trail/
Boudin Link - Cajun Food Reviews in South Louisiana

Old 10-07-2018, 03:34 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Being Cajun, when wife and I travel to different states, we try some "Cajun" restaurants. Some that we come across serves good food. Most, do not. We also go the extra mile and talk to the cook and give advice. They are thankful, sometimes. Most of the time they ask us how do we know. We tell them we're Cajuns. But our accent doesn't justify. We get told that we have an accent, but not a strong one. Until I start talking some French.

The one thing that you do need to remember is that there was a mass migration out of New Orleans and Southern Louisiana post Katrina. I hav met a lot of people in the Mid-South and Chicago who had restaurants destroyed. Many of them had never been out of Louisiana BUT ... they had to move away and then they determined that the economic and social situation in their new environs were much to their likings.

I met a lady a few years back in Shelbyville, TN who was making some phenomenal gumbo on the weekends in festivals. At the time, she was looking for a storefront to open a small restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink