Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:54 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

In today's Sunday paper they listed 15 restaurants which didn't pass initial inspection, and they listed all that was wrong with the place, some of which is quite scary, and surprisingly, most of these places have passed inspection over the years with no issues. Perhaps the labor shortage may have something to do with it, but it certainly gives me pause about eating out, which I don't do that often anyways as I prefer to cook, enjoy cooking.

I just moved here to Tucson and in Las Vegas they discontinued issuing/printing those inspection reports, for whatever reason, and I was quite surprised to see them appear in the newspaper here.

How about you? You read them, have access to them, and does it all scare you a bit about eating out at restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 03:48 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In today's Sunday paper they listed 15 restaurants which didn't pass initial inspection, and they listed all that was wrong with the place, some of which is quite scary, and surprisingly, most of these places have passed inspection over the years with no issues. Perhaps the labor shortage may have something to do with it, but it certainly gives me pause about eating out, which I don't do that often anyways as I prefer to cook, enjoy cooking.

I just moved here to Tucson and in Las Vegas they discontinued issuing/printing those inspection reports, for whatever reason, and I was quite surprised to see them appear in the newspaper here.

How about you? You read them, have access to them, and does it all scare you a bit about eating out at restaurants?
I have a friend who thinks the best time to eat at a restaurant is right after they receive a bad health score because that would be the time when they would be most focused on improving quality.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:51 AM

130,225 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Here, they often have their score on a sheet of paper in the front window or door. I don't pay attention unless the score is low. We rarely eat out, so we eat out for fun.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

All restaurant inspections are posted in our paper every week and unless they are really awful, it doesn't bother me a bit. I do enjoy reading them. All I ever think about is: holy cow, I wonder how many violations they would find in my kitchen. I think you can walk into any restaurant and know right away if it is clean enough to be safe. Some of the violations actually crack me up.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:26 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
A restaurant in our area frequently has violations under the “Critical” category. This has been going on for several years, yet the place is always packed.

Some of the critical violations are really gross. One that keeps appearing on the list is “Using the same sink to soak heads of lettuce and fill/dump mop buckets.”

Even though the violations are well publicized people flock to the place because they serve mass quantities of food at cheap prices.

Not me.

I always look at the reports, and I est in restaurants 6- 8 times every week on the average.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:46 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
When I lived in another state there was a large Greek/American restaurant that frequently failed heath department inspections. The health department would give them the opportunity to correct the issue.

This was literally the most popular restaurant in town, the favorite of most of the locals. They had a huge menu and served breakfast all day.

They got shut down permanently after 113 customers and 5 employees got salmonella.

So it might be good to pay attention to health department reports.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:04 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Savannah used to publish the health inspections in the paper. The categories were A B C and U. It was surprising to see the ones who flunked.

There is an upscale restaurant in a popular tourist area that flunked. At the time, I knew a person whose business was power cleaning commercial kitchens. He said he would never eat there, so I never have either.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:22 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Keeping a restaurant 'clean' and able to pass an inspection is very difficult. Many people, moving large amount of food through a relatively small space, is daunting. Stuff falls, slops, dumps, misses the garbage can, and just the overall level of grease, steam and food stuff that is in the air and settles to the floor is amazing. At $16 or so for the average restaurant check, how much is available for cleaning?

I worked through college at a relatively good quality place. When I would close up at night after the kitchen had long since gone home, I would flip on the lights in the kitchen and the cockroach community looked like a circus. It is just part of the deal. Try keeping YOUR kitchen "inspection clean and safe" while feeling 20 people every day. See what I mean? Nobody is paying the kitchen crew for a couple extra hours each day to shine the kitchen with a toothbrush. The economics just aren't there. Better to get a write-up and shrug it off than spend to keep the place 100% sanitary.

Its part of the deal. Unless the write-up says they had a deer carcass or rats in the cooler for serving later (don't laugh, it happened in NYC) I am not deterred.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 AM

1,371 posts, read 667,700 times
My hopefully to be soon ex-son-in-law used to deliver for Coke and CBI. There were restaurants he would come home and tell DD they would NEVER eat it because of what he saw delivery after delivery after delivery.

They don't publish inspection reports here, but 1 of the local TV stations does on a regular basis and they are also listed on-line on the county's web page.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
The ones that scare me are reports of restaurants having whole chickens sitting in buckets of water outside in the summer, or any food past the expiration date or exposed to feces. Things like an employee's open drink sitting in the food prep area not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink