Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 09:58 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sending food back at a restaurant ?
Never in my life have I had the displeasure of doing that, just the bad luck of once in a blue moon running into a really ~trumpy~ kind of waiter or waitress, and they get Zero Tip from me and the management will always hear from me.

Madrid Spain has to be the worst place in the World for table manners and service from the Restaurant workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 10:59 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I rarely send anything back.....the servers take enough crap ….

however if I was at an expensive place and I thought food was way overpriced.....

if I were buying a 30 dollar or above steak and it was overcooked and I asked for medium rare...…..yeah I would complain ….but even then it would have to be medium well

I never send anything back either. I figure if they didn't care to put it together right the first time, would they really care the second time??? I just do not go back to the place.

My wife gets upset with me that I do not complain when they ask me about the meal. I think that to do so is a complete waste of time. Do you really think that it is going to make a difference.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:52 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We had lunch today--or I tried to--at a chain diner. I ordered a meal with chunks of potatoes, veggies, and eggs. When it arrived, the spuds were undercooked-not quite crunchy, but not something you'd want to eat I sent it back, they remade the dish, the spuds were cooked just the same. I told the waiter to take it off the bill, and that I didn't want anything else. My husband was halfway through his lunch, so he finished up. They comped his meal; I ate at home.

I could have ordered something else, but had lost my interest in eating there. I did wonder if the cook might spit in any replacement. My husband likes the place, but they always seem to serve mine cold or undercooked. I won't go back.

What would you have done?
Exactly what you did.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:15 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,745 times
Or like a friend would say: "Never in The Life Again".

Erase that place from your Hard Disk.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:56 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
my sister in law has a club she eats at frequently and when we visit she takes us there . The first time she decided to take us there the chef was new and my chicken came out a lil raw I was just going to let it go and eat other things on the plate . My sister said no way . She saw the manager on the floor and she motioned for him to come over to our table and she told him what the problem was . Well I want to tell you all I have never seen a chef so quick to get to a table , omg he was so embarrassed and the manager and the chef both brought over to the table free wine , free dessert and I ordered a filet of sole instead and it was dee lish . Yes my point being that if a manager and a chef care about their rep they will break their neck to make you happy .when you are a paying customer you should never put up with poor food , service or anything else that does seem to be substandard .

Old 10-23-2018, 03:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
after thinking about this for a couple days...I dont think ive ever sent anything back.... or complained

ive seen patrons put a server right into tears ripping everything apart. loudly ....I felt bad enough for her... to go over call her cousin and ask if this man is physically threatening her.....
he calmed down...she thanked me later...
I despise bullies...

Old 10-23-2018, 06:12 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
after thinking about this for a couple days...I dont think ive ever sent anything back.... or complained

ive seen patrons put a server right into tears ripping everything apart. loudly ....I felt bad enough for her... to go over call her cousin and ask if this man is physically threatening her.....
he calmed down...she thanked me later...
I despise bullies...

I've never sent anything back, but there is a way to do it where you don't seem like a jerk. Certainly not what you witnessed. People like to act like they are so important, like it was the waitresses fault you food isn't perfect? get over yourself....

Old 10-23-2018, 07:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In an upscale restaurant everyone cares on their own level, and such incidents are a seldom occurrence.
A caring chef would come out and apologize for his mistake, and try to make it good to you by sending extra dessert or wine, depending how much he cares about his image and and the image of his restaurant.
It's a nice thought but chefs at busy restaurants are too busy to come out and speak to guests. Also, every chef I know, and I know a bunch (I'm fourth generation restaurateur and know probably a hundred), they are socially stunted and have a very hard time making casual social connections. Danny Meyer and Anthony Bourdain are the best example of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I have seen some pretty creative ways of cooks, servers, etc dealing with customers. The ones who send food back for minor things typically get the problem corrected quickly. The chronic complainers or customers who are never satisfied are definitely remembered by the staff. I have no intention of ticking off a cook who is handling my food. Seen too much to take that chance. It am pretty laid back and don't take my food too seriously. Only things like raw chicken or hair in my food would cause me to not eat it. Even then, I would just say I don't want anything else, just remove the item and I will eat later.
Chefs, staff, managers intentionally doing something harmful to someone's food is an Urban Legend and illegal. There are always tons of people watching and most all kitchens now have cameras.

The restaurant truly wants you to be happy. Send your food back.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:30 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We had lunch today--or I tried to--at a chain diner. I ordered a meal with chunks of potatoes, veggies, and eggs. When it arrived, the spuds were undercooked-not quite crunchy, but not something you'd want to eat I sent it back, they remade the dish, the spuds were cooked just the same. I told the waiter to take it off the bill, and that I didn't want anything else. My husband was halfway through his lunch, so he finished up. They comped his meal; I ate at home.

I could have ordered something else, but had lost my interest in eating there. I did wonder if the cook might spit in any replacement. My husband likes the place, but they always seem to serve mine cold or undercooked. I won't go back.

What would you have done?
I know guys who have worked in restaurant kitchens, and they all say the same thing. "Never send anything back to them, you probably are not going to like what happened to your meal while they had it."

Old 10-23-2018, 08:03 PM

149 posts, read 104,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post

Madrid Spain has to be the worst place in the World for table manners and service from the Restaurant workers.

My wife would argue Barcelona is the worst place in the world for service from restaurant workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink