Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 06:41 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

Wow this thread has gone on big time. So we decided on some traditional foods and some foods that cater to their dietary needs. Everyone will be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 07:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Wow this thread has gone on big time. So we decided on some traditional foods and some foods that cater to their dietary needs. Everyone will be happy.

great and let us know how it goes. I am sure it will be a huge success.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:05 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
who makes gravy with milk in it? I have never had it that way. My mom's gravy used the dripping from the turkey, chicken broth, salt and pepper then slightly thickened with cornstarch.
Yes, that sounded odd to me, too, but I guess if someone wanted a creamy gravy with poultry, it could work.

My mother always took leftover turkey and made creamed turkey over toast using a basic white sauce. Childhood memories. I love you, Mom, but God, that stuff was awful.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:50 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
there are many ways to make many things and no one way is completely the perfect way.
I couldn't agree more.

Which is why it's perhaps more accurate to refrain from calling one's own version of something the "true" version.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:00 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times
Quote:

I am glad you have a plan! Did you look at using ghee in place of butter?

Enjoy Thanksgiving with your family!

Old 10-27-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post

No plus I am not familiar with Ghee. So I am doing mashed Sweet potatoes which doesn't require milk or butter.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Potato pie? I'm intrigued...
Check the recipes forum I just bumped up the thread.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:56 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,682,055 times
I hate to be a real butt, but I'd be damned if I would totally sacrifice traditional holiday foods for anybody, and if the kids are that picky then they probably won't eat whatever you try to compromise with. And making two variations of things is going too much out of the way.

Why don't they eat dairy? If there's lactose intolerance in the family then I'm sure lactose-free milk would suffice. Do they like foods like mashed potatoes? If they like it, they can't stray off their diets and enjoy the food for one day of the year???

Just make some bakers, if you have the room, and call it good. I like the suggestion of ghee, though.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I hate to be a real butt, but I'd be damned if I would totally sacrifice traditional holiday foods for anybody, and if the kids are that picky then they probably won't eat whatever you try to compromise with. And making two variations of things is going too much out of the way.

Why don't they eat dairy? If there's lactose intolerance in the family then I'm sure lactose-free milk would suffice. Do they like foods like mashed potatoes? If they like it, they can't stray off their diets and enjoy the food for one day of the year???

Just make some bakers, if you have the room, and call it good. I like the suggestion of ghee, though.
They don't eat dairy by Choice, My brother's kids went right from Breast milk to Almond Milk. Plus my brother and his wife stopped eating dairy. No lactose intolerant issues that I know of.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post

Ghee IS butter. Clarified butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink