Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 09:23 PM

280 posts, read 307,025 times

Advertisements

I'm going to make dressing and probably meatloaf for thanksgiving. I was going to brave chopping a fresh onion until I looked in my cupboard and found a spice of chopped onion. The best by date says Mar 28, 2018. That's barely 7 months ago. Can I use it or should I go on ahead and get a fresh onion?

Also I have some old nutmeg and cinnamon in the cupboard as well. I'm going to make desserts so I'll have to eventually use them. Should I also get fresh spices are of those good to use as is?

Ground Nutmeg- Best By March 13, 2017
Ground Cinnamon- Best By July 25, 2018
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 09:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
The only impact of using expired spices is that they MIGHT not be as potent as when they are fresh.

And cut the fresh onion. It will have a better taste than the dehydrated onions.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
I'm going to make dressing and probably meatloaf for thanksgiving. I was going to brave chopping a fresh onion until I looked in my cupboard and found a spice of chopped onion. The best by date says Mar 28, 2018. That's barely 7 months ago. Can I use it or should I go on ahead and get a fresh onion?

Also I have some old nutmeg and cinnamon in the cupboard as well. I'm going to make desserts so I'll have to eventually use them. Should I also get fresh spices are of those good to use as is?

Ground Nutmeg- Best By March 13, 2017
Ground Cinnamon- Best By July 25, 2018
You certainly can but they will lose a lot of their flavor if they are old. Nutmeg is probably not worth using, it does lose its strength but the cinn should be fine. I keep cinn for years.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:45 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
The date on the spices/herbs is not a magical point in time when they suddenly lose half of their flavor. It happens gradually over time. It's not rapid nor drastic. Yours will certainly be fine. Are they as potent as the day you bought them? Perhaps not. Has the flavor degraded enough that there would be a noticeable difference? Probably not, unless you have a highly refined palate.

I would however suggest using a fresh onion instead of dehydrated flakes.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,660 times
If you buy whole nutmeg and grate them for use, they will keep for years.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:42 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Spices won't become dangerous as they age. I use my nose to decide when they have lost too much flavor. If they smell good, I use them. If they smell weak, I buy new.

Spices can be expensive but I don't want to reduce the quality of my dishes or baked goods by using faded spices with reduced flavor.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:00 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Spices won't become dangerous as they age. I use my nose to decide when they have lost too much flavor. If they smell good, I use them. If they smell weak, I buy new.

Spices can be expensive but I don't want to reduce the quality of my dishes or baked goods by using faded spices with reduced flavor.
This. Sniff them to tell if they seem to be full strength. You can also taste a little. Use fresh onion though, not dehydrated or powder.

If you have doubts, don’t take a chance. Buy new.

Often you can buy a small amount if herb or spice in the bulk food aisle of a large grocer. That way you don’t end up with an old, expired tin of nothing much.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:03 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The date on the spices/herbs is not a magical point in time when they suddenly lose half of their flavor. It happens gradually over time. It's not rapid nor drastic. Yours will certainly be fine. Are they as potent as the day you bought them? Perhaps not. Has the flavor degraded enough that there would be a noticeable difference? Probably not, unless you have a highly refined palate.

I would however suggest using a fresh onion instead of dehydrated flakes.
Spices used to be slowly shipped thousands of miles from other continents on ships and in caravans. A few months in your cabinet is not going to do much damage.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:18 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Reminds me of the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I still use the following spices after the best by date?-salt.png  

Old 11-06-2018, 10:42 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I'm still using a rather large box of Cajun seasoning that I brought home from Mom and Dad's when we cleaned out their house. I can see why they never finished it as it must have been very spicy back in the day but it's just right for what I use it for.

If I were trying a new Cajun recipe I'd probably buy the new spices from the recipe.

Because I only do Thanksgiving once a year I buy fresh poultry seasoning and sage for the dressing every year. Everything's got to be the best for that meal! Only Chef Daughter and I would notice but that's half the family. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink