Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 07:33 PM

211 posts, read 140,661 times

Advertisements

I always get these things called Butterball Boneless Turkey Breast which has almost no gizzards or crap in it. But it has this weird netting you're supposed to leave on while it bakes. And it has all this ugly, smelly, fatty white skin. So I remove the netting so I can peel off the skin before cooking. The skin is hard to peel off and you really can't get it all off. There's always a white membrane left on it no matter how hard you try to get all the skin off.

Last edited by sm0key; 11-10-2022 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 07:34 PM

211 posts, read 140,661 times
I don't understand like what kind of spices to put on the thing to make it not taste bland. But the part I really don't get is how do people get the flavoring deep down in the meat? Especially if you leave the skin on?

If you sprinkle spices and stuff on the surface, that doesn't get the flavoring down into the meet itself. It's only on the surface. And I'm not even sure what spices to use.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:36 PM

709 posts, read 578,724 times
A good coating of kosher salt/brine on the turkey, refrigerator overnight, bring to room temperature before cooking. Follow roasting instructions. It really does give the meat flavor.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:43 PM

17,403 posts, read 16,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0key View Post
I always get these things called Butterball Boneless Turkey Breast which has almost no gizzards or crap in it. But it has this weird netting you're supposed to leave on while it bakes. And it has all this ugly, smelly, fatty white skin. So I remove the netting so i can peel off the skin before cooking. The skin is hard to peel off and you really can't get it all off. There's always a white membrane left on it no matter how hard you try to get all the skin off.
You should leave the skin on. It imparts flavor to the meat. As far as seasoning goes, I rub olive oil on the skin and season with Poultry Seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder. I do a whole turkey and I stuff it which also helps to impart flavoring.

You can score the skin with a knife to help the seasoning to penetrate the meat better.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:19 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,467,118 times
Quote:
I don't understand like what kind of spices to put on the thing to make it not taste bland. But the part I really don't get is how do people get the flavoring deep down in the meat? Especially if you leave the skin on?

If you sprinkle spices and stuff on the surface, that doesn't get the flavoring down into the meet itself. It's only on the surface. And I'm not even sure what spices to use.
Injector. It is, in essence, the dang giant penicillin syringe that was used on me as a kid. You put the tasty mixture in it, think of the poor thing in front of you as a heroin addict Jonesing for a fix, and have at.

Now, once you have that image seared into your brain, take that silly bit of corporate crap and feed it to the local wildlife. Then, go to a real BBQ joint and ask them to make you up some BBQ turkey.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:33 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
The flavor in a turkey is in the dark meat and the organs and the bones and the skin. Boneless, skinkess poultry breasts are going to be flavorless unless you make gravy.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:59 PM

20,685 posts, read 4,445,440 times
Quote:
What spices do you put on these things to make 'em taste good?

I usually use one of these packs.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/McCormick...-1-oz/50426032

https://www.walmart.com/ip/McCormick...25-oz/15610685

Prepare the marinade, reserve some. Put the turkey in a bag, add marinade and shake. Place in fridge 15-30 minutes. Remove and cook as desired. Use reserved marinade to baste.

Quote:
I always get these things called Butterball Boneless Turkey Breast which has almost no gizzards or crap in it. But it has this weird netting you're supposed to leave on while it bakes. And it has all this ugly, smelly, fatty white skin. So I remove the netting so I can peel off the skin before cooking. The skin is hard to peel off and you really can't get it all off. There's always a white membrane left on it no matter how hard you try to get all the skin off.
I use the same thing. I just toss the gravy pouch, and leave the turkey breast netted until finished cooking.

I like to Air Fry the turkey breast, so I use a marinade ^, and cook for 60-70 minutes. I turn it over every 10-15 minutes and baste.

Quote:

You can use a fork and poke a few holes in the meat. Or you can get fancy and use a flavor injector like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Flavor-Inject...avor+Injectors

Old 11-11-2022, 12:16 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,172,683 times
Gosh, I feel like I must be a relic. I still use the old method of using herbed butter under the skin to help flavor my turkey breast, an onion in the cavity. I slide a large metal spoon under the skin to create pockets for the butter.

OP if you don't like the skin, take it off AFTER cooking, not before. The skin helps keep in flavor and moisture while it cooks.
As far as seasonings that's pretty individual, traditionally it's a mix of parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, and garlic, but you can certainly change that up.
Here's a fairly good article describing how to season and bake a turkey breast, along with a few options for mexican, cajun, maple, and bacon wrapped turkey too. https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/roast...breast/#recipe

Old 11-11-2022, 06:11 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,479,600 times
The dressing (stuffing) helps flavor the entire bird. I also S&P both the outside and inside and coat the outside with olive oil. Baste often with a baster.

Old 11-11-2022, 06:15 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,833,273 times
Quote:
Sounds yummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink