Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 12:22 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,231,003 times

Advertisements

Back in the day (50 years ago, different birds in those days) the mantra was lots & lots of sage. I don't recall actually tasting sage but it was good.

Something is wrong with turkey they sell today. Too gamey tasting. bah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 12:41 PM

15,185 posts, read 27,985,426 times
Have you actually done a search in the Recipes forum?

Old 11-12-2022, 01:15 PM

19,986 posts, read 30,398,185 times
50 yrs ago our mothers and grandmothers cooked the bird half the night into the day ..thank
God for gravy!!

Old 11-12-2022, 02:10 PM

4,951 posts, read 3,114,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0key View Post
What spices do you put on these things to make 'em taste good?
Salt, pepper, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Go easy on the rosemary.
Mix these with olive oil, rub turkey inside and out; and roast on a rack...preferably at a very high temp.
I do mine at 500 degrees, but you must cover it with foil loosely.
With the rack, place pan underneath; fill with broth or water while roasting to keep turkey moist.
Use proper thermometer, only takes 2 hours to cook a 16 lb bird.

Old 11-12-2022, 02:23 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,358,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Gosh, I feel like I must be a relic. I still use the old method of using herbed butter under the skin to help flavor my turkey breast, an onion in the cavity. I slide a large metal spoon under the skin to create pockets for the butter.

OP if you don't like the skin, take it off AFTER cooking, not before. The skin helps keep in flavor and moisture while it cooks.
As far as seasonings that's pretty individual, traditionally it's a mix of parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, and garlic, but you can certainly change that up.
Here's a fairly good article describing how to season and bake a turkey breast, along with a few options for mexican, cajun, maple, and bacon wrapped turkey too. https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/roast...breast/#recipe
yes leave the skin on if you want flavor. And as for it being pale etc - cook it longer.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:20 PM

11,015 posts, read 7,568,048 times
We like dark meat, so I've been trying to find turkey thighs. A couple of the local stores don't ever have them, and a third store keeps saying they're coming in on Thursday, but they haven't come in 3 weeks. They did have turkey legs this time, so we got some. Better than dry, flavorless white meat.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:59 PM

211 posts, read 143,225 times
What just happened to this thread and why has the title changed?

Old 11-12-2022, 08:09 PM

211 posts, read 143,225 times
Appreciate all the advice. I already bought the boneless Butterballs. The netting seems to prevent you from putting anything under the skin. I will try leaving the netting & skin on this time and adding those spices. I've always been a fan of olive oil but never thought of putting it on a turkey, so will try that. (It's a known thing that there's a lot of fake olive oil fraud though.) I will debate removing the skin cause then you lose all those spices. I just don't want that fatty, membrane that interferes with the texture like you're getting gizzards mixed into every bite. I want it to be pure clean meat and nothing but meat without having to spit out bad stuff in the middle of eating.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:54 AM

16,193 posts, read 21,356,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0key View Post
Appreciate all the advice. I already bought the boneless Butterballs. The netting seems to prevent you from putting anything under the skin. I will try leaving the netting & skin on this time and adding those spices. I've always been a fan of olive oil but never thought of putting it on a turkey, so will try that. (It's a known thing that there's a lot of fake olive oil fraud though.) I will debate removing the skin cause then you lose all those spices. I just don't want that fatty, membrane that interferes with the texture like you're getting gizzards mixed into every bite. I want it to be pure clean meat and nothing but meat without having to spit out bad stuff in the middle of eating.
If you read the directions on their website it says to lift and reposition the netting to make it easier to remove after roasting. This would be the time to add seasonings under the skin. The netting is only there to help the roast keep it's shape, it doesn't matter if you move it around a bit. https://www.butterball.com/products/...-frozen-breast

Old 11-13-2022, 09:28 AM

30,752 posts, read 21,622,209 times
I could smoke half a turk in my big green egg meg but smoked turk gives me burn heart very bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink