Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 02:17 AM

265 posts, read 258,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It's expected because food servers do not get the same minimum wage as other workers.
In some states it is required that servers receive the full minimum wage.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:28 AM

1,584 posts, read 980,722 times
I leave tips for folks who traditionally get them, but I don’t tip for takeout, nor do I put money in tip jars. I’ve seen the credit card bills that have a blank for a tip for takeout, which is a very recent phenomenon. I just draw a line through the blank and write in the total without it. Unlike many folks who are traditionally tipped, folks who prepare takeout are normally paid a decent base wage.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:42 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,623 times
I'll leave a couple of bucks for takeout on occasion IF they managed to get my order correct the first time and I didn't have to repeat myself multiple times for them to get it right and IF my order is ready to go when I get there or very shortly thereafter. I know it may not be the hostess/take-out person's fault if the kitchen was slow, but they should know enough about what's going on in the kitchen to give fairly accurate pick-up times barring an emergency. We get take-out from one place that I know to always add 10-15 minutes onto the time they give, and sometimes it's still not ready when we get there to pick it up.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've noticed that restaurants apparently expect you to leave a tip for just picking up a take out meal. When you insert the credit card, the screen pops up expecting a tip; 15% or 20% or ??? Zero is not a pick.

WTF?

That annoys me. Does it annoy you too?

Do you tip the grocery store cashier or the the gas station clerk too?
Normally we are fairly good tippers but I draw the line here. Have tipped a few times when the person taking the order even if I do not pick it up til later has been super nice and helpful. LIke one time a few months age I stopped in and placed an order for pick up an hour or so later. Yes, I did tip him, because he helped me decide on just what to get and how much. I have a few other times but generally we do not tip for pick up, take out orders. I think the tipping game is getting a little out of hand.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It's expected because food servers do not get the same minimum wage as other workers. That's why we are expected to tip. Yes, I agree it's an old custom that should be fixed, but until the federal law is changed, I don't see restaurants raising anyone's wages. They will continue to depend on tips.

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage
so what you are saying is: we are expected to pay the person at the counter because the restaurant does not pay min wage? Nope, don't agree and as I have said, I do tip well, but I am tipping for service rendered and handing me a sack of burgers or ribs doesn't take much service.
Or maybe I am not understanding your response.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:16 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
In some states it is required that servers receive the full minimum wage.
you are correct !!

Old 11-11-2018, 06:21 AM

339 posts, read 148,256 times
I do not tip for takeout. Don't tip at a coffee shop either.

If I get food delivered or sit down in a restaurant I tip!

Pretty simple for me~

Old 11-11-2018, 06:24 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
I'll drop the coins from my change at a sandwich shop.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:52 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
If you are getting takeout from a restaurant that is mostly sit-down service, a server making $2.13 an hour is taking the time to pack up your order, make sure you have napkins, utensils, etc. Maybe give them a small tip?

If ALL the service is takeout, I think it is safe to assume all the employees are making at least minimum wage.

I find it funny that you see tip jars (like at a donut shop) in front of some of the grumpiest employees on the planet. If you can't smile, say Hi and Welcome, you are not getting bupkiss from me. You may not even get my return business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink