Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 04:43 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,245,521 times

Advertisements

I was at the Kosher aisle at my supermarket trying to figure out the best Jewish dessert to try. This aisle intrigues me because I presume the products are carefully prepared with quality ingredients. No gluten or pork.

I'm on a strict lean diet to maintain lean abs. But I want to try a Chocolate Babka. Good choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 05:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,301 times
I love a cinnamon babka 'cause I'm not big on chocolate. Babka is a great dessert if you like a more bread-like cake rather than a sponge type of cake. Enjoy!
Oh, and please get me some Hamentashan -- prune or apricot -- either one will do. Not keen on poppy.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:48 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
What joyeaux said. And, there are recipes for Jewish apple cake, sweet kugel (noodle pudding) kreplach - crepes, stuffed with fruit and cheese, and there IS chocolate babka!

Rugalach - a pastry filled with preserves, usually apricot, is vey good. Honey cake is another of my favorites.

Halvah is a delicious candy made of sesame seeds and honey. Not exactly a desert, more of a candy, that is sold every were in NYC. It comes in a natural or vanilla flavor, marbled - with chocolate, and chocolate covered.

In Jewish homes, bananas and sour cream are a typical desert, that I find very tasty.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I was at the Kosher aisle at my supermarket trying to figure out the best Jewish dessert to try. This aisle intrigues me because I presume the products are carefully prepared with quality ingredients. No gluten or pork.

I'm on a strict lean diet to maintain lean abs. But I want to try a Chocolate Babka. Good choice?
Jewish people eat gluten. Babka is made with flour.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:12 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Jewish people eat gluten. Babka is made with flour.
And, I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of all desserts are not made with pork. While Jewish desserts are delicious, I'm a little baffled at why you would think kosher sweets are healthier than any other kind.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:59 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
While Jewish desserts are delicious, I'm a little baffled at why you would think kosher sweets are healthier than any other kind.
and I'm still trying to figure out how " chocolate babka" and "lean abs" can go in the same sentence.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:12 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

Wait...you said "no gluten"? Jewish cake, crepes, cookies etc. are NOT gluten free. Where did you get that idea?

The only deserts that involve a pork product that I can think of, are pie crust made with lard. That's it. Pork products are not common in deserts and are non-existent in Jewish deserts.

Jewish deserts are no more or less healthy than any other deserts. They are DESERTS.
If you are on a strict "lean diet" I would avoid all baked goods.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Gluten is okay unless someone has celiac disease. What I find odd is people who ate gluten all their life, all of a sudden claim to have "gluten intolerance". Why didn't they get ill when they were eating it before? Gluten free diets are mostly a fad and in a few years, people will return to eating gluten again. Its also a way to mark up food items, four to five times; gluten-free bread is five dollars a loaf. No thanks.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
And, I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of all desserts are not made with pork. While Jewish desserts are delicious, I'm a little baffled at why you would think kosher sweets are healthier than any other kind.

Many people make their pie crusts with leaf lard. In addition, there are a number of Mexican pastries that also are made with lard.

Increasingly, bacon is being incorporated into a number of sweet applications including doughnuts.

Here are some examples:

https://www.yummly.com/recipes/pork-desserts
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pork-...test_b_2625937

Old 11-13-2018, 01:35 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
and I'm still trying to figure out how " chocolate babka" and "lean abs" can go in the same sentence.
Carb loading before running a marathon?

Halvah is honey, tahini, and nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink