U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 05:42 AM

75,841 posts, read 88,714,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure I want to try another air fryer, the one I had was pretty awful but I just ran across this and it looks interesting.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/...-pot-air-fryer

what was awful about it?Nothing is right for everyone and I have to admit, my fancy one has some serious problems: 1-when I did a whole chicken a few weeks ago it was wonderful except the glass leaked and now I have grease caked between the inside and outside pains of glass. I also can't seem to get the basket to fit into the slots so it won't spin. On the other hand I can cook the entire meal in the fryer and have it come out tasty with not a lot of pans to clean. I almost think my old one I like better. The positive thing though is I do not even need my toaster oven anymore. All I have on my counter top is my insta pot, my air fryer and the coffee pot.

Maybe your first one wasn't right for you or maybe you didn't practice enough. It does take some practice to use one and have the foods turn out as you would like. Our chicken wings the other night were awesome.

The combo air fryer/insta pot is exactly what I wanted for Christmas but that isn't quite what I ended up with.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 08:05 AM

35,195 posts, read 16,246,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what was awful about it?Nothing is right for everyone and I have to admit, my fancy one has some serious problems: 1-when I did a whole chicken a few weeks ago it was wonderful except the glass leaked and now I have grease caked between the inside and outside pains of glass. I also can't seem to get the basket to fit into the slots so it won't spin. On the other hand I can cook the entire meal in the fryer and have it come out tasty with not a lot of pans to clean. I almost think my old one I like better. The positive thing though is I do not even need my toaster oven anymore. All I have on my counter top is my insta pot, my air fryer and the coffee pot.

Maybe your first one wasn't right for you or maybe you didn't practice enough. It does take some practice to use one and have the foods turn out as you would like. Our chicken wings the other night were awesome.

The combo air fryer/insta pot is exactly what I wanted for Christmas but that isn't quite what I ended up with.
I just didn't like it, it was huge and took up a ton of counter space but couldn't cook enough frozen fries for four people. I didn't find that it offered anything over my convection oven. I've always rubbed the baking sheet that I put fries on with olive oil and toss them in that before I put them in the oven so being able to cook fries without huge amounts of oil wasn't new to me. I had a similarly awful experience with fresh potatoes. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, maybe I didn't know what I was doing..it could be any of those things

Old 07-15-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I just didn't like it, it was huge and took up a ton of counter space but couldn't cook enough frozen fries for four people. I didn't find that it offered anything over my convection oven. I've always rubbed the baking sheet that I put fries on with olive oil and toss them in that before I put them in the oven so being able to cook fries without huge amounts of oil wasn't new to me. I had a similarly awful experience with fresh potatoes. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, maybe I didn't know what I was doing..it could be any of those things
I think a lot of people who have convection ovens feel the same way but for us it does most everything a convection oven does or a toaster oven, so the space it takes up is less than the toaster oven. I certainly don't think what works for one will always work for all. Yes, the size can be an issue. That is why I like my new one.I can cook a lot more at once, but there are things, as I said yesterday I miss about my older, smallr one.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:50 AM

323 posts, read 506,292 times
I like my air fryer but find it fairly limiting. The best things are onion rings - French fries can be a little dry - and breaded fish or shrimp.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:15 AM

3,374 posts, read 2,300,667 times
After using our air fryer for a couple of years, comparing it to a new-to-us NuWave oven, the air fryer's more of a pain to clean. (Our fryer's the infomercial one).

Still does fries FAST and does not heat up the kitchen. We use it more in the summer.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:32 AM

15,442 posts, read 941,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
After using our air fryer for a couple of years, comparing it to a new-to-us NuWave oven, the air fryer's more of a pain to clean. (Our fryer's the infomercial one).

Still does fries FAST and does not heat up the kitchen. We use it more in the summer.
Aluminum foil on the pan under the rack and minimal clean up here.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:22 AM

11,261 posts, read 8,063,642 times
I used to like it, but as others have mentioned, it is just too big. Takes up counter space. I prefer just to stick with the stove and oven for most things, and the pressure cooker for beans or stews/curries that I want cooked within a reasonable amount of time.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:00 PM

3,374 posts, read 2,300,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Aluminum foil on the pan under the rack and minimal clean up here.
Pan? Rack? For what? Our Air Fryer really doesn't have either.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:49 PM

14,114 posts, read 20,035,314 times
Quote:
Pretty much how I feel. It doesn't do anything my convection oven can't do and lacks the versatility as well.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Pan? Rack? For what? Our Air Fryer really doesn't have either.
My thoughts as our old one just had the basket. Our new one doesn't have the basket which is something I miss. But, I do know about the alum foil, now that I use my new oven. So I guess it depends on which kind you have more than anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink