Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:18 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You obviously use yours the way they are meant to be used: We too use ours a lot. Just last night I did our fish and chips in ours. It was excellent, quick and easy clean up.

Can you do something beer battered in the AF or would it have to be a flour/egg/breaded type coating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can you do something beer battered in the AF or would it have to be a flour/egg/breaded type coating?
Pretty much the egg flour dreaded type. That is one thing that most would miss if depending solely on the air fryer. for us, it is ok, as we don't do beer battered. I guess you could give it a try but I am just not sure it would turn out all that well.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:11 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Pretty much the egg flour dreaded type. That is one thing that most would miss if depending solely on the air fryer. for us, it is ok, as we don't do beer battered. I guess you could give it a try but I am just not sure it would turn out all that well.

Thanks for the reply! I'm kinda partial to wet-battered fish & chips as I grew up in a town with a number of English/Scottish 'chippies' and being raised Catholic often had fish & chips frequently on Fridays. Fortunately in my current location there's a microbrewery or two as well as fish places that do good English/Scottish style fish & chips. I'm still very early in the air fryer learning curve and still trying to figure out what it can/cannot do. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:16 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Now I've been driven to look at the Foodi.

I think I will stick with my IP and air fryer.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Anyone interested in the IP Vortex? It is an air fryer made by the Instant Pot people. There are several YouTube videos about it, but I can't tell about how well it works.

I would be interested in it if it could replace my aging countertop converction oven.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:15 PM

130,288 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If you buy the beer battered, ready made, in the frozen section, it cooks fine in the air fryer. If you wanted to batter your own fish, it might get messy.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If you buy the beer battered, ready made, in the frozen section, it cooks fine in the air fryer. If you wanted to batter your own fish, it might get messy.
That is what we do: I can't remember if they are beer battered or not, but we get them at Sam's They are fantastic in the Air Fryer and again, almost no mess.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:58 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No such thing.

If it's frying it uses hot oil to cook. That's the definition of frying.

What you are talking about is a high powered convection oven.

AMEN! I ordered the NuWave Bravo XL oven which says it has a 90-day money back guarantee.Tried cooking chicken drumsticks with the probe which should have been foolproof, but they were bloody when they were supposed to be done! Oven is far, far too complicated, too many steps.

Seems impossible to get instructions how to return. CS PHONE IS never answered, even after waiting 30 minutes, email never responded to, BOOKU ADRESSES ONLINE and CS phone numbers! I now know NEVER TO USE MY DEBIT CARD TO ORDER ANYTHING FROM AN INFOMERCIAL ON TV.I SHOULD HAVE USED MY Master Card and/or ordered from Amazon with their A-Z guarantee.

AT LEAST I prevented them from getting the 3rd.and last payment by reporting my card being lost so that acct. was closed! Wonder if the creeps will be calling AFTER THE 22ND AND THEY DISCOVER THE ACCT CLOSED? but i'm still out $120!

One daughter has a smaller NuWave and she told me it will probably go in the garbage, because she tried making fried okra in it and said . She bought hers from a thrift store but she said as the previous poster....This is in no way~ "Frying"! You cannot fry without oil!

Old 06-19-2020, 08:09 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What surprises me is how many people don't have a convection oven feature on their range, I've had 3 ranges in the past 10 years and they all had a convection oven, and the last two microwave oven's we've had also have a convection feature.
I live in an apartment. My appliances are fairly basic.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:11 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's not as versatile as the Instapot.
I've used my AF more in the past month than I've used my IP in the three years I've owned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink