Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:23 AM

20,646 posts, read 4,418,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
The last thing I need is one more kitchen device, but I've heard so much good about air fryers I've been thinking about buying one but would like to hear any negatives too before I invest.

Is there anyone out there who hates their air fryer? Why? Badly cooked food? Hard to clean?

I'm sorry, but I really like my air fryer. The only thing I "hate" about it, is how much I like it. lol

My convection oven just died, and I am considering getting another Air fryer that also has a rotisserie
built in. Unfortunately that air fryer wont fit in my convection ovens spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No such thing.

If it's frying it uses hot oil to cook. That's the definition of frying.

What you are talking about is a high powered convection oven.

Air fryers use little to no oil to cook. Any oil used is more for flavor, not for cooking.

Ex. When I make home made French Fries, I use some oil.

1. Cut my potatoes into fries
2. soak them in salt water
3. Preheat Air Fryer
4. prep shake bags (desired seasoning, 1-2 TBS olive oil)
5. Add fries to shake bags, seal & shake
6. remove fries from shake bags, let access oil drip off.
7. Fry for 20 minutes / 350 degrees (shake fries after 10 minutes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
And the fries taste like plastic.

No chef of any merit endorses air fryers. Take that as an indicator.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
I haven't eaten bacon in years because I hate cleaning up the spatter off the entire stovetop and adjoining counter and often the floor too.

Try doing it on a cookie sheet in the oven. Takes 20-30 minutes, but you get (mostly) flat bacon with no mess.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:03 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
I like my air fryer especially during the summer when I don't want to use the oven when it's hot. I purchased one 6 months ago.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:14 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
I was given an air fryer for my birthday. I don't dislike it but I found that it does the same thing as my (not convection) oven does - just a little quicker. It takes up a lot of space - I have mine sitting on top of the fridge when it's not in use. It is easy to clean. Frankly, I could take it or leave it. If it wasn't a gift from my mom, I'd probably leave it and just use my oven.

This is the one I have (except in white).

https://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.K473...RoCX28QAvD_BwE

Old 11-14-2018, 08:15 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
use my a few times a month.. mainly for French Fries.. works well and clean easily. i like!

Old 11-14-2018, 08:32 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,189 times
I am thinking about buying it. I saw my uncle used his for roasted vegetable & it tasted good. Just worried about counter space

Old 11-14-2018, 08:55 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times
I use mine daily. The non-stick surface was a problem after 6 months, but I bought a new "container" and "cage" and now alternate using them. This way, I can soak one to get things like BBQ sauce that has stuck on off, while still having the other available for use.

Someone said above that their fries taste like plastic. I can't see how as mine come out very crisp and taste great - maybe the issue here is a bad choice of fries or a lack up understanding of how to cook in the AF.

Someone else indicated they didn't like their "Air Fryer" from the 90's. Those being produced now are most likely of a different design.

And of course we have the pendantic complaint that "air" cannot fry anything.

Yes, bacon is one of the best thing "fried" in my AF - simply because the grease is not everywhere after cooking. You DON'T have to clean up the pan (pour out the grease from the container and rinse out or stick the cage in the dishwasher), the cook surface, the refrigerator, the countertop, the back-splash, the hood, the floor - they all remain clean. And even better, you don't have to deal with the 'microscopic' coating of grease that gets on everything within 25 feet of your kitchen.

They are very versatile, I cook almost all meals in mine now (after having it a year) and even made cornbread last night.

I wish they were made of better quality (speaking of the non-stick surfaces of the fryers) but at a price of about $20 for replacement of the cooking container and cage, and about $100 for the entire unit, I would replace the whole thing yearly - and be happy about it if I had to - it is just that much of a leap forward.

As for the counter space... my AF replaces my deep fryer and the trouble associated with cleaning/replacing/storing the vast amounts of oil needed; it replaces my toaster oven, my popcorn maker, I'm thinking I can even replace my waffle maker - if I can find the right accessory. I have read that some people have replaced their toaster too. I have definitely GAINED counter space using mine.

To the OP, I would say the positives vastly outweigh the negatives and you cant lose when you buy a medium to superior quality Air Fryer. I know and/or have heard of no one who actually has one and hates it.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 11-14-2018 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 AM

20,646 posts, read 4,418,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
And the fries taste like plastic.

No chef of any merit endorses air fryers. Take that as an indicator.
Let's see:

Eric Theiss (modern day Ron Popeil)
Emeril Lagasse
Gordon Ramsay
Wolfgang Puck
Meredith Laurence
Cat Cora
Paula Deen
Rachael Ray

I'll admit that I liked the pitch for it by Eric Theiss. I got my air fryer over 2yrs ago at my local Sams Club.
They had it for a great price for members. I like it enough to consider the new model. But it wont fit in
my kitchen at this time. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am thinking about buying it. I saw my uncle used his for roasted vegetable & it tasted good. Just worried about counter space
I have the 5.3 qt. capacity. It's something like 14.5" L x 15" W x 14.5" H. The size is comparable to a stand mixer. So decide on the size carefully. It is something that you can use almost everyday.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:34 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
LOL

Your posts on the dinner thread are what mainly got me intrigued. Bacon? You can cook bacon? I haven't eaten bacon in years because I hate cleaning up the spatter off the entire stovetop and adjoining counter and often the floor too.
Easy as can be in the air fryer. Otherwise - get a pack of ready to eat at the local restaurant supply store. Freezes as is and needs no defrosting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink