Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 06:17 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
When I was pregnant with my eldest, I ate a large bag of Lay's Barbecue potato chips and drank three 12 oz. bottles of Pepsi every night while watching The Late Show. Every night.

That was 65 years ago. Steve Allen was the host, and he had a great bunch of characters but I waited every night for Steve Lawrence and/or Edye Gorme to sing.

None of them are around now and Lay's changed their barbecue recipe.

Now I have to content myself with pigging out on things like ice cream, or potato salad, or Jewish Apple Cake. That's another story: when pregnant with my #4 son, I made a JAC and ate 2/3 of it before the family got home. I hid the rest in the freezer and made another the following day.

When living in Maryland, I loved to have a good ol' crab pickin'. Oink, oink.

No Trader Joe's so no Brie en Croute. sigh
Wow, I can't imagine how you didn't die of heartburn eating all those chips ( barbecue, yet) and pepsi right before bed when you were pregnant!

Bad heartburn was always an issue with me in the later stages of pregnancy- considering the old saying about having heartburn meant you would have a hairy baby, I always thought I must be expecting gorillas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 07:22 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I just ate an entire Trader Joes Brie en croute all by myself. 1620 calories. It only comes out at the holidays.

Do you ever find yourself doing something like this?

What say you?
This ain't gluttony.
Gluttony is going to an 'all you can eat' buffet and stuffing yourself with thrice the amount of food that you normally eat.
And follow that up with desserts.

Done that lots of times.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:37 PM

802 posts, read 642,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I am assuming Tikyul is referring to our caveman ancestors. You killed a mastodon, you ate copiously before it rotted because it could be a very long time before you killed another one and you had to build up some fat. It's not like there was a McMastodon or a MammothMart on every corner when you ran out of food. It was feast or famine, with a lot more famine than feast.

As for "who does that" when it comes to "vacuuming down" food? Apparently one heck of a lot of people do. Have you been to a Walmart lately?
Never been to a Wal-Mart in my life. And I've never heard of cavemen referred to as Gork. And I'm almost old enough to be referred to as a "cave woman". LOL

Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Back in the days of youth, when it seemed I could eat any amount, without getting fat, my friends and I would descend on an all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant and try to out-do each other. That was undiluted gluttony. The restaurant managers would see their profits taking flight, when we charged through the door.

But no more. I now practice tight discipline in the type and amount of food I eat. And it's a great benefit, as I save money and am leaner and more fit than ever before. But there's a secret about this, I've discovered. When I eat only a moderate amount of the most nutritious food, I enjoy each item more. The scarcity of the food, makes each bite more important and tasty.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:02 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I just ate an entire Trader Joes Brie en croute all by myself. 1620 calories. It only comes out at the holidays.

Do you ever find yourself doing something like this?

What say you?
Now you made me want to get a Trader Joe's Brie en croute! I will this week. One of my faves.

Yes. I have done things like this. And I will again in the future. I find that this happens most often with dairy products - in particular, cheese and ice cream.

This is one of the reasons why I don't keep a lot of cheese and ice cream in the house. It seems like I always want "just a little more". Or I need to "even out" where it was cut. (my excuse to my self) or another few table spoons of ice cream will be enough. Then, 3 minutes later, I am back for more.
Until the whole pint is gone.

Does any one else have this problem with dairy foods? I find them addictive.

This is why I will wait to the last possible moment to buy that Brie en croute for Thanksgiving day. Same with ice cream. If I bought them tomorrow, I'd want a taste, and the rest would be history.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:24 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
That's one of the things about living alone. No one else is there to tell you to stop eating something or criticize you when you eat an entire large pizza by yourself. I find myself doing this sometimes, not often, but as I get older, I can't eat as much as I used to anyway which is probably a good thing. But yes, sometimes one of life's pleasures is to eat something that tastes really good no matter what it is, until you are full. I don't do very well at those fancy expensive restaurants where they serve you a few tablespoons of food and call that a meal.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:56 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
There are certain foods I simply do not keep in the house because I can easily overindulge. Most involve chocolate in one form or another. I volunteer twice a week at a hospital gift shop that sells snacks, including individual Seattle Chocolates and Lindor Truffles, so I buy one or two of those each time I'm volunteering to get my chocolate fix without having it in my pantry whispering my name every time I walk by.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:01 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
No, but if I could, I would. I eat like a bird. If I had a bingeworthy food, I would not feel at all guilty.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:57 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,250 times
I sometimes wish I could have stomach surgery to make it bigger so I can eat more. I get full quickly, so I really can't make a glutton of myself much as I try.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Not as much as I used to.

When I was young I could eat as many Vienna Fingers cookies as I could lay my hands on. I have bought them rarely as an adult, because I tended to want to pig out. Not sure why those cookies are/were so attractive to me, either.

My WINCO does not carry them here, so I am safe.

When I buy chocolate covered pretzels, both DH and I eat them, but not all of them at one go. But those are slightly addictive. It is the salt and sugar mix, I am sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink