Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 03:57 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Now that the day has passed, what were your favorite dishes?

For me it was the salad (safe bet I always go for the veggies), and the turkey, despite being over cooked and on the dry side, the smoking and whiskey brine made it super flavorful. Our neighbor mentioned he wraps his turkey in banana leaves when smoking, and we may try that next year.
A very velvety Merlot served with a tiny pecan pie in bed with three whiskered companions actually four and Victoria on Amazon past our normal bed time.
7:30 was all I could handle after some medical attention on Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 05:01 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Mmmm. The best dinner ever tonight, with warmed up leftovers. Pecan pie in a bit.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:13 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
When the kids each came in I asked them did they have anything to be grateful for and both of them gave the correct answer - their parents!

The homegrown green bean casserole Chef Daughter made had a real surprise in it - morel mushrooms. She went berserk and made three veggie casseroles. Also brought some home-canned tomato juice which was a treat.

Here it all is - the groaning board loaded down with brown food:

Everything turned out tasty but my favorite things were the salad with homemade croutons and homemade blue cheese dressing from daughter and Cousin Barb's oatmeal rolls.

The cranberry jelly "in the shape of the can" is an homage to my mother and an old family joke.

It was also good of everyone to help with the clean-up and put everything away. Then we sat and played Twenty Questions with Alexa, who we discovered cheats. She also made a few snide comments . Who designed that thing anyway?

Now, house clean, good leftovers in the refrigerator, I am an elk hunting widow for a while. Feels good after such a busy week.

The drumsticks are visibly missing because the kids each took one and wrapped it to take home.

How about a picture of that rum cake on the new amberina cake stand?

Old 11-23-2018, 09:54 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,569 times
Best dishes hmmm. Well my daughter said that of all of the desserts we had which included pecan pie, pumpkin pie, fruit cake (yuck), she liked my strawberry pretzel salad the best.

My other daughter was quite pleased that I made deviled eggs. She loves them.

I thought hubby's homemade mashed potatoes were just smashing, as always.

Overall the whole meal was a success. Hubby was surprised that the second turkey roast he bought was Cajun style, we had no idea that was even a thing, but we like spicy, so it added a little flair to our traditional smoked turkey dinner.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:10 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:

I will probably make this recipe for the butter: Cran-Orange Honey Butter | Eat It & Say Yum

I made this and thought it was really good and even passed the recipe on to my SIL. I did leave the amount of honey the same.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:27 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I made this and thought it was really good and even passed the recipe on to my SIL. I did leave the amount of honey the same.
I'm going to put turkey sandwiches in the panini press and coat the outside of the bread with it.

My MIL took one bite of it, made a face, and never touched her biscuit again. /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-25-2018, 06:52 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
I'm going to put turkey sandwiches in the panini press and coat the outside of the bread with it.

My MIL took one bite of it, made a face, and never touched her biscuit again. /lol
Ha, ha about your MIL. I put the bowl on the table and my husband told me to move it out of site

I am going to put a little on my french toast this morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink