Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:18 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times

Advertisements

Our menu is always the same, has been since I was a child 66 years ago. Celery sticks with cream cheese. Prunes with peanut butter. Roast turkey, Bell's stuffing, boiled onions, mashed potato, butter nut squash,peas, added about 30 years ago, cauliflower augratin. then pumpkin pie and chocolate pudding pie for desert.
Christmas and New years and Easter menu's all vary, but never Thanksgiving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 04:31 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We will be at our granddaughters for Turkey day. I know pretty much what we will be eating and it is a lot. There will be 15 to 18 of us, I am not sure of the exact number as she is inviting some friends we hace all known for years, but don't know if the adult kids will be coming

Of course,
Turkey: probably smoked ( i hope her husband doesn't over cook it this year)
potato casserole (our older daughter will bring that)
dressing
green bean casserole
brandy, coconut sweet potatoes (sound about like the bourbon one)I bring that
fruit salad Friends bringing that)
winter green salad (daughter is bringing that)
cranberries ( think I am going to combine a couple of the recipes some of you posted)
3 pies: ( no idea what kind but made by our 12 year old great granddaughter) she loves to bake and has been doing the desserts for the last couple of years
a few appetizers ( oldest granddaughter who is the mom of our dessert fixer)
Of course plenty of adult beverages ( host love his top of the line scotch, as do all the guys that will be there. The gals will mainly drink wine and a few are non drinkers, how they ended up in our family who knows)
Can't rep you again.

I know what you mean about non-drinkers. In my family, it's usually a sign that they are not related.

The brandy coconut sweet potatoes really sound scrumptious. Are you making the cranberry sauce? You are so fotunate to have a 12 year old great grad daughter who is an accomplished and prolific baker. You must be proud!

Old 11-18-2018, 01:38 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Last year I cooked a traditional turkey dinner for the staff at the Indian restaurant our friend was the manager of. I wanted him to be with his wife and daughter, so we took the party to the restaurant. It was nice because I didn't have to clean up much. I think there may have been 12 of us including the chef. I really wanted to do it again this year but he got a new job so they will be here along with another friend. He actually gave me the turkey he got from his new job. So:
We will be having turkey marinaded in apple cider all night. I don't stuff my turkey. I put an orange in it with a peeled onion stuffed with cloves. It makes the best gravy and the turkey is really moist.

I might make a small ham.
Sweet potatoes with roasted coconut and pecans.
Home made bread in the bread machine.
Stuffing baked with an apple and pears and sage sausage.

Baked pears.
Roasted veggies. (zucchini and yellow squash and Brussels sprouts.)
Cranberries and olives.

Home made apple crisp with butter pecan ice cream
Pumpkin pie
and some good bubbly.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Can't rep you again.

I know what you mean about non-drinkers. In my family, it's usually a sign that they are not related.

The brandy coconut sweet potatoes really sound scrumptious. Are you making the cranberry sauce? You are so fotunate to have a 12 year old great grad daughter who is an accomplished and prolific baker. You must be proud!
She is a sweetheart and as for cooking and baking she has been doing this for about 3 years I think. Not long ago her granddad (our sil) bought a box of brownie mix asked her to make brownies. She was a bit surprised that people actually make Brownies out of a box. The only thing she doesn't make from scratch is pie crust. I am pretty sure she makes her pies with ready made crust. Thanks for the compliment. She is pretty special in a lot of ways. The only thing she doesn't do well is sports and her dad always dreamed of having a son that was an athlete. Instead he got 3 little girls.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Oh, added to our dinner will be a ham. I forgot granddaughters husband always does ham as well as turkey. this is the granddaughter who doesn't do left overs so will come home with enough food for a week probably.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:48 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
Hey teach I'm coming to your house! I'll do the dishes!!

Old 11-18-2018, 07:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
That is the part I'm struggling with...I don't think there is enough "green" on my menu....
Yeah, me either so I added Watergate "salad."

Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Wow! Some of you have a lot of work coming up this week. And a lot of comaraderie, too, it sounds like.

It will be just the four of us but no less excitement. I'm picking away at the chores. Clean oven, clean refrigerator, wash kitchen cupboards - all things long overdue since I play outdoors most of the summer. Today I'll bake and freeze the bread.

We're traditionalists:

Port wine cheddar cheese spread and onion crax

Turkey
Stuffing
Cranberry jelly (I like relish ground with orange but don't make it anymore since no one else does.)
Mashed Yukon golds with gravy
The Abominable cranberry fluff
Cousin Barb's oatmeal buns
Chef Daughter will bring a side or two and probably her delicious deviled eggs for her dad

Pumpkin pie with real whipped cream and a dish of chocolate covered orange jellies

This is really a monochrome meal, isn't it? Not making a tossed salad this year.

Don't forget to take pictures for us! (I want to see Blitzen drooling his little heart out.)

Old 11-18-2018, 09:40 AM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My sister in law does the dinner and I do the desserts.

Desserts will be:

pumpkin pie
ginger-mascarpone icebox cake
maybe rum cake
I have had requests to change the rum cake to pecan pie. Pecan pie in and of itself is a meh BUT, I worked in a fancy restaurant a long time ago that served Thanksgiving dinner. They served their wonderful already pecan pie but they made something with it called brandied hard sauce. It is like a cross between whipped cream and ice cream texture. Very easy to make:

Uses confectioner's sugar
brandy
butter
egg yolk

It is to die for. You just use a small scoop as it is very rich. LMK if anyone would like this simple recipe.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:48 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I have had requests to change the rum cake to pecan pie. Pecan pie in and of itself is a meh BUT, I worked in a fancy restaurant a long time ago that served Thanksgiving dinner. They served their wonderful already pecan pie but they made something with it called brandied hard sauce. It is like a cross between whipped cream and ice cream texture. Very easy to make:

Uses confectioner's sugar
brandy
butter
egg yolk

It is to die for. You just use a small scoop as it is very rich. LMK if anyone would like this simple recipe.
That sounds amazing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink