Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 04:27 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times

Advertisements

We don't do Thanksgiving here in Australia, but I've enjoyed reading this thread about your menus. I do have some questions:

What the heck is a green bean casserole?

Are mashed potatoes considered 'special' in the US? Many of you have them on your Thanksgiving menu. Here we would be more likely to have roast potatoes with a special meal (especially if already roasting a bird or piece of meat), or maybe some fancy potato dish like dauphinoise or something. Mashed potato is an everyday type dish here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
snip

I'm still working out the details. I'm serving wine with dinner, and I've decided to make one coctail that everyone will enjoy. Something "Thanksgiving-y". I am still working on the details. I want to serve it from a piture, I don't feel like playing "bar maid", so I'll offer wine, beer and one coctail.
What is a piture? Do I want one?

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 06:14 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Ha, ha.

You can always add one of those pre mixed kale salads. They are pretty good

Do you not know to whom you speak?!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-19-2018, 06:18 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
We don't do Thanksgiving here in Australia, but I've enjoyed reading this thread about your menus. I do have some questions:

Are mashed potatoes considered 'special' in the US? Many of you have them on your Thanksgiving menu. Here we would be more likely to have roast potatoes with a special meal (especially if already roasting a bird or piece of meat),
LOL. The only time I eat mashed potatoes is Thanksgiving. I think they are served to go with the gravy though.

Green bean casserole:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1950575
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-19-2018, 06:22 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
We have a small turkey (just shy of 10 lbs). I’m going to spatchcock it this year, never done that with a turkey before.
Mashed potatoes
Broccoli rice casserole
2 different stuffings, I guess they should be called “dressings”, since you can’t actually stuff a spatchcocked bird. My chestnut stuffing and a simple bread/sage dressing.
Gravy
Steamed carrots
Green salad
Champagne
Wine
Coffee
Pies

Old 11-19-2018, 06:44 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm going to do that this year, too. Sure hope I can keep my turkey nice and juicy. Probably won't slice it until serving time.

Came down this morning to the refrigerator moved out and DH lying on the floor with tools spread around him. What a mess! Why do appliances wait until holidays to have a hiccup? I think it's built into them.
Last year, I just drizzled some chicken stock all over the sliced turkey before I put it in the refrigerator for the evening. Then, I splashed a little more on it before reheating. Turned out nice and juicy.

Hope your refrigerator issues are figured out soon! Not the right time for them, that's for sure!

Old 11-19-2018, 07:08 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
I've finally decided upon a menu, after much negotiations and discussion.
We will be having -

Appetizer -

Baked Brie en Croute, grapes-, sliced pears and apples. Assorted crackers.
Thanksgiving themed cocktail, wine, beer or apple cider.

Entrees -

Roasted Butternut Squash and Black Diamond White Cheddar Cheese Bread Pudding (vegetarian)
With kale, shallots, held together with a creamy custard, laced with Dijon mustard and white wine.

Black pepper, bourbon and maple syrup baked wild salmon (G-free)

Field Roast en croute (vegan)

Green Beans with Mushrooms in Madiera Sauce topped with crunchy fried shallots. (vegan, G-free, vegetarian)

Wild Rice and Cranberry Salad - wild and brown rice with organic sun dried cranberries and pine nuts with an orange vinaigrette - (vegetarian, vegan, G-free)

Praline topped orange sweet potato bake (vegetarian)

Roasted root vegetables with thyme (vegetarian, vegan, G-free)

Mashed parsnips and Idaho potatoes with butter (vegetarian, G-Free)

Traditional bread stuffing with Bell's seasoning, carrots, celery, and onions. (vegan, vegetarian)

Wild Mushroom, shallot, and Madeira wine gravy (vegetarian, vegan)

Romaine and Pear salad with blue cheese. (vegetarian, G-free)

Assorted rolls and bread

Desert -

Chocolate pecan pie (vegetarian)

Apple pie (Vehan, Vegetarian and G-free)

pumpkin chiffon pie. (vegetarian)

assorted ice creams, and cookies. (some vegan and G-free)

Wishing everyone a happy and harmonious Thanksgiving!

Old 11-19-2018, 08:45 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
If you can't find a chicken, you could roast a whole turkey and then put the leftover meat in the freezer. I bag it up with chicken broth so it doesn't dry out. It's great to use all winter long for soups, casseroles, pot pies, etc.
Thanks for the suggestion, I did finally find one today at a grocery I don't usually go to. I don't have time to cook a huge turkey, which is why I won't. Haha, happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-19-2018, 10:08 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
I roasted a spatchcocked turkey today. Froze the legs and breast. Will thaw out and heat them with the spatchcocked turkey we do on Thanksgiving. So four legs and four breasts, and a bit of dark thigh meat on the platter.

12# bird in the oven for 90 minutes. Put the rack over a bed of onions, celery, and carrots.

Stripped the bones and put them on the rack along with backbone I cut out earlier, and the neck. Roasted at 400 degrees for 90 minutes then poured them in the stock pot where the onions, celery, and carrots were waiting. Added water to the roasting pan to get out all the brown bits and poured that in the stock pot. Added water and cooked fo 2 hours.

Strained it all out and had some scrumptious stock for gravy that headed to the freezer with the legs and the breast.

This gets the gravy underway. Gives us plenty of turkey for dinner and leftovers, and I only tie up the oven for 90 minutes on Thursday with the turkey.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:27 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

Are mashed potatoes considered 'special' in the US? Many of you have them on your Thanksgiving menu. Here we would be more likely to have roast potatoes with a special meal (especially if already roasting a bird or piece of meat), or maybe some fancy potato dish like dauphinoise or something. Mashed potato is an everyday type dish here.

What is a piture? Do I want one?

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
Ah, green bean casserole. Frozen green beans and cream of mushroom soup topped with French fried onions from a can. Not sure how it ended up being a Thanksgiving staple, but it shows up every year. It always gets eaten, but it's not tasty enough to make an appearance any other time of year.

I've tried fancy it up with fresh green beens, homemade mushroom sauce and crispy fried shallots. But folks were disappointed not to get the gloopy variety.

There are those who do fancy roasted potatoes or scalloped potatoes. But then what do you put the gravy on? The dressing?

Pitchers of cocktails. Our gathering includes several who really shouldn't be drinking, so we serve three different drinks. Warm mulled apple cider in a crock pot, and two pitchers of punch that remind us of cocktails but without the booze.

This year one pitcher has cranberry cocktail juice, pineapple juice, and ginger ale. I freeze pineapple tidbits in their juice and use these for ice cubes along with frozen cranberries and lime slices.

The other pitcher has grapefruit juice. Folks pour it into their glass, top with ginger ale and a splash of grenadine.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:53 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Ah, green bean casserole. Frozen green beans and cream of mushroom soup topped with French fried onions from a can. Not sure how it ended up being a Thanksgiving staple, but it shows up every year. It always gets eaten, but it's not tasty enough to make an appearance any other time of year.

I've tried fancy it up with fresh green beens, homemade mushroom sauce and crispy fried shallots. But folks were disappointed not to get the gloopy variety.

There are those who do fancy roasted potatoes or scalloped potatoes. But then what do you put the gravy on? The dressing?

Pitchers of cocktails. Our gathering includes several who really shouldn't be drinking, so we serve three different drinks. Warm mulled apple cider in a crock pot, and two pitchers of punch that remind us of cocktails but without the booze.

This year one pitcher has cranberry cocktail juice, pineapple juice, and ginger ale. I freeze pineapple tidbits in their juice and use these for ice cubes along with frozen cranberries and lime slices.

The other pitcher has grapefruit juice. Folks pour it into their glass, top with ginger ale and a splash of grenadine.
Oh dear re the green bean casserole - I think I'd have to pass on that, though your made-from-scratch version sounds nice!

Gravy is really good with roast potatoes - in fact over here you'd be in trouble if you didn't serve a good, meaty gravy to go with them.

Ah, a pitcher! I was sure I was missing out on some fancy French gizmo for serving cocktails, and could ask for one for Christmas!

Thanks for clarifying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink