Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,422,498 times

Advertisements

I know we have many parts of the country and world with pleasant weather for several months. In addition to being outside I love to eat outside. I've always treated my porches, patios, courtyards and whatevers as extra rooms.

I love the front porch area on my townhouse. It's covered and big enough for a good sized wrought iron table and two chairs. This is where I drink coffee every morning and eat breakfast and sometimes lunch on the weekend. Eating outside, to me, is a little break in the routine.

The patio/ back area is a great entertaining space for bigger groups, although I haven't got that far yet!

I had a huge screened in porch on my previous house and really spent a lot of time out there. It was almost an extra three season room.

Not to leave out restaurants . . . I also love restaurants with outdoor spaces. They just seem so relaxing.

What do our posters like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 09:32 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Best place to eat outside is in the back country at about 6000ft drinking a cup of camp coffee and watching the sun come over the ridge while the fresh caught trout sizzles in a cast iron pan in bacon fat over the campfire.

Thats me in about 6 weeks at deer camp.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 AM

878 posts, read 2,738,603 times
I don't like to eat outside but I do love to drink outside, morning coffee, afternoon or evening cocktail or glass of wine.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,767,984 times
I enjoy eating outside. During the spring and fall, and on the occasional day in the summer when it's not too hot, we often have dinner outside and enjoy having our weekend morning coffee outside on our deck.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,378,722 times
We have awnings on our patio and we have breakfast and dinner on the patio as much as the weather permits--except in July we were dealing with high 90's low 100's most of the month.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
I do not. Flying insects love me and my food too much to enjoy the experience.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:16 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,422,498 times
Bulldog Dad's post brought up a childhood memory. I grew up in metro Atlanta and my family went to Gatlinburg every summer for a few days. On the drive up we used to stop in the Nantahala George and cook breakfast. NEVER has bacon smelled so good! My dad would cook the bacon in a cast iron pan (of course) on a Coleman stove and then fix the eggs. It seems like we took a metal pan for the eggs and I know we made toast in one of the skillets. The thermos of coffee went with us -- made at home before we left. I can just smell the hot Maxwell House coffee in the glass lined thermos. Before I drank coffee (or coffee milk!) there was some chocolate milk and a Coca Cola in a small glass bottle in the ice chest for me.

I'm so glad that I have those vacation memories. My parents worked hard. They owned a dime store and we ran it six days a week. I can remember them really looking relaxed while we were eating breakfast.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:19 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I do not. Flying insects love me and my food too much to enjoy the experience.
Wait until cooler or even cold weather. I went to the New York Aquarium once in January on a gray, snowy, and cold day. When we came out we decided to look over Coney Island and became very cold very quickly. We stopped at Nathan's and each got a hot dog and a cup of Manhattan Clam Chowder. Oh my goodness, did that hit the spot.

That's the stuff of great memories.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Wait until cooler or even cold weather. I went to the New York Aquarium once in January on a gray, snowy, and cold day. When we came out we decided to look over Coney Island and became very cold very quickly. We stopped at Nathan's and each got a hot dog and a cup of Manhattan Clam Chowder. Oh my goodness, did that hit the spot.

That's the stuff of great memories.
Ah! Eating hot food outside on a cold day. I love that!

That reminds me of an old boyfriend in Montreal. He had a convertible MGB that he never took out in winter, of course. One winter day, though, the roads were dry but it was cold. We went out in the car, he took down the roof, and cranked the heat. As we drove around like that -- hot/cold -- I said we were like a hot fudge sundae. I haven't forgotten it yet... 30 years later.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Hot Irish coffees and clam chowder in sourdough bowls at Hyde park watching the fog come through the Golden Gate on a blustery day in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink