Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:17 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
I do have one question... Years ago all copper pipes for water, but also in bars had to be replaced. It was poisoning, the copper.
And now you can cook in it????
It was lead in the solder used to connect the copper pipes and fittings together that possibly leached into the water that was the problem, not the copper. The solution was to use lead-free solder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 08:23 AM

6,868 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm sorry if I sounded snippy. I probably did, but I thought you did, too. Can we call it "no harm, no foul?"

My wok was a gift, and I am pretty sure it's not carbon steel, because stuff sticks to it like crazy. I would love to find one like Chinese chefs use (I've some experience working in Chinese restaurants, and I loved watching how effortless they make it look), and ideally, I'd like to have the gas stove to go with it. No snark intended: we have an old electric stove, and I loathe it with every fiber of my being. If you can point me in the direction of a good wok, I would be grateful.

My current cast iron skillet was not in the best of shape when I started using it (it actually belongs to my housemate), which may be part of the problem, but I did not know you could use soap on one. I've always been told to avoid soap of any kind like the plague, and just clean it with hot water and a salt scrub. Good to know, if I can rehabilitate this one, or get another. I still like my Copperchef pans, but there's nothing like cornbread made in a cast iron skillet.

I think there's a place for several of these things in my kitchen, but there are definitely some pots and pans I would like to replace, because they don't do anything well.
Google how to re-season and maintain a cast iron pan. I use a little soap and a plastic scrubby (I tend to use scrubbies on most everything instead of cloth.) For cleaning and wipe dry. We have an ugly work from a restaurant supply store but nothing sticks to it. I have no idea what metal it's made of. As for the copper clad pans from TV, I haven't tried one. I have seen them in the stores now. They are cheap enough to try. I picked one up and didn't like the weight.....it didn't have any!

Old 11-27-2018, 09:02 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times
Nothing offered for sale in an infomercial is worth anything.
I use my cast iron set when I do the cooking. Wife uses her copper/stainless set. Yes we have 2 sets, a his and hers lol

Old 11-27-2018, 10:26 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
It was lead in the solder used to connect the copper pipes and fittings together that possibly leached into the water that was the problem, not the copper. The solution was to use lead-free solder.
Thank you. It was in the 70 and eighties they swapped them out.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:01 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Thanks, guys, but I was hoping for more of a comparison between the different kinds. I saw another commercial last night for a non-stick "granite" one. And I'm also interested in whether they're less deleterious for the environment.
I've used the CopperChef pans, and they're pretty non-stick and clean up easily. The square pan is great for some foods, like frying hamburgers, but awkward for others, such as omelettes.

What I don't like is that they feel flimsy. My favorite non-stick pans are Calphalon Classic - affordable and sturdy. Mine are about 10 years old, still in great shape, and can be used for almost anything. I paid $49 for a frying and saute pan set at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I also have some collectible Griswold and Wagner cast iron skillets, which I like to use for scrambled eggs, frying meats, and sauteing. I do need to invest in some silicone handle covers, though ... ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
I do have one question... Years ago all copper pipes for water, but also in bars had to be replaced. It was poisoning, the copper.
And now you can cook in it????
It was lead in the solder used to connect the pipes that was the issue, not the copper itself. Rest easy.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:06 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I got one of the small copper colored ones for free. The size you would use for eggs. It works very well and seems to be holding up. They are quite slippery!

Old 11-27-2018, 11:27 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Not accurate in either direction.

Standard for house construction is still the use of copper pipe.

And, cook pots made of copper are always coated on the inside, usually with (delicate) tin.

Actually, I am not sure there's any danger in cooking in a copper vessel, I suspect the problem is that it either imparts a taste to the food or causes discloration.

Seems to me anytime I've been by one of those candy making shops where it's done in the front window they're usually cooking in un-coated copper pots.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:22 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
My sister asked for a ceramic frying pan one year for Christmas. I got her pretty much the first one that showed up on Amazon with high ratings. She liked it so much, she bought a set. Said nothing at all sticks ever... and she's not the best cook, so I don't doubt some burned food!

Old 11-28-2018, 10:22 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I've always been told to avoid soap of any kind like the plague, and just clean it with hot water and a salt scrub. Good to know, if I can rehabilitate this one, or get another. I still like my Copperchef pans, but there's nothing like cornbread made in a cast iron skillet.
The soap won't hurt the pan, but scrubbing it with salt will remove some of the seasoning from.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/...iron-pans.html

You can usually restore cast iron pans if they haven't been overheated, cracked or warped. I restored a 1960s vintage Benjamin & Medwin skillet that had been in storage for ~20 years and was almost all rust.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:51 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Cast iron omelet pan.... yup, I've got two of them but they are enamel coated cast iron, so maybe that doesn't count?

I used to have a big cast iron skillet that I really loved. I don't know what happened to it. I bought a replacement recently, and it doesn't matter what I do to it, I can't get it to the point where anything and everything doesnt stick to it like a concrete coating. It's a famous name brand, too. I'm guessing the new cast iron just isn't the same as the older cast iron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink