Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 04:53 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing all these tacky commercials for various brands of "only on TV" miraculously non-stick pans - copper, green, ceramic...

So what's up with all that? Are they as good as they say? Are they better than traditional variations of teflon? Are they more durable? Are they less bad environmentally? Are some brand better than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 02:38 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I keep seeing all these tacky commercials for various brands of "only on TV" miraculously non-stick pans - copper, green, ceramic...

So what's up with all that? Are they as good as they say? Are they better than traditional variations of teflon? Are they more durable? Are they less bad environmentally? Are some brand better than others?
I have a couple of the Copperchef pans, and I like them. They are safe to use at a higher temperature than Teflon, and they don't get scratched up as easily. They're also easy to clean, and I have never had to scrub one. Not a bad deal for a $20 skillet. I just wish they'd come out with saucepans and a wok.

They've been mentioned in a couple of threads, if you want to read other comments. Actually, it was the first one linked below that convinced me to try my first one.

FWIW, I did not order mine from a commercial. I got them at Walmart.

If you decide to try them, do follow the instructions, as they conduct heat very well, and you may not need to use as high a setting on your stove.

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...one-refer.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/produ...-bought-2.html

Old 11-25-2018, 07:42 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I have one of the copper ones....it does conduct heat quickly and evenly...never have had to scrub at all, one of the nicest features. Used in stove and oven.
The slick interior is almost slippery...everything slides easily when stirring or removing from pan. No scratches after one year of use...

Buy a small fry pan to see if you like the product. I have All Clad cookware but it's nice to have one copper coated one.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:25 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
More solutions in search of a problem.

I never have the least trouble cooking without sticking, using one of my cast iron skillets, or one of my small stainless steel ones. If you use a little (very little!) oil and keep your cotton picking hands off the protein food till it forms a skin, you won't have any trouble either. Half a teaspoon of oil won't hurt you.

What's the advantage?

I will never - barring some kind of catastrophe - have to buy another frying pan again.

You cannot say that about the coated ones.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:42 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
More solutions in search of a problem.

I never have the least trouble cooking without sticking, using one of my cast iron skillets, or one of my small stainless steel ones. If you use a little (very little!) oil and keep your cotton picking hands off the protein food till it forms a skin, you won't have any trouble either. Half a teaspoon of oil won't hurt you.

What's the advantage?

I will never - barring some kind of catastrophe - have to buy another frying pan again.

You cannot say that about the coated ones.
The OP asked a question about a specific kind of pan, and two of us who have used that pan answered. Is that okay with you?

I like cast iron, too, but if anything happens that requires a cast iron skillet to be washed, it must be re-seasoned, which is a pain. They are also heavy, and I've never seen one that was the proper shape for doing a stir-fry or an omelette.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:59 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The OP asked a question about a specific kind of pan, and two of us who have used that pan answered. Is that okay with you?

I like cast iron, too, but if anything happens that requires a cast iron skillet to be washed, it must be re-seasoned, which is a pain. They are also heavy, and I've never seen one that was the proper shape for doing a stir-fry or an omelette.
Yes, you commented with specific information about specific makes and models, which is fine; I took it a level up and suggested that "non-stick" cookware is not necessary in the first place. In my mind, the details among different versions of something are not relevant if the something isn't necessary in the first place.

I didn't confine my comments to cast iron, if you notice; I have also never had sticking problems with my stainless steel skillets. You're right, I haven't seen a cast iron omelette pan, and for that I use a stainless steel one (in which I've never had any problems with sticking). Actually, a plain stamped carbon steel pan would probably be best for that.

There are cast iron woks, but they don't really work very well. The traditional plain stamped carbon steel wok (like actual Chinese chefs use, that do this for a living day in and day out) are the best. I've never had a problem with anything sticking to one of these, either.

I have been washing my cast iron skillets for 50 years now and have never had to re-season one. Of course you don't put it in the dishwasher! You just use some Palmolive and a plastic scrubby, and dry it off.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:30 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I never buy anything that is advertised "As seen on TV". You can buy excellent ware that are truly "non-stick".

Old 11-26-2018, 03:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
https://www.thespruceeats.com/eco-fr...okware-1707203

You might have a look at this link to understand what non stick pans are out there.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:20 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Thanks, guys, but I was hoping for more of a comparison between the different kinds. I saw another commercial last night for a non-stick "granite" one. And I'm also interested in whether they're less deleterious for the environment.

Turf, I know about cast iron, but every time I've made up my mind to buy cast iron, I go to the store ... and weigh the pan in my hand ... and say, No, I just can't, it's too damn heavy.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:22 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Thanks, guys, but I was hoping for more of a comparison between the different kinds. I saw another commercial last night for a non-stick "granite" one. And I'm also interested in whether they're less deleterious for the environment.

Turf, I know about cast iron, but every time I've made up my mind to buy cast iron, I go to the store ... and weigh the pan in my hand ... and say, No, I just can't, it's too damn heavy.
I got rid of my Le Creuset, the big pots, because of the weight... add food and it's VERY hard to maneuver...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink