Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 12:20 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,148,999 times

Advertisements

This year I'm going all out and splurging. Are you? On what?
Here's what I've ordered:

Mexican: tamales from Vermont Country Store. Hunter Wold made the best ones but he's no longer with us and I'm not up for the challenge.

Fruit: clementines and mixed mixed fruits from Pittman & Davis

Scandinavian: 3 lbs. of lutefisk (I will make my own lefse to go with) from Marina Market

German: Kassler rippchen (smoked pork chops, Bavarian sauerkraut, Bockwurst, AND Moni Cheri chocolate covered cherries soaked in cherry liquor (one box for me; one box for my honey).

Jewish deli: bagels, cream cheese, lox, and chocolate babka from Zabar's.

Guess who's dieting in January!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 03:24 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,079,005 times
Black truffles, escargot and caviar from a local place that is open to the public.

If the New York Mart has them, a geoduck or two, maybe a dungeness crab or two.

Of course stone crab is in season, so some claws from Grimm's Stone Crab.

Standing rib-roast.

Some chocolates from one of the local Chocolatiers.

BTW, I won't be dieting in January.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:32 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,188,203 times
im going to splurge on more local seafood - from lobsters to crab to scallops...I grew up in a small fishing village along the coast... as we worked during the day - from lobstering to dragging for scallops to fishing...we would enjoy the immediate harvest right on the boat... usually our lunch and snacks.... and we would also bring home seafood for the evening meals... i was curious & amazed at all the different varieties the sea had to offer and never got sick of any of it …. snails, to flounder, to mackerel, skate, cod, haddock, dogfish, stripers, bluefish, scallops, mussels, oysters, shrimp, and my favorites .. lobsters & clams..on extremely low tides- we could go around the mud-flats and "hand pick" for very large clams.....didnt have to dig for them...just see a clam hole in the mud and run your hand down and grab them..... didnt take long to get our harvest - then we would shuck them and fry them up..... i loved fishing ….so i usually ate what i caught - but was always amazed at fish that would go into lobster traps... the ugly sculpins were one of the best tasting..

yes, fresh seafoods, i want to get back to eating more and also trying to harvest my own...from weekend trips to fishing/digging clams.....etc. (its legal to dig for bloodworms ….and clams are in the same muck) .

also want to harvest more local protein.... from deer to rabbits, to moose and maybe bear..and turkeys..and game birds (all hunting seasons up here) ant to try more ducks and geese..

what i have to guard against is splurging on sugars i love- ice cream...
i treated myself for a couple dairy queen blizzards this past summer...my god...like a food orgasm... so good!!

did i read above someone mentioned standing rib roast?? i will also try to splurge more on those

Old 11-25-2018, 04:46 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,298,809 times
Wow I love reading these ideas. It's going to be a lean year for me but no complaints. I'm new to the desert area and will focus on local offerings. My splurge will be the local tea cottage. The vendors at the farmer's market sell their locally grown produce and beef. I found orange bark there yesterday.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
This year I'm going all out and splurging. Are you? On what?
Here's what I've ordered:

Mexican: tamales from Vermont Country Store. Hunter Wold made the best ones but he's no longer with us and I'm not up for the challenge.

Fruit: clementines and mixed mixed fruits from Pittman & Davis

Scandinavian: 3 lbs. of lutefisk (I will make my own lefse to go with) from Marina Market

German: Kassler rippchen (smoked pork chops, Bavarian sauerkraut, Bockwurst, AND Moni Cheri chocolate covered cherries soaked in cherry liquor (one box for me; one box for my honey).

Jewish deli: bagels, cream cheese, lox, and chocolate babka from Zabar's.

Guess who's dieting in January!!
Fun thread: I was about to say Lox and Bagels: you beat me to it. WE have them every Christmas morning along with pickled herring. Of course prime rib is our meat of choice for Christmas but my daughter is having Christmas dinner at her house so I won't have to spend $50 meat. I four younger daughter was here we would be adding lots of good seafood to our menu. I still might do some type of seafood appetizer for Christmas eve or day.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:29 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,829,419 times
Been reading over Zabar's catalog for the holidays...maybe something from this fabulous store...

Old 11-25-2018, 10:09 AM

20,923 posts, read 28,374,654 times
I always make a prime rib, I may splurge on some lobster too. Zabars is great!! Expensive but worth the splurge. I also recommend Wolferman's as well. I love their English muffins.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:16 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,743,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
im going to splurge on more local seafood - from lobsters to crab to scallops...I grew up in a small fishing village along the coast... as we worked during the day - from lobstering to dragging for scallops to fishing...we would enjoy the immediate harvest right on the boat... usually our lunch and snacks.... and we would also bring home seafood for the evening meals... i was curious & amazed at all the different varieties the sea had to offer and never got sick of any of it …. snails, to flounder, to mackerel, skate, cod, haddock, dogfish, stripers, bluefish, scallops, mussels, oysters, shrimp, and my favorites .. lobsters & clams..on extremely low tides- we could go around the mud-flats and "hand pick" for very large clams.....didnt have to dig for them...just see a clam hole in the mud and run your hand down and grab them..... didnt take long to get our harvest - then we would shuck them and fry them up..... i loved fishing ….so i usually ate what i caught - but was always amazed at fish that would go into lobster traps... the ugly sculpins were one of the best tasting..

yes, fresh seafoods, i want to get back to eating more and also trying to harvest my own...from weekend trips to fishing/digging clams.....etc. (its legal to dig for bloodworms ….and clams are in the same muck) .

also want to harvest more local protein.... from deer to rabbits, to moose and maybe bear..and turkeys..and game birds (all hunting seasons up here) ant to try more ducks and geese..

what i have to guard against is splurging on sugars i love- ice cream...
i treated myself for a couple dairy queen blizzards this past summer...my god...like a food orgasm... so good!!

did i read above someone mentioned standing rib roast?? i will also try to splurge more on those
I envy you.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:51 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,117,721 times
Well, this thread is inspirational. We have decided to have smoked salmon on Christmas Eve.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,249,202 times
I am going to stop at the ALDI when I get back to the Midwest and get about five packages of their German cookies. And after recent threads, I may head into Kentucky and buy some country ham. That will probably be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink