Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 08:04 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

Sad to read. My mom was a great cook. Loved most everything she did, including vegetables like squash, spinach, collards, okra and tomatoes, broccoli, brussels sprouts. About the only things I didn't like were eggs, chicken livers (dad ate them like popcorn, but to me just the stench from cooking them was enough to lose my appetite), and fried chicken with the skin on (though I loved it with the skin off).

Even after years of trying I've never been able to duplicate her steak tips or meatloaf, though I think this year I came the closest I ever have to her cornbread dressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 10:56 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Liver and onions
Cow tongue.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:17 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
In the 1970s my co-worker and friend offered me a bite of her deli tongue sandwich. I tasted pretty much like like corned beef.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:41 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Anything with peas in it.

I threw-up peas & turkey casserole at the table and Mommy bopped me, LOL.
I was brought up on a traditional Aussie diet of lamb with over cooked vegetables. DH's mother was an excellent Southern European cook.
I love lamb these days (which is now incredibly expensive) but I cannot bear peas and I even pick them out of things like fried rice. I am not keen on things like beans and cooked cabbage. DH will not eat zucchini, eggplant and some other Italian vegetables so we have to eat Chinese vegetables and salad.
My mother would not eat liver, which she was forced to eat every Thursday night when she was a child.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:10 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
"There are starving children in China!!!" - My Mom
"Well send it to them!!!" - Me
Why do adults actually think that "guilt trip" works on kids?

Me: "Who cares?" I got slapped. Actually happened, but it may have been "Africa" instead of "China". And it was for backtalk, not necessarily a 12-year-old's callous attitude toward third world children. I wonder if this happened to the South Park creators (remember the "Starvin' Marvin" episode?)

I would have gladly given a month's allowance to e-mail them the ham and string beans, "turnips", and "rice".
Not to mention the fried scrapple. My grandmother made THAT for supper, too often. Bad enough we were forced to choke down that grease every morning for breakfast in the winter. You'd think we were trecking five miles in the snow to a coal stove heated school house, not three blocks to a central heated modern school.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 11-27-2018 at 03:33 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 04:03 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Goulash. Who knew that it wasn't to be burnt on the bottom! Thats how it was served at my home the day before pay day. Whatever was left in the cupboards went into that creation....got nice and burnt and we were told....eat it or starve.

hated (and still do) asparagus, oysters , clams and my grandmas gizzards she would boil. OMG the smell alone .

Here is the irony though....I absolutely loved my grandmas oyster and clam chowders so long as she took out the critters. Something about the broth that I did savor.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:17 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Omelets. Which I am purposely not giving the French spelling, as my mother's were as far from the classic French version as can be. My mother wasn't a bad cook, simply a disinterested cook. If you couldn't throw it (and some ancillary ingredients) in the pressure cooker or under the broiler, it generally didn't get made in our house. (Much later, Mother would discover the gospel according to St. Julia Child, and ply all and sundry with quiche, onion soup, and coquilles St. Jacques, but I was practically out of the house by that point.)

To make an omelet, she would beat the eggs, then throw them, some meat, and some cheese into a skillet, then let the entire thing cook without stirring for as long as it took for the top to look done, which resulted in this burnt-on-the-bottom coagulation that no one really enjoyed. Later in life, I would learn the right way to make an omelette, courtesy of a roommate who could cook.

My father was the culinary saving grace of my childhood. He learned to cook from his Neapolitan next-door neighbor growing up, and he made dinner at least twice a week, so we had plenty of pasta and chicken dishes. He made sure we had pizza once a week as well.

Neither of them forced us to eat food we didn't like. I get such a frisson of gratitude when I read about someone else's being forced to sit at the table until they ate the gruel or hockey puck their parent forced them to eat before they could leave the table.

Last edited by jay5835; 11-27-2018 at 04:29 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 04:31 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Tripe and Liver both make my list, whilst I leave sweetbreads to the French.

Tapioca pudding is also fairly disgusting.

Not sure if Americans have had the pleasure of eating Marmite, which is beef extract which is spread on toast. It's fairly disgusting.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:39 AM

273 posts, read 102,493 times
I forgot about liver leather and onion slop. And rutabaga mash and boiled lima beans. Thank gosh, tuna noodle casserole never entered our house. But was served at many a friend's houses. Poor them!
Oh, and most days we brown bagged our lunch to school. But maybe twice a month mom would give us cash for the cafeteria, which thrilled us for a change of boring same ol, same ol. We never ate chinese food at home or at restaurants, so I hadn't any experience of what to expect. The school served this muk they called chow mein. Just a slimy mess. No could do. Boy, cookies and milk were sure enjoyed when I got home from school that day.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Liver and onions
Cow tongue.
Oh God, I had forgotten about tongue. We had it about once a year, as well as neck bones. I loved neck bones. As for tongue there should be a law against serving it or pigs feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink