Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 09:17 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,177,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Tripe and Liver both make my list, whilst I leave sweetbreads to the French.

Tapioca pudding is also fairly disgusting.

Not sure if Americans have had the pleasure of eating Marmite, which is beef extract which is spread on toast. It's fairly disgusting.

There was always Marmite and Vegemite in my house growing up, but my mother loved it and never offered it to us so she didn't have to share. It smelled nasty and I was never tempted to try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 09:19 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,424,566 times
Any identifiable creature or organ. Chop it up and make it into a patty or breaded stick, and I’m good to go. Just don’t bring a steaming little kidney, liver, or corpse to my table. Or some fish, staring at me accusingly. Ever again.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:20 AM

27,678 posts, read 13,882,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
There was always Marmite and Vegemite in my house growing up, but my mother loved it and never offered it to us so she didn't have to share. It smelled nasty and I was never tempted to try it.

You did the right thing, as it tastes awful and over powering and you just can't get rid of the taste.

Marmite is more British, Vegemite is more popular in Australia.

I hate the smell of tripe cooking, and I hate the smell of butchers shops and fish mongers.

I remember this market in the town I grew up in and it had a meat market and the blood would be running down the market floor.

Really made me want to throw up, and it had a stall that just sold tripe.

I hated going in that market.

Semolina pudding is another one I don't like, bland and boring.

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-27-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 09:38 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,209,720 times
Oh gosh. Anyone who grew up in the 50s and 60 must have a whole laundry list of awful dinners. One of my friends on FB delighted in posting ads from that era of disgusting concoctions, usually involving some kind of meat and Jello, with an inappropriate condiment thrown in for good measure.

My least favorite was a baked tuna and potato chip casserole. I didn't mind tuna or potato chips, but hot tuna and limp, sauced potato chips was practically inedible for me.

My mother also bought steaks once in a while and cooked them beyond well-done, a culinary sin. I often couldn't finish even a small one, and then I'd get the lecture about "There are starving children in India who would love to have that for dinner," (clearly unaware of the place of cows in Indian culture) to which I once replied, in utter frustration, "Then send it to THEM!"

The soggy, overcooked veggies, the awful casseroles - it was a dark time in American cooking.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:35 AM

89,097 posts, read 85,720,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Oh gosh. Anyone who grew up in the 50s and 60 must have a whole laundry list of awful dinners. One of my friends on FB delighted in posting ads from that era of disgusting concoctions, usually involving some kind of meat and Jello, with an inappropriate condiment thrown in for good measure.

My least favorite was a baked tuna and potato chip casserole. I didn't mind tuna or potato chips, but hot tuna and limp, sauced potato chips was practically inedible for me.

My mother also bought steaks once in a while and cooked them beyond well-done, a culinary sin. I often couldn't finish even a small one, and then I'd get the lecture about "There are starving children in India who would love to have that for dinner," (clearly unaware of the place of cows in Indian culture) to which I once replied, in utter frustration, "Then send it to THEM!"

The soggy, overcooked veggies, the awful casseroles - it was a dark time in American cooking.
Yes, it was, but we were skinny!

I think your baked tuna and potato chip casserole was my mother's corned beef casserole with the canned corned beef switched out for the tuna. My mother is allergic to fish, so she probably avoided making it with tuna.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:39 AM

42,096 posts, read 75,654,963 times
My dad was a meat-and-potatoes guy, so I grew up eating potatoes any way you can imagine, and disliking almost all of them. On the rare occasion I eat potatoes, I just want a baked potato with a little sour cream.

I never liked gravy much, either.

Also: peas, canned vegetables of any kind, corn, stuffed peppers (gag!!), lima beans, soft-boiled eggs, meat loaf, and squishy white bread.

Childhood staples I still like: tuna casserole (no peas or chips, please), fish sticks, mac and cheese, Rice a Roni, Jell-O, pudding, and tapioca.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:43 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,465,857 times
Pork chops! My mom would buy the cheapest cuts that were always tough. She probably overcooked them as well.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:43 PM

15,185 posts, read 28,011,008 times
My mother cooked pork chops to death (you could sole shoes w/them!) - she was afraid of trichinosis

I see many of you don't like tuna casserole or red beet eggs - I do!! I still make both (maybe not the recipes you've had before?)

Old 11-27-2018, 01:18 PM

3,208 posts, read 2,520,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
pickled beets; always a favorite of mine: eggplant should stay in ground where it started.

XPLorer48: for those growing up before the 1960s we all remember to being forced to eat what was served. I don't think it had much to do with a controlling parent, we were just taught to eat what was served to us. Maybe it did have t do with growing up during the depression. Regardless, most of us have healthy appetites today and are not nearly as picky as those born after 1980 or so I am amazed at how picky one of our granddaughter's is and her hubby is worse, as are her kids.
No, my stepfather was controlling. We had no conversations at the dinner table. Eat, clear the table, do the dishes, retreat to your room to do homework only to be interrupted by the door opening without a knock to make sure your homework was done. He got steak after my mom returned to work; we kids got hamburger. Btw, he was a child abuser. I was beaten severely with a big thick leather police belt. Narcissistic controller.

I am still a fussy eater. If I don’t like the texture or taste, I don’t eat it. I am an adult so don’t gave to clean my plate. If I don’t eat it, the dogs will or it goes in the compost. We grow our own veggies so I do not grow rutabagas or turnips. My mom said we had rutabagas because my stepfather liked them.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:34 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,209,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I am still a fussy eater. If I don’t like the texture or taste, I don’t eat it. I am an adult so don’t gave to clean my plate. If I don’t eat it, the dogs will or it goes in the compost. We grow our own veggies so I do not grow rutabagas or turnips. My mom said we had rutabagas because my stepfather liked them.
I was forced to eat too many vegetables I hated as a child, then I discovered when I was an adult I actually liked them when they weren't overcooked. I eat almost any vegetable now because I can cook them in a way that I like. My mother hated peas, so we never had those even though I knew from eating at restaurants that I liked them. I never understood why she didn't have to eat peas if I had to eat Brussels sprouts. Parental privilege, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink