Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 02:36 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,157,520 times

Advertisements

Succotash!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 PM

20,189 posts, read 9,709,893 times
Maybe the reason more Americans are overweight today is due to as much to more appetizing meals as it is to calorie-laden pre-prepared food (take-out or frozen)?

I know when I was a kid in the 60's (and I can relate to at least half of the "yuck" meals written about on this thread), when I was told "Either eat what you're given or go hungry", I would often choose to go hungry -- and so back then when I was a teen, I was the equivalent of today's size 3 without dieting.

Btw, one more thing to add: Shake and Bake chicken, which was my mom's idea of going all out. She had MANY great qualities, but being a good cook certainly wasn't one of them! Oh, and Hamburger Helper was another goodie.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:15 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,140,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, it was, but we were skinny!
I truly believe my mom's cooking is the reason I was so skinny as a kid. LOL

Old 11-27-2018, 04:24 PM

89,097 posts, read 85,720,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I truly believe my mom's cooking is the reason I was so skinny as a kid. LOL
I'm serious. I could never eat all my food when I was a kid. We ate meat with every last bit of juice or at cooked out of it, crappy canned veggies, but mashed potatoes at most meals. Sometimes they were baked or done differently, and maybe once a month we would have rice or noodles, but at least 50% of the days of the month, we had mashed potatoes.

To this day, mashed potatoes are my favorite food, and I just figured out why. It was pretty much the only edible thing on the plate when I was a kid.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:31 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,140,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm serious. I could never eat all my food when I was a kid. We ate meat with every last bit of juice or at cooked out of it, crappy canned veggies, but mashed potatoes at most meals. Sometimes they were baked or done differently, and maybe once a month we would have rice or noodles, but at least 50% of the days of the month, we had mashed potatoes.

To this day, mashed potatoes are my favorite food, and I just figured out why. It was pretty much the only edible thing on the plate when I was a kid.
Same. I ate as little as possible. My mom overcooked everything. Fresh from the sea fish was bone dry. Hamburgers and steak were like leather. Veggies were mush. I thought broccoli was yellow until I moved out of the house.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:36 PM

1,584 posts, read 992,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I used to detest liver and onions. Always. About 10 years ago I went out to a cafeteria style place to eat. Friend would get liver and onions, green beans, mashed potatoes. Finally decided I'd try it. Friend told me to put ketchup on the liver. I did. It was delicious. Something about the flavor of the ketchup with the liver and onions made it go from inedible to delicious. Seriously.
Ketchup can cover a lot of sins.

I actually liked liver when I was a kid. Probably the only one who did, too. Calves liver with onions, or chicken livers dredged in flour and sautéed in butter — enjoyed them both. The latter are even better when sherry is added to the melted butter, a trick I learned from a friend.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:49 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,708,802 times
My mouth has been watering while reading through the thread. Although my mom was not a great cook - she overcooked everything - I actually liked her burned mac 'n cheese casserole and black baked cheese on toast. The canned spinach, charred liver & onions, creamed chipped beef on toast, tuna salad, beans & franks, liverwurst sandwiches, and moisture deficient meatloaf were all great, too.

However, my grandfather would hunt jackrabbits on the Chicago prairies and bring them home on the streetcar. Once when I was 5 or 6 I had to sit next to him as he ate the Easter Bunny smothered in horseradish. Me, I just moved it around my plate until it was time to get up from the table.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:20 PM

21,039 posts, read 28,667,941 times
Roast beef, It was always too fatty and rare. I would get yelled at by my dad if I did not eat it. So one day I threw up on my roast beef dinner and never had to eat it again. Now I love it LOL. I pretty much like most foods my mom made when I was a kid because she was a picky eater if she didn't eat it or like she never made it. But she would make as she called it Special foods for my dad which were foods no one else would eat but my father like Venison, Squingilli, Calamari. Oh and I hated Lamb and still do.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:34 PM

21,571 posts, read 10,696,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Tuna fish and canned peas in a cream sauce over toast. Horrendous. Maybe that is a regional thing as DH had the same thing at his house nearby but other friends are aghast.

We also had torn iceberg lettuce salads with two wedges of tomatoes every single night. My brother to this day will not eat a salad at home.
Won’t your mother be sad to learn that the only nutrition in that salad was from the tomatoes? I found out that iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value at all.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:40 PM

21,571 posts, read 10,696,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Cream of Wheat. Not enough brown sugar in the world to make it palatable. And when we started going south for the winter and I ran into grits, I was convinced they are the same thing.

I can distinctly remember having to sit at the table to finish my food after others had left, but I can not, for the life of me, remember what it was I was trying to choke down.

I also didn't like egg salad as a child, but I love it now. Just had some for breakfast.

I have a weird memory of my mom serving rice pudding for dinner (not dessert) and neither my sister nor I would eat it. We were sent to bed without supper. I can't figure this out, mom was usually a good cook, dad had a steady job so it's not like we were in a lean period.
Our lean period foods were my favorites. I didn’t realize she only made them because she couldn’t afford something better. My mom would make homemade macaroni and cheese with fried bologna. Now I wouldn’t eat it, but I sure loved it as a kid. She’d also make pinto beans and corn bread for dinner during the lean times, another dish I really liked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink