Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 05:54 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times

Advertisements

My mother was/is a pretty simple cook. I don't recall her regularly making any particular dish I didn't like. I wasn't a picky eater though. I recall canned spinach one time and that was it. That said, I never tasted many vegetables until I was an adult. It was typically peas, corn or green beans. She never made liver or other commonly disliked meats of any type.

I suppose when you have 4, and much later 5, kids to feed there isn't much room in the budget to buy food that will be wasted or hated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 05:58 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Tuna noodle casserole.
Canned veggies, especially canned spinach.
Minute Rice.
Grossly overcooked meat, especially pork chops like hockey pucks.
Any creamed vegetable.
Cube steak.
Egg salad.

Though I actually didn’t mind creamed chipped beef.
Everyone keeps mentioning cube steak. The only cube steak we ever had was heavily tenderized and chicken fried and delicious.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:45 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Once a week we had liver and onions. I never could like it, and in those days you either ate it or did without. My mom would make mashed potatoes, biscuits and gravy to go with the liver and onions so my supper one night a week was mashed taters and biscuits and gravy. Which wasn’t too bad as I recall.
I love liver and onions but once a week is a lot! ...at least mix it up and instead of onions use crumbled bacon on top.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:48 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Roast beef, It was always too fatty and rare. I would get yelled at by my dad if I did not eat it. So one day I threw up on my roast beef dinner and never had to eat it again. Now I love it LOL. I pretty much like most foods my mom made when I was a kid because she was a picky eater if she didn't eat it or like she never made it. But she would make as she called it Special foods for my dad which were foods no one else would eat but my father like Venison, Squingilli, Calamari. Oh and I hated Lamb and still do.
I did the exact same thing trying to eat poached eggs...they were finally stone cold (but still runny of course!) when I tried to start eating them and I threw up all over the table.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:36 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Wow, I’m glad my parents cooked differently from most US families. We had lots of fresh veggies that were quickly sauteed, often with meat in a stirfry, or braised with good old-fashioned pork or beef or chicken before agrifarming took the fat and flavor out of them. Summer veggies came from our own garden, corn on the cob from local farmstands. Rice was real rice—not Minute Rice or Uncle Ben or Rice A Roni or that gluey stuff the school sometimes served with LaChoy “chop suey” (although I actually liked even this rice just because it was different).

Gloppy cheesy smelly casseroles never darkened our door, nor did beef liver (but we sometimes had a chicken liver or two roasted as an optional tidbit on the side), nor did overcooked veggies, nor did yams ruined by marshmallows (YUK), nor did sauerkraut.

I should add, however, that we used to LIKE fried balogna sandwiches, which later grossed me out and still do.

I was what they called a big eater yet was skinny throughout childhood, probably due to bicycling and swimming and playing outside so much.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:09 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
Most of my dinners growing up were at least okay as far as taste but I remember at least one with lima beans. I didn't have a problem with the rest of the dish but I remember taking out all the lima beans from the dish.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:46 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
I guess I was lucky that my mom didn’t seem to like certain foods that keep getting mentioned. She never made liver and onions, and I doubt her mother ever did either. My mom was a pretty good cook even though she never loved doing it. Her mother on the other hand was a great cook and she taught my mother pretty well. The only thing I didn’t like that my mom made was fish, because I hated fish of any kind and still do to this day. Other than that, she could make the poorest meal seem delicious. By poor I mean lacking in high quality ingredients or even meat because she was a single mom and didn’t have a lot of money. It would be easier to list my favorite dishes as a child than my least favorite.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:25 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
My mother was a really good cook, and baker. However, she could really KILL some meals. I didn't know that fish could actually be good until I was an adult and either had it out, or made it myself. I don't know what the hell she was serving, but it was always fried, and possibly from the ocean, but it really stunk up the entire house. Overcooked was an understatement.

Boiled Spinach and/or Kale. A veritable vomitorium of flavor. Green, stringy, with a soapy after taste. Yum! I would have rather eaten the stuff you pry out from under your lawn mower at the end of the summer.

Steak - This was hit or miss. Sometimes very good, but other times just dry, chewy, and tasteless. Since, unfortunately, I had no dog to feed it too, I'd have to hide it in a napkin when my mother wasn't looking then excuse myself to go to the bathroom where I'd flush it down the toilet, or throw it out back into the bushes. Even the animals never touched it. It would just have to decompose over time, and had the half life of Plutonium.

Pasta and Peas with watery tomato sauce - There must be some chemical in the Peas that counteract absolutely any goodness in the Pasta. It was like eating something good, then realizing you had been CONNED!

Old 11-28-2018, 05:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
My mother was/is a pretty simple cook. I don't recall her regularly making any particular dish I didn't like. I wasn't a picky eater though. I recall canned spinach one time and that was it. That said, I never tasted many vegetables until I was an adult. It was typically peas, corn or green beans. She never made liver or other commonly disliked meats of any type.

I suppose when you have 4, and much later 5, kids to feed there isn't much room in the budget to buy food that will be wasted or hated.
not having liver may have had to do with what era is was I know my kids, now in their mid to late 50s probably do not remember having liver. If at all they would barely remember. When I was growing up it was something almost every family had at least every few weeks. It made us healthy we were told. I think our parents believed it so they, of course passed the theory down to us.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:44 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Most of my dinners growing up were at least okay as far as taste but I remember at least one with lima beans. I didn't have a problem with the rest of the dish but I remember taking out all the lima beans from the dish.
My sister hated lima beans so much, she would swallow them whole, like pills. I hate them as well. Like most things I hate, it's the texture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink