Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 AM

2,062 posts, read 4,603,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
When I was a kid growing up on the farm, my little sister and I played with the chickens. We watched them hatch, named them, watched them grow, played with them, and ignored Mom's warnings that she'd be cooking them for dinner some day.

So, "fried chicken friends" was my most hated meal--still don't like eating chicken.
My mother's grandparents had a farm that my mother was at often. Her job when there was to catch the newly beheaded chickens and hang them up by their feet on the clothes line so their blood would drain.

Having that chore made her a non-chicken eater. Funny thing was, she made THE best fried chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 08:58 AM

11,519 posts, read 14,782,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
My sister hated lima beans so much, she would swallow them whole, like pills. I hate them as well. Like most things I hate, it's the texture.
Poor kid. I hated them, too. I don't like any beans actually.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:03 AM

273 posts, read 104,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Poor kid. I hated them, too. I don't like any beans actually.
Me too. I call all of them "chalk beans".

Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 AM

12,227 posts, read 21,661,562 times
I love most beans now (except mushy overcooked green beans) but I always hated the lima beans in the frozen succotash (suffertash) that my mom would buy. Not to mention the cooked carrots. Those frozen limas had such an awful chalky texture that I've never eaten them again as an adult.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:13 AM

14,597 posts, read 23,234,658 times
Meat loaf. Yuck.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:23 AM

89,333 posts, read 86,250,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Meat loaf. Yuck.
I couldn't eat meat loaf for years because my family had gone to visit former neighbors who'd moved to a farm. The first time we visited, they had a black angus cow named Agnes. We sat on her and petted her and whatnot.

The next year we went back and asked where Agnes was, and the kids started giggling and said, "You're having her for dinner."

Dinner was meat loaf. I knew I was eating Agnes, and I had such trouble choking it down. It was years before I ate meat loaf again.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:31 AM

7,991 posts, read 7,419,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Why do adults actually think that "guilt trip" works on kids?

Me: "Who cares?" I got slapped. Actually happened, but it may have been "Africa" instead of "China". And it was for backtalk, not necessarily a 12-year-old's callous attitude toward third world children. I wonder if this happened to the South Park creators (remember the "Starvin' Marvin" episode?)

I would have gladly given a month's allowance to e-mail them the ham and string beans, "turnips", and "rice".
Not to mention the fried scrapple. My grandmother made THAT for supper, too often. Bad enough we were forced to choke down that grease every morning for breakfast in the winter. You'd think we were trecking five miles in the snow to a coal stove heated school house, not three blocks to a central heated modern school.
How could I forget to mention "cooked cabbage"? Follow the recipe for "turnips", only substitute cabbage overcooked with potatoes in the beef broth. Stank up the whole house. My mother didn't like to cook. She went back to work when my kid brothers were in first grade (and wasn't usually home for supper). The meals were left up to my grandmother (gag) who didn't like to cook either and only cooked what she knew.

In my early teen years, I'd get copies of "Good Housekeeping", etc. and try dinner myself (I call it DINNER, I refuse to say SUPPER to this day. They always called LUNCH "DINNER", for some reason). Grandma heckled and ridiculed my efforts, called the recipes "high tone-ish" (guess that meant "fancy"?) and prompted my seven-year-old twin kid brothers to say they didn't like it and refuse to eat it.

My friends never asked to eat at my house. That inevitable kettle on the stove said it all.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:34 AM

110 posts, read 90,465 times
This has been a fun, at times cringe-worthy, read. Growing up, meal times could be fun and enjoyable, or a nightmarish battle of wills that often resulted in tears and spankings. Mom hated cooking and I think it showed, she overcooked everything. I might have been a picky eater, although I loved most vegetables but, there was plenty of foods I didn’t like. My mom tried to make things we would eat but, she couldn’t please all of us all the time and we definitely had to stay at the table till it was all gone. At some point I learned to hold my nose and force it down. Fortunately, I was such a slow eater, if we had to be somewhere right after a meal, I was hurried from the table before having finished everything on my plate. School lunch was another nightmare, at least 3 times a week I didn’t bother to eat it…except for grinders aka subs.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:00 PM

42,156 posts, read 75,876,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Everyone keeps mentioning cube steak. The only cube steak we ever had was heavily tenderized and chicken fried and delicious.
Oh, Lord, cube steak - tough, ground beef shaped into a square and cooked until it was like leather. My dad loved it. A plain ol' hamburger would have been much more tasty.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:36 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,573,070 times
wow, this thread has thoroughly grossed me out! I thought I had it bad because my stepmother was a bad cook but, she lacked the imagination to come up with most of the crap discussed here so, it was mostly just overcooked meat and bland frozen veggies. Guess I didn't have it so bad after all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink