Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 04:56 PM

10,912 posts, read 7,414,393 times

Advertisements

Ugh, liver. Mom made me and my brother stay at the table until we ate it. That finally ended when bro barfed it up.

I can't digest bell peppers properly, get bloated and feel lousy, but as a kid, I just knew they were awful, and that wasn't good enough for mom.

Still hate both of those, but have come to love some foods I despised as a kid--avocados, mushrooms, even Brussel sprouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 07:07 PM

118 posts, read 86,142 times
Put me down for split pea soup too. I ate it but did not enjoy it.
Boiled dinner. Ham and cabbage. Nasty slimy cabbage. geesh....
Ordinarily my Mom was a pretty good cook. But you wouldn't know it by these two meals.

TU

Old 11-28-2018, 11:25 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,388,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
My mom must have been a good cook. I thought and thought.....can`t come up with one thing, I didn`t like. My favorites were home made potato pancakes,pierogi and golumpki. She also made a wonderful chicken soup.

What?! You didn't like kotletki? Or fried chicken livers?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:06 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,442,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I truly believe my mom's cooking is the reason I was so skinny as a kid. LOL
Oh my gosh, are we siblings???

Old 11-29-2018, 01:54 AM

61,798 posts, read 87,269,132 times
O was thinking a while about this question and can't recall a single dish I hated when I was a child. Perhaps because people who cooked for me were great cooks? (parents, nanny)
Perhaps because I am not a picky eater?

Old 11-29-2018, 03:36 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
You notice how often "over cooked" has been mentioned....mushy vegetables and shoe leather dry meat?

Old 11-29-2018, 08:26 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When my younger sister got married, she mentioned that she wanted something different for dinner. She was tired of making the same chicken or beef. I said, "Why not get some pork chops? They're on sale this week." She said, "I hate pork chops. They are so dry and chewy."

I said, "Only when Mommy makes them" and I told her how to cook them so that they were moist and delicious. She was amazed.
I was going to mention my Mom's pork chops. She was actually a very good cook but it had been drilled into her during her Home Ec classes that you had to cook pork VERY well or your family would get trichinosis. She also bought thin pork chops to begin with; maybe that was all they sold at the IGA. They were SO dry. I'm not a big meat eater but here you can buy "Iowa-cut" pork chops and they're a lot thicker.

We hated canned peas and you had to eat one for every year of your age.

And I hate liver. I eat almost anything except organ meats. Mom once tried to serve it and just tell us it was "beef" (technically true) but there's no mistaking that taste and texture.

Reading a few more pages of this reminded me: DH grew up very poor- as in sometimes not enough food in the house. He would not eat turnips or cooked cabbage- hated the smell of both- because that's what they had when there wasn't enough money left at the end of the month.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:23 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,435,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Ugh, liver. Mom made me and my brother stay at the table until we ate it. That finally ended when bro barfed it up.

I can't digest bell peppers properly, get bloated and feel lousy, but as a kid, I just knew they were awful, and that wasn't good enough for mom.

Still hate both of those, but have come to love some foods I despised as a kid--avocados, mushrooms, even Brussel sprouts.
I do believe we are related... Mom tried to feed me strained liver as a baby. I ate it, but it came right back up (she said I'd try anything at least once). When she moved to fried liver and onions, I couldn't even be in the house. Tried liver dumpling soup when stationed in Germany, because Leberknodelsuppe just sounded good. Nope. Never got past the broth, much less cut into that big dumpling. Had to give it to Spousal Unit, who enjoyed it.

Bell peppers are the only pepper I will not eat. Despise everything about them: the texture, flavor, belching and bloating. Yuck. I will occasionally make stuffed bell peppers for Spousal Unit, but there's no way I will eat one. I substitute a big stuffed tomato for my dinner.

We tried kidneys when in the UK. Nope. Texture, flavor, odor = barf.

Never had a problem eating avocado, mushrooms, or Brussel sprouts. Still like them.

Never cared much for cooked turnips, although I like them raw or mashed into the potatoes (with lots of butter).

Parsnips - nah.

Rutabagas, yep.

Just tried white sweet potatoes. We peeled and roasted them for Thanksgiving. They were okay, but my taste buds expected a strong sweet potato/yam flavor and didn't get that, so I don't know if I like them or not. Have to try again with different cooking method.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:08 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You notice how often "over cooked" has been mentioned....mushy vegetables and shoe leather dry meat?
Yup. I noticed, and that’s partly why I liked my parents’ cooking—they did not overcook either veggies or meat.

However, in those days pork was not so tastelessly lean in the first place, AND standard advice always told cooks to cook pork to a fartheewell due to trichinosis fears. Nowadays, t-worm isn’t much of a concern. Some people cook pork “medium” and it’s not a problem.

I counted at least 7 posts about a kid barfing unwanted food, as a way of making sure mom never served that food again. That qualifies as spoiled brat to me, unless it is stuff like undercooked eggs (health hazard) or rare meat (understandable that a kid would have a tough time ingesting bloody meat).

Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooluser View Post
Put me down for split pea soup too. I ate it but did not enjoy it.
Boiled dinner. Ham and cabbage. Nasty slimy cabbage. geesh....
Ordinarily my Mom was a pretty good cook. But you wouldn't know it by these two meals.

TU
I loved what mom called a boiled dinner. Yes, cabbage can be slimy but mom only cooked it about 20 minutes, just at the end. She would use either ham or brisket and cook it all day with potatoes and carrots. As for split pea soup: I agree and yet, today it is, by far my favorite soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink