Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 11:54 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,486,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Missouri Casserole. Which was raw hamburger, sliced onions, sliced potatoes and canned tomatoes in layers baked in a Pyrex casserole. I hated it.

Also, my mom was convinced that fish was brain food so she’d buy frozen haddock in a box which I’d find floating in the kitchen sink to defrost when I got home from school and I knew I was doomed.
Dotted with margarine and a few squirts of reconstituted lemon juice and baked to within an inch of its life.

And if that wasn’t bad enough she’d bake cannedstewed tomatoes in a casserole with cubed wonder bread on top.

Horrible.
Taste was pretty much agreeable on all fronts - I liked pasta a little al dente so I'd volunteer to strain the pasta and would always take it off a little early - no one ever said anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 11:56 AM

8,869 posts, read 5,214,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
What?! You didn't like kotletki? Or fried chicken livers?
Don`t know. Never had either.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:02 PM

44 posts, read 53,147 times
Boxed mac & cheese with tuna and peas (Yellow Death)
ANY Hamburger Helper
Liver & Onions
Chili mac (macaroni and whatever tomato product was currently available)
Fish sticks

Old 11-29-2018, 12:05 PM

13,774 posts, read 12,632,950 times
Strogenoff. Don't know what it was about it. Its things that I normally like, too...Maybe it was just mom's recipe? I've never much cared for it.

Canned Peas; Frozen Vegetable Medley. I used to hate canned green beans but they've grown on me.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:43 PM

3,009 posts, read 6,338,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Missouri Casserole. Which was raw hamburger, sliced onions, sliced potatoes and canned tomatoes in layers baked in a Pyrex casserole. I hated it.

Also, my mom was convinced that fish was brain food so she’d buy frozen haddock in a box which I’d find floating in the kitchen sink to defrost when I got home from school and I knew I was doomed.
Dotted with margarine and a few squirts of reconstituted lemon juice and baked to within an inch of its life.

And if that wasn’t bad enough she’d bake cannedstewed tomatoes in a casserole with cubed wonder bread on top.

Horrible.
Ha Ha..S%$t on a shingle, as we called it in grade school. Chipped beef over toast.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:58 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,471,899 times
If it came from a can, that was dinner...beef stew, ravioli, spaghetti-in-a-can, beanie weenie (what is that, anyway?). Then later it was off-brand tv dinners, and frozen off-brand pot pies warmed up in a toaster oven. The tuna pies were the most gross. It took a long time for me to appreciate tuna again after those.

I did get to visit my aunt and granny twice and from them I learned that there was food that was fresh and didn’t come out of a can. They had gardens and did canning, made their own jam and fruit preserves, and they baked cakes and pies and bread and made fried chicken and ice cream. I remember wishing I could just stay with them. And I had a much older, grownup sister who I visited and learned about salads and fresh vegetables from her. I had never even seen a bell pepper or red onion or fresh mushroom before eating one of her amazing salads.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:47 PM

27,073 posts, read 12,053,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
If it came from a can, that was dinner...beef stew, ravioli, spaghetti-in-a-can, beanie weenie (what is that, anyway?). Then later it was off-brand tv dinners, and frozen off-brand pot pies warmed up in a toaster oven. The tuna pies were the most gross. It took a long time for me to appreciate tuna again after those.

I did get to visit my aunt and granny twice and from them I learned that there was food that was fresh and didn’t come out of a can. They had gardens and did canning, made their own jam and fruit preserves, and they baked cakes and pies and bread and made fried chicken and ice cream. I remember wishing I could just stay with them. And I had a much older, grownup sister who I visited and learned about salads and fresh vegetables from her. I had never even seen a bell pepper or red onion or fresh mushroom before eating one of her amazing salads.

I too had a mother that used only canned food and like you when I visited my grandmother's house and ate huge, home cooked meals, I was in heaven. Every time I visited her alone, she'd always prepare my favorites from scratch.

You'd never convince me home cooked meals don't matter.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:55 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,486,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There was something called Chipped Beef Patty? I may have the name wrong. It was a frozen "beef" patty thing, with a pat of butter. I remember telling my Mom I didn't like it, and of course "you eat it or nothing" so I ate it, and threw it up. It had gristle or something, which to this day, makes me gag.

I've always been kinda squeamish about meat in general.
It's amazing the things in both our childhood and current day pass for food.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:59 PM

12,227 posts, read 21,635,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post

When I was in college, I dated a guy for a while who said that his mother had admitted she purposely cooked unappetizing meals for the family to keep her own weight down. Maybe your mother had the same motive?

Old 11-29-2018, 04:00 PM

12,227 posts, read 21,635,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Strogenoff. Don't know what it was about it. Its things that I normally like, too...Maybe it was just mom's recipe? I've never much cared for it.
My mom never made stroganoff, and it always sounded so exotic to me when people ate it in books. I've made it 2-3 times as an adult and it's just not a hit with me either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink