Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 04:20 PM

8,216 posts, read 12,968,545 times

Advertisements

My Mom was an amazing cook and she knew what the kids would eat. I never did like fish too much so she avoided it (or made me something different). The only thing I really disliked as a kid was her spaghetti with meat sauce; for some reason she never drained the meat enough to get rid of all the grease. It tasted good while eating it but I always got indigestion a few hours after eating it.

I loved a lot of her standards like split pea soup, fried pork chops, pot roast and "Chicken/Turkey ala king". As a matter of fact I was trying to find a can of pea soup in the stores around here recently and none of them are stocking it. You can buy all kinds of bizarre soups but no split pea. I plan on making some soon and freezing it; it will probably be healthier than the canned stuff.

Another thing Mom did was introduce me to an appreciation of vegetables. My Dad HATED spinach and squash (all types). Mom still served them to us kids as an "add on" dish. To this day my favorite side dish for a steak is Spinach & Summer squash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 04:59 PM

34,383 posts, read 20,651,584 times
I hated sauerkraut! Everyone in my family loved it.

I would qualify as a finicky eater and I was very skinny as a kid. I hated almost all veggies except corn and potatoes. And I loved all meat including liver (hated the onions) and all pork, chicken dishes. I am pretty much a meat lover and still am.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:03 PM

44 posts, read 53,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Strogenoff. Don't know what it was about it. Its things that I normally like, too...Maybe it was just mom's recipe? I've never much cared for it.

Canned Peas; Frozen Vegetable Medley. I used to hate canned green beans but they've grown on me.
Strogenoff was the one thing my mom didn't mess up blissfully, though she would somehow manage to cook the living daylights out of hamburger if it was the only meat available.

With you on the canned peas now that I think about.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:53 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,471,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
When I was in college, I dated a guy for a while who said that his mother had admitted she purposely cooked unappetizing meals for the family to keep her own weight down. Maybe your mother had the same motive?

No, I wish that was all that was going on there, but it wasn’t.

But, on the bright side, I was a very skinny kid, and stayed like that!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:00 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,471,899 times
War trace, you can make your own split pea soup, it’s delicious and easy, I love it! And I do make big batches and freeze it for future meals.

If you need suggestions regarding making it, DM me.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:34 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,518,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There was something called Chipped Beef Patty? I may have the name wrong. It was a frozen "beef" patty thing, with a pat of butter. I remember telling my Mom I didn't like it, and of course "you eat it or nothing" so I ate it, and threw it up. It had gristle or something, which to this day, makes me gag.

I've always been kinda squeamish about meat in general.
Was that Salisbury Steak

Old 11-30-2018, 01:23 AM

4,908 posts, read 3,171,214 times
Dried-out pork chops. Green beans.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:49 AM

37,213 posts, read 42,485,486 times
I wasn't a huge fan of the liver and onions and I'm not sure why that was such a staple in the 50's and 60's. My kids are adults and they've never had it and neither has anyone else they know. Crazy. Mostly I liked the food my mom made...spaghetti, tacos, various forms of chicken and beef. My dad was a meat cutter so our freezer was often stocked with meat but we got the creamed tuna on toast and "breakfast for dinner" meals fairly regularly too. No fish that I recall even though it's a staple in my diet now.

Mom liked to cook, we liked to eat!

Old 11-30-2018, 06:21 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,051,623 times
Liver. The cat and I had a deal worked out though.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:30 AM

21,573 posts, read 10,720,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, Lord, cube steak - tough, ground beef shaped into a square and cooked until it was like leather. My dad loved it. A plain ol' hamburger would have been much more tasty.
It’s what we make chicken fried steak with. It has to be tenderized though. It is really good that way. I don’t use it for anything else. And honestly, I don’t cook chicken fried steak any more. I haven’t in years. Too fatty and makes a huge mess to clean up, but it is real good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink