Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yep my mother got it in her head to put stewed tomatoes ,okra and pieces of white bread and she called that tomatoe stew it was gag me stew LOL . I could not hack it and I would never eat it and neither did my dad .
Was that something she came up with when she was a kid? Sounds like something I would concoct as an after school snack (not that particularly, but weird combinations of food). There were things I’d love and see if my kids would like it later. They didn’t lol. I’d never force it on them though.

When my kids were little I read an article saying that the old way of forcing kids to finish everything on their plates was actually not good because kids know when they’re full, and forcing them to continue eating after they’re full can make them overeaters later in life. It made sense to me so I didn’t do that to my kids. My mother-in-law thought I was not being a good disciplinarian if I didn’t make them finish their food (because of course her mother grew up during the Depression and she made them do it). I just made my kids at least try foods, but if they said they didn’t like it I didn’t force them to finish it. As a former picky eater myself, I knew what it was like.

Neither one of my kids are picky anymore, and they don’t overeat, so I think I did the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:47 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,402,967 times
Chicken Chow Mein straight from the can with no other added seasoning or flavor. I don’t think my mother even owned soy sauce. Anyway, it was disgusting.

I hated it and thought I hated Chinese (or Chinese-American) food in general until I was cajoled by my freshman college roommate into going to a Chinese restaurant.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Tuna casserole and chicken or turkey a la king. yuck! My Mom didn't have patience enough to cook many things I liked. She looked at it as another chore. I enjoy cooking when I'm in the mood. I was grown before I liked chicken pot pie, but now it's one of my favorites.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:25 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Liver. My mom only cooked it about once a year, but it was terrible.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Vegetarian dishes. My grand mother made wonderful vegetarian dishes. But I got hungry after eating them.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:52 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,135,932 times
growing up my mom was a pretty good cook. i kind of remember my dad making stuff when he was around (when i was really little) and would make cheese toast and it was really good! i think that and eggs, and chocolate milk were the only things he could make

my mom was a good cook but we didn't always have a lot of money. and there were a lot of kids, so we had hamburger helpera lot and canned vegetables. Thats a meal i really remember, hamburger helper with green beans and then a slice of bread with butter. we had that A LOT. before my mom started drinking, she would make stuff from scratch but the more kids she had the less time she had.

There were meals I didn't like that i thought were bad, but my mom made them because her mom made them and they were cheap to make.

I never liked:

chipped beef on toast, salmon patties (canned salmon and then fried... eww lol) chicken and dumplings (the bread balls would be wet and it was just chicken and bread balls with can of cream of chicken)

oh so funny story lol. i thought i hated pot roast because my mom always made hers on the stove with not that much seasonings. I have since made it myself and i make mine in the crockpot and it is soooo freakin good.

also always hated swiss steak, not bc of the flavors but because of cube steak I HATE CUBE STEAK lol people say it tastes like hamburgers but it always hurt my teeth ot chew it.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:27 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
growing up my mom was a pretty good cook. i kind of remember my dad making stuff when he was around (when i was really little) and would make cheese toast and it was really good! i think that and eggs, and chocolate milk were the only things he could make

my mom was a good cook but we didn't always have a lot of money. and there were a lot of kids, so we had hamburger helpera lot and canned vegetables. Thats a meal i really remember, hamburger helper with green beans and then a slice of bread with butter. we had that A LOT. before my mom started drinking, she would make stuff from scratch but the more kids she had the less time she had.

There were meals I didn't like that i thought were bad, but my mom made them because her mom made them and they were cheap to make.

I never liked:

chipped beef on toast, salmon patties (canned salmon and then fried... eww lol) chicken and dumplings (the bread balls would be wet and it was just chicken and bread balls with can of cream of chicken)

oh so funny story lol. i thought i hated pot roast because my mom always made hers on the stove with not that much seasonings. I have since made it myself and i make mine in the crockpot and it is soooo freakin good.

also always hated swiss steak, not bc of the flavors but because of cube steak I HATE CUBE STEAK lol people say it tastes like hamburgers but it always hurt my teeth ot chew it.
bread n butter...haven't had that in years... my sister and I ate a whole loaf once and a stick of butter.... my mother looked and looked …. we denied everything... hid the bread wrapper..
she got upset...we blamed our brother who wasn't there.. at the moment..

swiss steak.....if slow cooked like a pot roast it is good (with gravy)

Old 12-04-2018, 10:40 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,420 times
This risotto my mother cooked which was basically some rice and vegetables all floating around in an anaemic tomato sauce. I usually needed a few kgs of KFC to fill me up aftwards.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:31 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
bread n butter...haven't had that in years... my sister and I ate a whole loaf once and a stick of butter.... my mother looked and looked …. we denied everything... hid the bread wrapper..
she got upset...we blamed our brother who wasn't there.. at the moment..

swiss steak.....if slow cooked like a pot roast it is good (with gravy)
Reminds me of a family vaca in Maine when I was 14.

I disliked dairy products, partly because of limited lactose tolerance.

But on that trip, I had some local dairy’s milk with cereal. WOW!!!!! It tasted soooo good. I drank a few glasses of it, along with the even more fabulous butter and bread. LOTS of bread and butter. I got stomachaches and had to cut back. But it was delicious milk and butter.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:17 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Black eyed peas, wild rice, and spinach. These dishes can taste wonderful, but they were always bland and unappetizing in my household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink