Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 07:35 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,133,584 times

Advertisements

This is a fun thread. My Mom was a great cook, she learned from my grandmother who grew up on a farm and really could cook. The only thing I just couldn't eat was liver and onions. (fried chicken livers in gravy are awesome though). Fortunately, my Mom was fair and I never had to do more than taste something. If they had liver, I got a hamburger patty. Also, I did not like meat when I was young, so the family doctor told my Mom to cook my meat RARE, because well done was probably too dry for me. Beef of course, not pork or chicken. Can you believe it? But it worked!. To this day, rare steak is my pick (rare ground sirloin too, only the good stuff). I can pretty much say I haven't met many foods I don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 07:56 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,737 times
I just remembered another one but from an aunt who was babysitting me one day. For lunch she made some kind of creamed vegetable I think broccoli and poured it over some toast slices. It was awful and I had to sit there and eat it. My uncle came home for lunch that day and he loved it . Yuck. I basically had no lunch that day as only ate two bites and sat there for an hour or so until she cleared my plate away. I asked her to make me something else a couple times even during the meal lol, and she said no. Which is as it should be. But that stuff was awful.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I just remembered another one but from an aunt who was babysitting me one day. For lunch she made some kind of creamed vegetable I think broccoli and poured it over some toast slices. It was awful and I had to sit there and eat it. My uncle came home for lunch that day and he loved it . Yuck. I basically had no lunch that day as only ate two bites and sat there for an hour or so until she cleared my plate away. I asked her to make me something else a couple times even during the meal lol, and she said no. Which is as it should be. But that stuff was awful.
sounds like what my parents did to me with vegetables....sit til you eat it...…. I haven't had most veggies in 35 yrs because of it..and I never "forced" my kid to eat anything (and incidently he's a pharmacist and health nut today )

Old 12-15-2018, 04:59 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
sounds like what my parents did to me with vegetables....sit til you eat it...…. I haven't had most veggies in 35 yrs because of it..and I never "forced" my kid to eat anything (and incidently he's a pharmacist and health nut today )
My first job was in a grocery store's meat department, I was 15. A buddy that was in high school with me also worked there. Potatoes came in bulk and had to be bagged in 5 and 10 pound sizes. It was his job and after dealing with the rotten ones mixed in, he swore he would never eat a potato again.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:52 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
My mother was a wonderful cook, so there were very few meals she made that I disliked. Even her liver and onions was delicious - until I found a white tube-like thing in the meat that turned me off from liver forever.

Her roast beef was always way too rare, and I would just pour her homemade beef gravy over a slice a bread and eat that instead. Her gravy was awesome, but blubbery bloody meat was not.

We ate pretty well, but there must have been some lean times since I remember meals of mayonnaise sandwiches on white bread, cereal for supper and something called "hunters stew" .... a can of vegetable soup mixed with ground hamburger.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:06 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Mother is a good cook and she went with the times. One Christmas dinner was a bust though The salmon mousse appetizer was called 'fishy pudding' by grandmother.
Lots and lots of vegetables, very little meat.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:46 AM

339 posts, read 148,585 times
My Mom made Sweet and Sour Pork Ribs and Rice very nasty! I don't like sweet and sour anything together though!

Various Invention Casseroles, not a fan either!

My Mom is a fabulous cook and I learned well from her. Now she says I am the better cook than she is. Maybe.....

If I don't like the texture or taste I am not eating it. So no Lima Beans, Peas, Beets, Yams with marshmallows, Tuna, Macaroni and Cheese or canned Spinach. NASTY!

My parents both grew up poor during the 40's so they were War/Depression era babies. It influenced how they raised their kids to a point. I never had to eat peas after I became a teenager. WIN!

Last edited by FierceKaia; 12-17-2018 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: adding info

Old 12-17-2018, 07:26 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Back in the 60's our family went on vacation. My mom made potato salad. Fresh, it was to die for. She froze it for the trip. OMG, it was horrible, tasted like sawdust. She only tried that once.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal.M.I. View Post
Me too. I call all of them "chalk beans".
Good name for them.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:38 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
worst culinary tragedy was the Lutefisk Assault of 1965 which was immediately followed by the Great Hunger Strike of 1965.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink