Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:17 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,341,315 times

Advertisements

I hated anything made with tomato soup and hamburger. My mom's specialty was adding macaroni to it, and she called it Beefaroni. I thought it should be named Barfaroni.

(And, yes, I know I should be grateful for ANY food when so many do without, but . . . whine.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 07:23 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
Cream of Wheat. Not enough brown sugar in the world to make it palatable. And when we started going south for the winter and I ran into grits, I was convinced they are the same thing.

I can distinctly remember having to sit at the table to finish my food after others had left, but I can not, for the life of me, remember what it was I was trying to choke down.

I also didn't like egg salad as a child, but I love it now. Just had some for breakfast.

I have a weird memory of my mom serving rice pudding for dinner (not dessert) and neither my sister nor I would eat it. We were sent to bed without supper. I can't figure this out, mom was usually a good cook, dad had a steady job so it's not like we were in a lean period.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:43 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
I hated canned Cream of Mushroom soup with those bits of rubber masquerading as mushrooms floating around in it. Years later, fresh mushrooms were a revelation!

Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,293 times
Beef Stroganoff. My mother always made it with ground beef and I had to choke down a few bites at least, which always made me GAG because I hate ground meats and still do to this day..BLEERRRKK

Old 11-26-2018, 07:49 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
"Ham and string beans". A soup (?) stew (?) made out of a boiled ham bone, then potatoes and green beans added to cook in the broth until mushy.

The only word I can think of to come home from school to find a kettle of that on the stove? Dismay.

Runner up: "Turnips". A soup (?) stew (?) made out of a boiled beef bone, then potatoes and turnips added to cook in the broth until mushy.

Honorable mention: "Rice". This was a kettle of mushy, gummy white rice cooked with milk and sugar and served as the main dish. Yuck.

We weren't poor. My grandmother (who lived with us) did a lot of the cooking and I guess no one told her the Great Depression was over.

I only eat turnips raw, or sometimes in a pot roast. I never eat green beans unless they're in a green bean casserole (with mushroom soup and french fried onions). I hate rice in any form...unless it's really good, GOOD creamy rice pudding.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 11-26-2018 at 07:57 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Missouri Casserole. Which was raw hamburger, sliced onions, sliced potatoes and canned tomatoes in layers baked in a Pyrex casserole. I hated it.

Also, my mom was convinced that fish was brain food so she’d buy frozen haddock in a box which I’d find floating in the kitchen sink to defrost when I got home from school and I knew I was doomed.
Dotted with margarine and a few squirts of reconstituted lemon juice and baked to within an inch of its life.

And if that wasn’t bad enough she’d bake cannedstewed tomatoes in a casserole with cubed wonder bread on top.

Horrible.

Omg this sounds exactly how like my mom always cooked. She just didn't like cooking (and still doesn't) and her idea of cooking was usually to burn the sh** out of whatever and call it good. Food wasn't a celebration of life for her lol

Also, I'd like to add boiled to death canned vegetables...I actually gagged just now remembering the overcooked carrots BLEERRRKFFGGGG

Thank goodness we know about roasting vegetables these days !!!

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Sauerkraut and dumplings.
sauerkraut and dumplings together? Yuck!!!! I like them both,, always have but not together.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Hated brussels sprouts. Still do.

You're missing out. I apparently make the best roasted brussels sprouts on the planet because they don't last in my house. Everyone gobbles them up, even the dogs !

Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Once a week we had liver and onions. I never could like it, and in those days you either ate it or did without. My mom would make mashed potatoes, biscuits and gravy to go with the liver and onions so my supper one night a week was mashed taters and biscuits and gravy. Which wasn’t too bad as I recall.

I'm right there with you Ron61. I hated liver in any form, but liver and onions were the worst. My mom had this habit of way over cooking the liver. Later on in life I medium rare liver and it still tasted terrible, but it was easier to eat. If I never see liver again, I will have lived a successful life.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
Green bean casserole with canned green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and dead fried onion rings.

Tuna noodle casserole with canned tuna, pasta, and god knows what.

Lima beans, liver, canned vegetables, canned beef stew. Ewww.

Hamburger helper.

Sloppy Joes.

Jello - lots of sugar and always in strange colors.

Kraft macaroni and cheese from the box.

Any Campbell's canned soup. Any frozen food by Stouffers. HUGE amount of salt!

Potato chips with onion dip made from onion soup mix in a box.

Ice cream that never gets hard in the freezer, no matter how long it stays there, because of all the gum-this and gum-that.

Margarine. It is only one molecule away from plastic.

And never forget canned fruit cocktail where all the little bits of fruits all taste exactly the same.

I hate every single one of these as well...except for maybe the potato chips.

The more replies I read, the more it seems we all grew up in an age where cooking wasn't an actual THING. I'm just glad it became one lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink